Historical VED info needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasper

None...I like to have a choice in the cars I drive. I don't want to drive around in some little shoebox. My car isn't a gas guzzler, Mercedes SLK, just falls into the wrong bracket cos they changed the rules after I had bought it.

I also race cars too and so own a 4x4 (Mitsubishi Pajero) to transport the race car to the track. This is way more inefficient yet, because it's older than 2001, still stays in the old tax bracket.

What do you race, Jasper?

jasper

Toyota MR2 mate. It's a single make series, everone in the same car, same modifications, so down to driver ability.

Well, not in the same car, otherwise it would be a bit crowded lol

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
User482 said:
Genuine question: what government measures would make you change to a more efficient car?
Same answer as Jasper, and same car, as it happens.

It's actually an extremely efficient car. The supercharger means that it is able to extract a lot of usable power from a relatively modest engine, and it does a decent mileage even when you use that performance.

I don't do a massive annual mileage, but when I am driving on business the days are long and I will often cover a lot of miles in a day. I need a car that allows me to drive 150 miles, do my work then drive 150 miles home again and still be safe and alert while I do it. A small, underpowered car will never meet that spec.

There is a limit to how much the government can increase road tax and remain electable. Within those limits, nothing they do will make me choose a less suitable car.

Ben

jasper said:
Just live with it....I'd be giving it away if I sold it, as although it's only 4 years old, I've done 140k miles in it. Everyone would want to knock the value because of the mileage. Plus, they'd try and knock it as it's fallen into an higher tax bracket.

Nice car and to be honest, it works out at about an extra £20/month. Mind you, that's what the governments wants us to do. They couldn't care less about the enviornment, just as long as they can tax us to the hilt for it.

It's going to hold the value of small cars, so what you save in tax you'll pay buying it in the first place. On the other hand, you'll save on the larger car as they will be worth nothing...well anything after 2001 anyway.

I think I'd do the same and next time buy a different car. In fact car tax or VED before anyone says, is a small percentage of the overall running costs, especially if you dial in depreciation.

simoncc

Why should motoring costs rise with inflation? Inflation is measured by collating info on all price rises. Some things, like cars, TVs and computers get cheaper in real terms. Others, like council tax and most products provided by the government spiral upwards much faster than inflation. It's ridiculous to assume that everything has to go up by at least the inflation rate every year.

Motoring has become cheaper mainly because of improvements in efficiency of manufacturing cars, more competitive insurance costs (despite the government's insurance premium tax of the 1990s) and petrol not rising in price as much as other things. VED is a tax and cannot be considered independently. Overall taxes have gone up much faster than inflation and any increases in VED only add to this effect. The idea that VED 'should' have risen more is odd and not a logical viewpoint to hold. It'd be just as illogical to argue that other taxes like NI contributions 'shouldn't' have gone up much faster than inflation. Only whining anti-car people hold the bizarre opinion that car taxes should be index-linked as some kind of law of nature.

Chuffy said:
Not being able to view the above user's post, can anyone tell me if it includes reference to the BBC, local government or climate change?

If so, I owe myself a fiver. :biggrin:

Wellllllllll........no BBC and no climate change unless you can twist 'whining anti-car people' into that. Government is mentioned but not local government....................I think you need to pay that fiver to me.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Crackle said:
Wellllllllll........no BBC and no climate change unless you can twist 'whining anti-car people' into that. Government is mentioned but not local government....................I think you need to pay that fiver to me.
£2.50. I am a poorly paid local govt officer after all.
eusa_boohoo.gif

simoncc

Ignore lists are for odd people aren't they? If Chuffy is unhappy at the level of VED why can't he just send a cheque to the government to boost his contribution? Why does he want the rest of us to pay more? What an interfering, bossy little local government 'officer' he is.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
What a fascinating thread, thanks Chuffy. I found the stuff on what tax was from 1921 to just after the war particularly interesting.

Top Bottom