How to glue metal brake cable guide back onto carbon frame!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's a Merlin C110 works frame... carbon frame with lots of titanium alloy bits attached such as drop outs etc. As far as I'm aware, titanium is added to the steel to produce the light alloy, such as carbon would be added to iron to produce a stainless alloy or chromium to produce a chromo alloy.

Dont give up your day job.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Don't bother with cyano, it will go brittle and fall off.

Best 'off the shelf' option is Araldite 24hr epoxy, with both surfaces well keyed (scuff up with a bit of sandpaper). Done correctly will last a lifetime.

I tried sorting out my brakes earlier having found the cable a little rusty and unfortunately I was a little heavy handed...whoops! Having found the metal casing from the cable housing wedged into the brake cable guide on the frame I managed to snap the guide off the frame trying to get it out.

However I noticed that the metal was originally glued to the carbon frame and was wondering if there is anyone who knows what to use to stick it back without damaging the carbon frame.

Don't use any cyanoacrylate (superglue) as it is not strong enough for the job. A brake cable guide is under considerable stress. If you have already used superglue, you would discover that quickly and end up with a mess. Clean it up with acetone. It dissolves superglue.

Use a good quality industrial epoxy such as Multiplex 300. Unfortunately this stuff is sold in large tubes similar to what caulking is supplied in and it is expensive and requires a special dispensing gun and nozzles. I suggest you find a manufacturer in your local area that uses the stuff all the time and you visit them at the appropriate time for a drop.

OP
OP
Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Fortunately I was having a drinking session last night so have not got around to doing any fixing yet! It looks like epoxy will be the way to go by general opinion. Temporary fix should work for OK for now even if it's to get the cable out of the way for use on the trainer. I realise that it was all the sweat that had dripped and corroded the brake cable and housing from being on the trainer!

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
That's a good call. Just rechecked and it will attach to the paint on the frame rather than directly to carbon. Also, the metal part is a titanium steel alloy if thats make a difference. Would epoxy resin still work without damaging?
Sorry, I had an early night. Well, everyone else has sort of answered - epoxy is the one, araldite or something. Good luck :smile:

S-Express

There are lots of metal elements added to titanium, such as molybdenum, vanadium, aluminium and iron.... iron being the main element in steel. Whether the alloy for a bike uses iron and/or aluminium I have no idea. Maybe I should have said titanium alloy to cover all bases!

Might be easier just to post a pic of the bike

OP
OP
Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig

Veteran
20161001_104722.jpg
20161001_104530.jpg
20161001_104438_001.jpg

You omitted to mention that it was riveted as well. I thought it was a bit strange to have it just glued on. Brake cable tension is very high.

The sweat ate the unprotected aluminium rivet. Shake the frame, the head of the rivet is inside. the second one is still there.

If you sweat over your bike like that I'm pretty sure the headset is toast and that seatpost will never come out again - ever.

Top Bottom