Hey you, litter lout!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Its not only cyclists litter but all litter really bugs me, why are people so lazy?
So many people cannot take any responsibility for anything. Someone else's problem to clean up after them. How often do you see take-away wrappers just 10' from a bin.
I think that anyone over the age of about 40 had 'keep Britain tidy' and not dropping litter everywhere, drummed into them by their parents. Not quite sure what's going on now. I 'litter pick' my front garden every single day, often twice. There is a large bin outside the school, some 30 yards up but people seem to prefer littering the local front gardens. Mine's not much but I do like it to be neat and tidy.

Its not only cyclists litter but all litter really bugs me, why are people so lazy?

Mount Everest isn't spared the litter either:

martinedstrom1_0.jpg

They are likely the same muppets unable to put their gel wrappers in their jersey pocket on sportives too!
When I did the great manchester cycle, I was riding behind a guy who had ate a banana. He was holding the skin out to the marshalls that were stood near bins for a good 5 or 6 miles. None of which took it off him, he ended up throwing it in the end :sad:

People see the pro's doing it. (Littering that is.) Something pro cycling needs to put right.
People don't see that often there's a clean up following before they open the roads again. Not all the time, but it's common.

Katherine

Guru
Also at the Great Manchester Cycle last week, I was horrified to see a rider ahead of me drain a bottle of water and throw it to the side. I also had to ride over an empty one because to avoid it would have put me in the way of other riders.

When I did the great manchester cycle, I was riding behind a guy who had ate a banana. He was holding the skin out to the marshalls that were stood near bins for a good 5 or 6 miles. None of which took it off him, he ended up throwing it in the end :sad:

People don't see that often there's a clean up following before they open the roads again. Not all the time, but it's common.

A BANANA SKIN!!!

Probably still there, those things take fifteen hundred years to decay.

PS You are mad.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I try to pick up the litter on the footpath and the road to the village at least once a week. Same old, same old: empty fag packets, chocolate and sweets wrappers, fast food containers, drinks bottles and other convenience items. I fill a plastic bag each time. Makes me very :cursing::cursing::cursing:. For my sake and theirs, I hope I never witness anyone dropping litter along there.

sittingbull

Veteran
Same cartridges as we cyclists use, cheap off the net and a fashionable'hippie drug's at the moment..
Bit worrying then if finding them in the road implies they've been used in a passing car :eek:

Hardly surprising though based on some aromas emanating from passing cars.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I try to pick up the litter on the footpath and the road to the village at least once a week. Same old, same old: empty fag packets, chocolate and sweets wrappers, fast food containers, drinks bottles and other convenience items. I fill a plastic bag each time. Makes me very :cursing::cursing::cursing:. For my sake and theirs, I hope I never witness anyone dropping litter along there.

I do the same around here - most depressing. They're all cowards who only do it when they know no one's about. I'd love to catch one of these tossers at it too. There's one person who lobs his/her empty Mayfair fag packets out of their car at one particular spot nearly every day. Its become a war of attrition as I always pick them up. I'm not going to let the bastard win! The packets say on them 'Smoking Kills' - well I wish they'd bloody well hurry up and finish the job. There's also 'costa coffee' cretin- with an empty carton in the same spot every day. Someone else also lobs their used scratchcards out of their car window too. Same spot every time.

As for cyclists chucking stuff by the roadside- I had a first today. A chain plus jockey wheel lobbed up over a telegraph wire 25 feet or so up (as posted in 'your ride today') Took a poor quality pic but you get the drift.......

image-jpg.95167.jpg

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member

Why didn't he stop at a bin? It's not a pro race, it's a sportive

Trickedem

Guru
Discarded Gel wrappers really get my goat. I can't really see the point of gels anyway. I had the fortune to do a ride in Norway last month and the Norwegians are just as bad!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The twats that get to me are the ones in cars that chuck fast food crap out of the window.

The Peak District is beautiful countryside and there are a few major roads running across it. What happens is a carload of people stop at, say, KFC in Glossop. They eat on the way. After a few miles, in the middle of nowhere, they finish. So they just open the window and chuck out the rubbish.

Result is crap permanently at the sides of some of the most beautiful roads in the country

Hyslop

Veteran
Theres a small,mostly unused (save by me)lane branching off one of my regular runs.In the days when car boot sales were popular,Sunday in particular,I would often come upon that days unsold junk,discarded in the dyke,videos were a frequent item I recall.On one occasion,in a field stood an ironing board,complete with iron,awaiting the Phantom Valet of Little Orton! The best yet was a table,chairs,and surviving plate,all in a clearing.Mind you.I suspect that may have been a Young Farmers al fresco etiquette session,badly needed from what Ive seen!

Top Bottom