hedgehog advice required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
FEED YOUR HOG!
He looks very small. He'll need a lot of food to fatten up to survive winter. Stick some dog food under your shed, where cats and the like can't get to it. Look for hog poo (looks like a black, digested slug) to see where he is. Oh and help him make a nest by making a hog box. Lots of info at various hog rescue websites...

I used to be a hoggie rescuer. Very pleasing when you release a fat hog in the Spring. :biggrin:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
As you have mentionned it - hog pooh that is. I have found some sloppy black deposits of unknown origin on my door step. Someone said they thought it was from a fox, but even to my inexpert eye, it looks a bit small for a fox, as compared to a cat pooh. Any ideas?

Noodley

If you feed hedgehogs in your garden do not be surprised if you are woken by noises which sound like a large evil beast is outside eating a large partially dead horse...:biggrin:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I often hear a Ark Ark sort of noise, which I thought was fox.

There are lots of birds in the tall trees not far from end of the garden.
The other day one was going "ark ark ooooeeeescchhhhark", sometimes there were three arks and sometimes seven. What was that?

Speicher said:

The other day one was going "ark ark ooooeeeescchhhhark", sometimes there were three arks and sometimes seven. What was that?

Three arks?

I've Noah dear.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
alecstilleyedye said:
where the sonic the hedgehog designers got the idea that they are speedy creatures, i have no idea…

They normally sort of shuffle around vaguely with the legs bent underneath them. Now and again, though, you'll see one hoist itself up with its legs straight and run, and they can run quite fast when they choose to.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Speicher said:

I would reckon it's fox. They sound completely different from what I would have expected from a dog-like creature. Sound more like a cross between a wolf's howl and a cat screeching. Very odd - but once heard and confirmed, it's not forgotten.

We have a lot of suburban foxes around here - we once had 5 cubs playing in our garden one morning, trying to climb up the children's slide and eyeing the little trampoline with great interest. They later chewed through the elastic on the trampoline !

Noodley said:
If you feed hedgehogs in your garden do not be surprised if you are woken by noises which sound like a large evil beast is outside eating a large partially dead horse...:ohmy:
Hoggies mating or a hog being peeled by a badger?

"Noah idea" Good grief......:biggrin:

Speicher said:
Just for you, Aperitif, what can I hear in the garden that goes

ooooooooeeeeeeeooooooooobeeepbarrppbeePPPP?

Apart from it sounding remarkably like a recent Chuffy youtube video of rubber pants (:wacko:) I can only think that such a painful exclamation would equate to a
tore knee ow... no that's not right, I haven't taken the Ps into consideration.

Is it a dalhia currents?

Top Bottom