How many caravanners on here?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Motorhomes are best. Got my first camper van in mid 1960's ( Commer pop top) and had something of similar type ever since. Now on a small coachbuilt all to myself and 2 bikes.

I would disagree with that, but we are all entitled to our opinion.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Motorhomes are best.
Depends on how you are going to use it.
We tend to go to small hideaway sites, pitch up and then go out and explore the area. We are generally in the car, as we have the dog with us.
Some of the places we go to explore, you really wouldn't want to be driving a decent sized motorhome.
20170705_095443.jpg

If we were to take an extended touring holiday, stopping one night here and one night there, then a motorhome makes more sense. But otherwise we'll stick with the van.
Horses for courses.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Depends on how you are going to use it.
We tend to go to small hideaway sites, pitch up and then go out and explore the area. We are generally in the car, as we have the dog with us.
Some of the places we go to explore, you really wouldn't want to be driving a decent sized motorhome.
View attachment 366264
If we were to take an extended touring holiday, stopping one night here and one night there, then a motorhome makes more sense. But otherwise we'll stick with the van.
Horses for courses.

That's same as us, set 'van up as base camp and go from there.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not so keen on being tied to a base camp. That's the beauty - caravans, campervans, day campers, whatever your need there's something out there.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Not a caravan fan, but I finished this recently, and it's just done our first trip to France. This is 'Myfanwy'
Van at Le Paradis.jpg

Sleeps 4 in the van, got a 2 burner hob, sink, fridge, 12v & 240v (on hookup). Nice 4 bike rack on the tailgate. The end result of 18 months of bit part work. I'll admit to not cutting holes in what started as a panel van, I paid a conversion company to do the roof & windows, along with an M1 crash tested RIB rock 'n' roll bed on full length sliding rails. After 2 weeks away we have decided we would like a wind out awning on the side for 1 or 2 night stays where putting the full awning up is just a hassle.

When I bought my Willerby, I was told the optional galvanised chassis is worth having.

Might depend a bit on location, the underneath is less likely to rot on an inland site than on than on the coast.

http://www.europacaravans.com/mulberry-caravan-overview.html

TBH its all a bit billy bullshit, parents have had caravans on the coast since i was about 4, i used to make a few quid as a teenager wire brushing chassis and waxoyling them, one van must have been there 30 year on a std chasis and despite the rust it stayed solid, until they moved it :laugh:. We are on an inland site with a 15 -20 yr limit so i have no worries about having a painted chassis, and with the skirting it won't be as open to the elements.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
What do you guys get mileage wise, I can get about 100mpg out of mine.
33 mpg when towing - up to 44 mph on motorways. ;)
If I tow to somewhere around about 70 miles away, spend the week there driving around and then tow back, I generally average about 40 - 45 mpg over the whole trip. I can live with that.:okay:

Unless there's a monumental improvement in battery technology, what are people going to tow their caravans with, after 2040?
Suppose one solution would be to buy a diesel in 2039 and try to make it last as long as possible.

screenman

Legendary Member
Unless there's a monumental improvement in battery technology, what are people going to tow their caravans with, after 2040?
Suppose one solution would be to buy a diesel in 2039 and try to make it last as long as possible.

I have given this a lot of thought and the answer I came up with is, an electric car.

Top Bottom