England : West Yorkshire Hilly Half Century from Todmorden - Sat, 19th March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Battery management will be required, although the Bosch crank drive system is largely set and forget, no throttle, if you don't pedal you don't go.

So it will be up to me to put in plenty of effort to avoid running out of power - pedalling a 20kg+ bike unassisted is not an enticing prospect even on flattish ground.

I've done a couple of horridly hilly circuits in North Yorkshire, climbing out of Pateley Bridge wasn't easy, although I think my record for nasty climbs is probably Snake Yate Bank, near Boltby, it has five black arrows on the OS map, all pointing in the wrong direction.

I was passed on that one by a couple of roadies - less than half my age and about five times as fit, bless 'em.

http://binged.it/1XAYu37

MikeW-71

Veteran
A great day out on the bikes gents, pleasure to meet you all :biggrin:

That's a nice assortment of hills, even if I did opt out of the really steep one at the end. Still the longest and hilliest ride for me this year, and it felt OK. Time for me to hit the hills more :training::ninja:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A great day out on the bikes gents, pleasure to meet you all :biggrin:

That's a nice assortment of hills, even if I did opt out of the really steep one at the end. Still the longest and hilliest ride for me this year, and it felt OK. Time for me to hit the hills more :training::ninja:
You also thereby opted out of the not so steep hill that followed. And the next steep one. And the long drag after that. Oh, and the other really steep one! :okay:

I enjoyed riding with you and the others today but I can really feel my hilly 51 miles now - I need to get more miles in!

I'll be starting a thread about my coming Glasson Dock ride soon. That will take place 2 weeks from today.

A good days ride,I'm definitely not used to hills anymore since I moved to the flat Cheshire Plain!
I only had a few caramel shortcake pieces to sustain me to the cafe stop and I was certainly
suffering on the last few hills before we got there.
I decided to get the train back from Todmorden but it passed me on the way so thought I'd pick
up one further down the line at Littleborough,however it passed me again just before I got there!
I ended up following the canal towpath all the way into Manchester before peeling off near the Velodrome
and heading off towards Stockport,Total ride length was 84 miles.

Top Bottom