Heathrow Car rental advice to drivers re UK cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jarlrmai

Veteran
So the site is still down? How long does it take to write some new copy? I find it hard to believe it's a traffic issue at this point.

PedalCat

I like sandwiches
Designed for publicity. Seems it worked.

snorri

Legendary Member
I've ridden on and off most of the times I've been on that ferry....Is asking cyclists to walk on and off a relatively new thing. do you know?
My apologies for confusing the issue. The leaflet referred to the Harwich - Hook ferry, but the request to walk was on the Ijmuiden - Tyne service.
There were considerable gaps between the segments of the ramp, worse than any tram lines, so I felt the no cycling precaution was reasonable.

Dan B

Disengaged member
It is odd. Surely that's costing them some serious money is lost business by now?
If they're a small company (the site certainly seems to have been created on a small budget) then probably less than the cost of dealing with the fallout from leaving it up.

Custom24

Über Member
Mealy mouthed response that's almost worse than the original content.
They've changed it slightly since -

Website is Down!!
This website is currently down due to a large amount of traffic received recently. Normal service will resume as soon as possible.
We sincerely apologise to all those cyclists and other website visitors who took offence at some comments that were on this website about cyclists.
The comments were meant to be light-hearted and it was never our intention to cause any distress or offence to anyone.
All these offending remarks have been removed.

[QUOTE 3207081, member: 30090"]Apart from the mention of road tax and presumed liability I don't see anything wrong with the message.[/QUOTE]
I thought it was quite funny and reasonably accurate too

Designed for publicity. Seems it worked.

I'm not sure - I would have thought that Heathrow car rental was a fairly captive market, and even then mostly for overseas customers, so can't really see them being much in the way of publicity from this. I suspect more likely to be a bad joke that someone's getting chewed out for now.

Top Bottom