How to glue metal brake cable guide back onto carbon frame!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I tried sorting out my brakes earlier having found the cable a little rusty and unfortunately I was a little heavy handed...whoops! Having found the metal casing from the cable housing wedged into the brake cable guide on the frame I managed to snap the guide off the frame trying to get it out.

However I noticed that the metal was originally glued to the carbon frame and was wondering if there is anyone who knows what to use to stick it back without damaging the carbon frame.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Epoxy Resin?

OP
OP
Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig

Veteran
That's a good call. Just rechecked and it will attach to the paint on the frame rather than directly to carbon. Also, the metal part is a titanium steel alloy if thats make a difference. Would epoxy resin still work without damaging?

OP
OP
Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Thanks for the ideas, so either epoxy or superglue should work. Are there any ideas on best way to remove existing glue or can i just glue over the top? Would either also help to cover some damaged carbon, chain mashed the chain stay but just superficial damage.

OP
OP
Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig

Veteran
It's a Merlin C110 works frame... carbon frame with lots of titanium alloy bits attached such as drop outs etc. As far as I'm aware, titanium is added to the steel to produce the light alloy, such as carbon would be added to iron to produce a stainless alloy or chromium to produce a chromo alloy.

OP
OP
Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig

Veteran
I don't think it's just titanium that's used on its own although I may be wrong!? Most metals used are alloys of some description (alloy in the chemical sense rather than meaning an aluminium based composite). It was my understanding that it was mixed with a steel to make the material which is used and generally known as titanium. Titanium raw is around £4 per gram so it would be an expensive bike frame if used on its own!

OP
OP
Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Maybe I'll play the techno whilst on the trainer tomorrow... I don't need any brakes for that..... might help me to shift my giant arse up the hills a bit quicker!

Edit
We'll I played the techno whilst riding on the trainer this morning and what a difference! Hammered average 480 watts! Could also be new rear wheel and brakes no longer an issue!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig

Veteran
There are lots of metal elements added to titanium, such as molybdenum, vanadium, aluminium and iron.... iron being the main element in steel. Whether the alloy for a bike uses iron and/or aluminium I have no idea. Maybe I should have said titanium alloy to cover all bases!

Top Bottom