How was 2016's Cycling for you, and what plans are afoot for 2017?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
How was your year then, and what's planned for 2017?

I managed a couple of things this year, the biggest being to stay out of hospital for anything other than routine checkups, first time I've managed that since 2013. I've also hit, and surpassed by quite some margin my intended mileage target.
I wanted to 'do' Newlands Corner and Box Hill in 2016, so far I've managed to cycle down Newlands Corner, but not yet managed Box Hill (the years not over yet though...)
Most pleasingly, I've completed the 'Metric Half a Month Challenge' this year, something I started in 2015 but had to withdraw from due to ill health.

2017? Well Box Hill may still be on the list, as will the Ride London 100 if I get a space (another one I had to give up on in 2014/15, health again). I also fancy a go at the Metric Century a month challenge too..

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Utter cack - did around 1000 miles & 10 x 50k rides for the half a month challenge up to June and then health issues have kept me off my bike (and, more importantly, away from my beloved mountains) since then.

I feel seriously unfit and have planned to slowly build my levels back up in 2017.

Tin Pot

Guru
Okay, I've got to be pleased really with 2016.

No hard plans, but I'd like to see my 10TT down by about four minutes, my Olympic bike leg down about ten minutes, and my IM bike leg by about forty minutes..maybe an hour!

I was hoping to do the Arlberg Bike Marathon but summer plans look to have scuppered that.

I'd like to get a few more adventure tours in, and some long ride with my son and daughter.

tyred

Legendary Member
Pretty good. Redundancy meant I had time for lots of tours over the summer. I have no idea of total mileage this year as it's spread over several bikes, not all have cycle computers and the cycle computer on my touring bike departed this life but I'd be confident I've exceeded my previous best of 5,000 miles in a year.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I've somehow managed more miles this year than ever before (3600 so far).
A few longish rides to Norfolk have helped, plus the commute. As for next year I've an idea for a shortish circular tour from The Hook of Holland around S Netherlands and N Belgium. There's a place there called Baarle Nassau I've always wanted to visit- it's a collection of small Belgian territories within NL. It even has some Dutch land within the Belgian exclaves. It basically sounds nuts, so a visit is on the cards and what better way to do so than by bike.

I, too, managed only about 1,000 miles this year, 205 of them in one 24-hour period.

Slowly recovering from a slipped disc, I now (finally) realise how health and fitness can very suddenly be taken away from you and the older we got, recovery takes longer and motivation wanes.

However, I hope to take the short-lived elation I had at the beginning of October (the week before I injured my back) when I had three great rides, into spring and beyond.

I will spend the winter trying to get into reasonable shape with a lot of swimming, water exercises, walking and eating sensibly.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
Well I actually bought myself a bike and started riding it midway through November. Plans for next year are to ride it over longer distances and generally increase my stamina and overall fitness. I'm also planning on getting a mountain bike and finding some local trails.

GOAB

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Coming up to 5000 miles and 160,000 feet of hills. Not bad for a 47 year old but would have like to have done more.
I have not managed to do a single ride over 45 miles this year, I usually do a 75 or a 100 in a single ride, HOWEVER....I have a whole day off to myself this coming Monday and hoping to be out all day.

I might squeeze 5100 miles.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I, too, managed only about 1,000 miles this year, 205 of them in one 24-hour period.

Slowly recovering from a slipped disc, I now (finally) realise how health and fitness can very suddenly be taken away from you and the older we got, recovery takes longer and motivation wanes.

However, I hope to take the short-lived elation I had at the beginning of October (the week before I injured my back) when I had three great rides, into spring and beyond.

I will spend the winter trying to get into reasonable shape with a lot of swimming, water exercises, walking and eating sensibly.

Sorry to read that Dave- sounds grim. All the best for a swift recovery.

Sixmile

Veteran
This year has seen me 'get into' cycling i suppose:

March - did my first commute
April - bought my first ever road bike
May - completed my first 100km & overnight trip
June - completed my first 100 miler
September - rode my first sportive

Currently approaching 3,500 miles for the year.

Plans for 2017.. keep up the commuting, another few overnight trips to Rep. of Ireland, overnight trip from Holyhead to Birkenhead (ferry ports) and plan to do the Giro d'Italia in May 2017.

Last edited:

prawny

Not too bad, managed to keep the commute up that I (re)started last December, and I've clocked up almost 8500 miles this year.

Plans for next year? Well, in September/October I had a nagging feeling that I wasted the summer, so next year I'm planning on doing more pre work rides and weekends. I bought me a new mountain bike this year so that's going to get much more use next year, including it's first trip to Scotland (which was what prompted it's purchase in the first place).

Ciar

Veteran
Cack as i wanted to ride my MTB more and haven't, also less miles down by about 600 as i only averaged 3000m previously, so far just under 2500m, so going into 2017 i am going to make sure weekends involve more forest more getting out and more trips out and about family allowing, already made a start as i have been getting the MTB into the forest every two weeks for a slog around.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Fine until mid-April when I had a bad crash, breaking 6 ribs and damaging my hip/spine/lungs and getting concussion.

Fast-forward 7 months and I'm awaiting a hip arthroscopy, meaning I have done just under 7,500 miles so far and nothing beyond 300k this year.

Unfortunately 2017 is dependent on the operation. It's looking very like LEL won't be happening :sad:

Last edited:

tobykenobi

Über Member
This year did a 60 miler in July and a 75 miler in October. The first time in years I've done an organised ride. So quite pleased. Probably didn't do loads of outdoor miles as I only really get chance at weekends and - given family life - not always then. Used indoor sessions to maintain fitness between rides.

Hoping to attempt a century next year.

Top Bottom