hedgehog advice required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Try to tempt him/her out with dog food?
Not sure they're super-prickly, they always seem to appear on news items being held with little more than a pair of latex gloves for protection. Some gardening gloves or similar would probably suffice.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
If they're curled up, they can be very prickly. If they're uncurled and walking about, they're quite fluffly underneath and will walk about in your hands without pricking you. That said, the prickles won't draw blood or anything whatever you do - it's just like handling holly leaves - a bit uncomfortable.

They have tough skins, so if you can just grap a leg or a handful of prickles and pull, you should get it out.

Do watch for the fleas - they're often heaving with them, so change your clothes after handling.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
We rescued one about this time last year that had got tethered by a bit of spat-out bubble gum. It was very thin from being trapped that way for some time.

It ate unbelievable amounts of cat food and slugs while living in a box in the corner of our hall, and got quite tame in the week or so before we released it.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The spikes have a definite direction to them, so it'll be a lot easier to get it out of whatever it's stuck in forwards rather than backwards.

Crowbar?
Seriously, a pair of gardening gloves will do. Just try to get your hand underneath him/her and lift. They're not that hard to handle.
A bowl of dogfood afterwards will probably be much appreciated.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
TheDoctor said:
The spikes have a definite direction to them, so it'll be a lot easier to get it out of whatever it's stuck in forwards rather than backwards.

When uncurled, yes, they mostly point away from the head.

When rolled up, the spikes seem to go in all directions. (Or so I recall - haven't handled one for a bit). If it's being prodded, a hedgehog is most likely to roll up as much as it can. In any case, the spikes aren't so long or stiff that they're likely to be a serious problem in getting one out of a hole.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Is there a velcro opposite for hedgehogs? Maybe a bit cheese and pineapple?

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
well here's the little fella, before and after rescue. he was last seen heading in the direction of under the bike shed. where the sonic the hedgehog designers got the idea that they are speedy creatures, i have no idea…

buggi

Bird Saviour
i tell you what they really like....

snails. yumyum ... much more than slugs. they like to crunch em. i know coz i've rescue a baby that had lost his mom (definitely lost, mum didn't come back and baby had been out in daylight for hours) and before i took him to sanctuary i collect slugs and snails.. and he always went for the snails every time.

i thought he was a bit lethargic at first, until i put him in my bedroom at night and then i realised he was just nocturnal! i had forgotten and feck me they make loads of noise at night!

as for the fleas... they only like hedgehogs. not dogs, cats or humans and they just fall off and die if they are not on a hedgehog. i never got bit by a hedgehog flea once and i've rescued a few.

Top Bottom