Horse Poo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
If you've an issue with the route feel free to petition to have it removed from the coast to coast.

You're the one that has an issue along with a lack of self awareness. No-one forces you to use the maze. You're the one that's using it and complaining about it. You petition for its removal. It's causing you a lot more grief than it ever will for me.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Horse muck generally isn't as bad as doggy doo as it's mostly 'processed' grass. However, it's not only unsightly but can be a skid hazard. I have reported quantities of it appearing along the Bristol Railway Path from Mangotsfield Station down to Warmley Station and also up the ring road cycle path which branches off at Mangotsfield. There are No Horse Riding signs around, but some clearly ignore them:

I sometimes see police horses on the path, so usually assume it might be them. But recently, lots of dung has been appearing so I think it's others treating the path as if it's a bridleway.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Horse muck generally isn't as bad as doggy doo as it's mostly 'processed' grass. However, it's not only unsightly but can be a skid hazard. I have reported quantities of it appearing along the Bristol Railway Path from Mangotsfield Station down to Warmley Station and also up the ring road cycle path which branches off at Mangotsfield. There are No Horse Riding signs around, but some clearly ignore them:

I sometimes see police horses on the path, so usually assume it might be them. But recently, lots of dung has been appearing so I think it's others treating the path as if it's a bridleway.

The riders I've seen are usually not police, apart from when they increased their presence in light of the bike muggings a few months back.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Apparently in WW2, German tank drivers thought it lucky to drive over camel dung. Those clever boffins at the SOE came up with the idea of disguising mines to look like camel dung, clever huh? The Germans trigger what was going on and started avoiding the dung piles so those boffins came up with a tank mine, disguised like a pile of camel dung ...... with tank tracks through it!

I've always wondered what those inventors said when asked by their grand children " what did you do in the war, grandad?"

jack smith

Veteran
You're the one that has an issue along with a lack of self awareness. No-one forces you to use the maze. You're the one that's using it and complaining about it. You petition for its removal. It's causing you a lot more grief than it ever will for me.
Nah i love it its great fun its people on horses who actually are supposed to go around it anyway that cause the issues around it tyvm.

captain nemo1701

The riders I've seen are usually not police, apart from when they increased their presence in light of the bike muggings a few months back.
I haven't seen any riders yet but was along the ring road spur last week and spotted a gigantic poo pile along with about 300 yards of metal horse shoe scuffs along the asphalt leading back to...wait for it... the NO HORSE RIDING sign:sad:. Clearly, riding a horse can pose a risk to your ability to read signs:blush:. One day, there'll be an accident, Bristol Post (love 'em:okay:) will go on and on about how dangerous cycling can be..... If I spot any riders on the path, I think a polite word about the risks they pose and the fact that if they are involved in an accident, whose insurance will be invalidated due to their presence in a zone where they are clearly not permitted, is probably in order.

Jayaly

Never having ridden through it, I can only forward my old dog's opinion on horse poo, which is that it is a delicious, high-fibre snack. As a separate but related observation, did you know that when a dog vomits up horse poo, it acquires the odour and consistency of cow poo? I wish I didn't. The car never smelled the same.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Bit tricky for us horse rider types to carry around poo backs of that size with us. Not carrying the bags, you understand but getting off, sorting out the poo situation and then having the shoulder power to lob it up a tree like some dog owners (not me) do.
Where I used to live, horse poo barely touched the ground before someone was out with a shovel and a bucket and put it on their compost heap. Not so much around here.
Horse poo does break down a bit faster than dog poo, as far as I know, there is no legislation that says that we have to carry a bag, a skip bucket and a shovel about with us as we exercise or horses. But, EU laws are being brought in every day so you never know what tomorrow will bring.

captain nemo1701

Horse poo for gardens is good, but it shouldn't be on cycle paths especially places like the Bristol Railway Path. Would it be too much to ask riders to dismount and kick it into the verge/gutter?. Many riders are wearing rubber riding boots anyway, so not a bad thing to get some poo on them:smile:.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I recall doing a project for college on pollution. One of the facts I discovered was that with the number of horses in New York the pollution from their excrement was a major problem. It turned into nasty mud in winter but in the summer there was a major problem with chest infections due to the dried dung being blown around. The advent of the motor car was seen as a solution to their pollution problem.

_20150528_111520.JPG

captain nemo1701

[QUOTE 3716443, member: 9609"]If dog owners had done had moved it into the long grass or gutter the scoop-the-poop laws may never have been introduced - may be if horse owners start being a little more considerate then may be they will not have any such laws inflicted upon them.[/QUOTE]
I am of the opinion that some dog owners need to see psychiatrists if they hang dog poop bags on tree branches, especially if there's a dog waste bin within 100 yards!. Come to think of it, thanks to poo scoop laws, you don't get the whiff of freshly mown grass and dog muck in public parks anymore:okay:

Top Bottom