How was 2016's Cycling for you, and what plans are afoot for 2017?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This thread has just reminded me to revise my 2016 distance target!

I set off thinking that I would like to do 6,000 miles, a nice distance to coincide with my 60th birthday. It would have been about 50% more than last year's total of 4,083 miles.

I was ill at the start of the year and so barely cycled for about 6 weeks after Christmas 2014. It was obvious that I would get nowhere near 6,000 miles in so I revised the target down to a more realistic 4,200, which would have been about 3% more than 2015.

I have fallen behind the new target and would struggle to get the required 612 miles in by December 31st so I have come up with a final target. It is 4,084 miles, just 1 mile more than last year. If I achieve that then at least my cycling is moving in the right direction, albeit very slowly!

Considering how varied and hilly most of my routes are, that isn't a bad mileage. It would be equivalent to at least 6,000 miles somewhere flatter.

So ... I have 26 days to do 496 miles. I had better get stuck in!

As for the overall quality of my rides this year? There have been some really good ones, both forum rides and solos. I did 2 metric century rides in Scotland, one as a forum ride on Mull, and a solo one on the mainland south/east of Oban. I did a (near-)200 km forum ride in Cheshire and a gorgeous Yorkshire Dales ride. Many other great rides in the Forest of Bowland and elsewhere.

Overall ... Good year, could be better still!

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Not too bad, managed to keep the commute up that I (re)started last December, and I've clocked up almost 8500 miles this year.

Plans for next year? Well, in September/October I had a nagging feeling that I wasted the summer, so next year I'm planning on doing more pre work rides and weekends. I bought me a new mountain bike this year so that's going to get much more use next year, including it's first trip to Scotland (which was what prompted it's purchase in the first place).

I too wasted the long summer days

mythste

Veteran
I promised myself I'd ride competitively at least once this year, and I did! Albeit a 1.6 mile TT up the brickworks in Manchester... Must go for something a bit longer next year. I'm also annoyed at doing a piddle poor job of recording my overall milage for the year having switched from endomondo to strava in about June... I wanted 3000 and i'm pretty sure I'm closer to 5000. Result.

Next year, I want to spend a full week away just me and my bike and my tent. I had a go this year but an important interview cut me short after 4 days. October in Wales was also probably not the wisest first tour.

johnnyb47

Guru
After a rotten start to 2016 in which my wife and soul mate left me for another fella I've turned to cycling to try and ease the pain, and gain an old interest that I once had many years ago. I can honestly say it has helped me get through a many a dark place over the months and has set my mind frame into more positive plain. I've covered around 1500 miles since May ,and I managed to lose a fair bit of weight and look and feel so much better about myself. Money is a little tight now that I'm on my own but I've seen so much more of the country side and enjoyed so much more quality time viewing it on my bike as opposed to using the car. Next year I'm promising myself a 70 mile ride to my dad who lives on the coast. I'm so glad I have taken this path in life and not a life drinking my sorrows away in the pub. Cycling is not just great for your physical health. It's also fantastic for your mental health as well. I dread to think what state I would be in now if I never rekindled my old passion for cycling again. :-)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
After a rotten start to 2016 in which my wife and soul mate left me for another fella I've turned to cycling to try and ease the pain, and gain an old interest that I once had many years ago. I can honestly say it has helped me get through a many a dark place over the months and has set my mind frame into more positive plain. I've covered around 1500 miles since May ,and I managed to lose a fair bit of weight and look and feel so much better about myself. Money is a little tight now that I'm on my own but I've seen so much more of the country side and enjoyed so much more quality time viewing it on my bike as opposed to using the car. Next year I'm promising myself a 70 mile ride to my dad who lives on the coast. I'm so glad I have taken this path in life and not a life drinking my sorrows away in the pub. Cycling is not just great for your physical health. It's also fantastic for your mental health as well. I dread to think what state I would be in now if I never rekindled my old passion for cycling again. :-)
I have been there myself and took the same path as you so I agree with you. Good luck for the future!

Noru

An ok year for me, I'm on track to meet my distance goal by then end of the year.

My very brief foray into Cycle Speedway came to end due to excessive work commitments.

I completed my first audax (100k) but didn't work my way up to a 200k as I wanted.

In 2017 I plan to ride 2000+ miles, aim to do a 100k or more audax a month, cycle commute more than 90% of the year, do a 200k audax and volunteer on LEL.

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I don't give myself goals or mileage target anymore but I know I have done less cycling than 2015. My biggest disappointment was not being able to do the Tour de Mon due to being away at the time, but fully intend to do it in 2017.

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
First full year. 3,200 miles. Wiggle Dragon, Tour de Bristol, Sodbury Sportive, Evans Bristol Ride it and Cotswold Autumn Sportive completed..oh and a hungover 80 miler from Bruge- Ypres-bruge lol.
Next Year a return to the dreaded Dragon :cry:and my first closed road in Birmingham

Last edited:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Not bad - similar to last year.
Two injuries that kept me off the bike for a few weeks (the second one is still current!) or my mileage might be higher.
But I have met my 2000 mile target for the year.
Have completed 11 of the 12 months for the half century challenge, and am determined to make December's - should be back on the bike before the end of the month.
Managed a century ride (imperial!).
Only failure - I keep saying I will do the Avon Cycleway, given that it goes within a couple of miles of my house. Still have not done it - must try in 2017!

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
Not bad - similar to last year.
Two injuries that kept me off the bike for a few weeks (the second one is still current!) or my mileage might be higher.
But I have met my 2000 mile target for the year.
Have completed 11 of the 12 months for the half century challenge, and am determined to make December's - should be back on the bike before the end of the month.
Managed a century ride (imperial!).
Only failure - I keep saying I will do the Avon Cycleway, given that it goes within a couple of miles of my house. Still have not done it - must try in 2017!
Avon cycleway is very good. Southern half a bit lumpy. Good luck when you do it!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Avon cycleway is very good. Southern half a bit lumpy. Good luck when you do it!
I start in the north, will get the Avonmouth Bridge out of the way first. I think the main challenge will be when I get north of the M4 again and I'm tired, making myself follow the somewhat loopy route when I know a shorter way home!

Firestorm

Veteran
The plans for 2016 were to ride regularly then get a road bike , do the London Southend and build from there

went a bit awry, got the road bike first, didnt feel i was ready for LtS so didnt enter.
managed the metric ton in July and then have been a bit busy/lazy
Next year I want to get into it, but as we are going to be grandparents for the first time and our dsughter is 190 miles away , I can see weekends being taken care of !

Top Bottom