How to glue metal brake cable guide back onto carbon frame!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

You have nothing to lose by getting someone to drill out the remains of the rivet that is still there, and then pop riveting the cable stop back on. If it works, you are back in business. If it doesn't then the frame is either toast (which it would have been anyway), or only usable as a single speed.

OP
OP
Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Just checked the placement and the bit of rivet that sticks out the frame pushes into the cable guide which gives it lateral strength for when the cable is pulled. Is there a metal to metal glue to use alongside epoxy or will that stick metal to metal as well?

screenman

Legendary Member
You have nothing to lose by getting someone to drill out the remains of the rivet that is still there, and then pop riveting the cable stop back on. If it works, you are back in business. If it doesn't then the frame is either toast (which it would have been anyway), or only usable as a single speed.

They will not need drilling out , just a slight tap with something smaller than the rivett will clear it.

OP
OP
Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig

Veteran
How would the rivet clamp it to the frame? It would still need to be glued I take it as the rivet just gives it lateral strength?

Just checked the placement and the bit of rivet that sticks out the frame pushes into the cable guide which gives it lateral strength for when the cable is pulled. Is there a metal to metal glue to use alongside epoxy or will that stick metal to metal as well?
Stop farting around with glue and do the job properly or ride it without brakes, as you suggest.

The surface area of the connection is too small to give sufficient purchase for glue. Further, the radius of the tube does not conform to the radius of the bracket, reducing surface area even more. Then, if if all the other things are improved, there's still paint in there that needs to come off.

It is so much easier to just rivet it. It will be 3mm or 4mm pop rivet. A rivet gun will cost you less than a trip to a bike shop. Rivets are sold in packets of 100 or so, giving you enough to practice before shooting the frame.

I think you should take it into your LBS for repair.

Maybe you are right. I sometimes over-estimate people's commitment to do things right.

OP
OP
Daddy Pig

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Getting a rivet gun does sound fun though... what is the main issue with riveting.. could it cracking the frame?

The rivets were the original fixture method, so SHOULD be fine. I say should be fine, as if done correctly, and there's no other damage it will be ok.

However, since you have managed to snap the original rivets somehow, the condition of that tube (internally) at least is unknown. So it's not possible to say for certain, especially on a forum. But it should be ok, it's not like there's many choices.

S-Express

How would the rivet clamp it to the frame?

That's how a rivet works. It's what rivets do.

It would still need to be glued I take it as the rivet just gives it lateral strength?

Lateral strength is precisely what that part requires. The rivet also binds it to the frame, which also gives it vertical strength as well. Like I said, it is what rivets do. A bit of araldite would probably not go amiss.

rrarider

Veteran
Acetone dissolves a lot of plastics. I'd be very wary of letting it contact a carbon fibre frame, as I don't know what the plastic surrounding the fibres is.

Top Bottom