Historical VED info needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone know where I can lay my hands on some info on the historical cost of VED?

I feel the need to put the boot into some spoilt, whining cretins people on the local rag’s website who are peddling the ‘poor oppressed motorist’ line. Given that I’m currently paying £35 p/a in VED and I’m pretty damn sure that I was paying a lot more than that when I bought my first car in 1988, it would be nice to ram some hard figures down their precious little throats….:biggrin:

Trouble is, I can't find any...:biggrin:

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Cheers Maggot. My memory wasn't letting me down, VED was £100 in 1988. Poor hard done by motorists, my arse...

Now don't start getting all frothy Chuffy, you know it's no good for your blood pressure, all that angry of Exe stuff.

U

User482

Yes, you can prove to motorists that the cost of motoring has fallen, but they'll never believe you.

jasper

Ben Lovejoy said:
That's a very low-band car, though. Mine is not a high-band car and it's £180.

Ben

Aye, mine's £185 and I think it goes upto £410 next year...

jasper said:
Aye, mine's £185 and I think it goes upto £410 next year...

Is that going to make you change your car then Jasper, or will you just live with it?

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
User482 said:
Yes, you can prove to motorists that the cost of motoring has fallen, but they'll never believe you.
Even when the figures come from the RAC....:eek:
No, it won't change the minds of those poor, oppressed souls but it can't hurt to make the point.

If you adjust VED for inflation over the last 20 years then it should be at about the £200 mark.

My car is a 1.3 diesel. It's not exactly a rare and exotic species...

jasper

Crackle said:
Is that going to make you change your car then Jasper, or will you just live with it?
Just live with it....I'd be giving it away if I sold it, as although it's only 4 years old, I've done 140k miles in it. Everyone would want to knock the value because of the mileage. Plus, they'd try and knock it as it's fallen into an higher tax bracket.

Nice car and to be honest, it works out at about an extra £20/month. Mind you, that's what the governments wants us to do. They couldn't care less about the enviornment, just as long as they can tax us to the hilt for it.

It's going to hold the value of small cars, so what you save in tax you'll pay buying it in the first place. On the other hand, you'll save on the larger car as they will be worth nothing...well anything after 2001 anyway.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Indeed, no-one's going to sell a car they really like for the sake of £20/month. As you say, it's about dosh for the government coffers, not about the environment.

Ben

U

User482

Genuine question: what government measures would make you change to a more efficient car?

Top Bottom