Heathrow Car rental advice to drivers re UK cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
So firstly we are a danger on the roads and get huffy, now we have no sense of humour!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To be fair, I didn't think it was particularly bad - and at least got some kind of a "be careful / drive sensibly" message across in mildly entertaining way.
Having no doubt been slated, they've now taken it down and even appoplogised - but this is being mealy mouthed seemingly - hey ho.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
SITE IS DOWN, CTC tweeted a grab of the site....

SITE READS....

Website is Down!!
We apologise to all our customers but this website is currently down due we believe to a large amount of traffic received from a campaign by Twitter® users.

We are hoping to restore normal service as soon as possible.

We apologise also to all those cyclists and other website visitors who took offence at some light-hearted comments that were on this website about cyclists. All these offending remarks have been removed.

---------------------

Perhaps they are updating the site content?

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
http://www.heathrow-car-rental.co.uk/information/driving-in-the-uk.html

Here's the cached version.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ml+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a

Beware Cyclists !!

In London, as in other places, cyclists can be a bit of a hazard, since though they pay no road tax, they still have the same rights as any other vehicle. No law requires them to wear reflective clothing, have lights, or give any sort of signal. Furthermore, cyclists tend to ignore traffic lights and one-way streets, so please be careful you don't hit them, cyclists become most indignant if you hit them, and legally, it is always the motorists fault.
Beware Pedestrians !!

Unlike in the USA and some other countries "jay-walking", or pedestrians crossing the road randomly is not an offence. Also, unlike in some European countries, it is customary to stop at a Zebra Crossing, so pedestrians can cross. But regardless of whether a pedestrian is crossing the road in the right place, or at some other random point, it is strictly forbidden to hit them. Hitting pedestrians, even if they are on a road or any other dangerous place, is considered "Dangerous Driving" and specific laws have been drafted in the UK to discourage, indeed outlaw, the hitting of pedestrians.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Already being discussed HERE

snorri

Legendary Member
Slightly off topic, but after boarding the Harwich - Hook of Holland ferry this summer I picked up a leaflet on board. This asked all cyclists to wear Hi-viz and a helmet when boarding, and also to wear the same before going on to the vehicle deck prior to embarkation. There was no indication as to where one could borrow hiviz or helmet, and the deck crew didn't seem concerned.:rolleyes:
We were instructed to push the bike off and on, which considering the gaps in the ramp was a reasonable request,I thought :smile:..

jarlrmai

Veteran
I doubt there's enough data on that site to trip even the most frugal of pay as you go hosting plans.

The weirdest thing about the cycling content to me is the last sentence, overall a very odd thing to have on your company website.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's a pity that during the run up to the TdF happening over here, the media showed many items about cyclists safety and road conditions etc, but from what i saw they never mentioned that "road tax" hasn't paid for "the right to use public roads"since 1937! A lost opportunity to shout it out loud to the dimwits!:thumbsdown:

Top Bottom