How was 2016's Cycling for you, and what plans are afoot for 2017?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
I start in the north, will get the Avonmouth Bridge out of the way first. I think the main challenge will be when I get north of the M4 again and I'm tired, making myself follow the somewhat loopy route when I know a shorter way home!
All flattish heading North from Saltford...you will smash it!

I toured through Holland and Germany with Mrs R in the summer and then did The Way of The Roses in early August. Both tours were on my Brompton.

Chapeau!

But wouldn't it be easier to use a tandem? ;)

Stinboy

Über Member
This is an excellent thread - it's interesting to see what others cycling aspirations are.

I've had a good year both on and off the bike - aimed for 6000 miles and I've done 7100 so far so looking now at 7500 for the year. Cracked 100 miles a few times on the fixie (in truth though I've never done 100 miles on a geared bike :smile: ). I quit drinking in February (pretty much out of necessity, if you know what I mean) and have stayed dry since - cycling helps tremendously with this. I've just bought a CX bike too so really enjoying the offroad again.

Plans for 2017 - 8000 mile target, improve my eddington number (currently at 41) and look towards cross racing towards the back end of the year when the season starts again in September. Plus try and stay healthy and booze free.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Sounds like some good, some not so good. For those who have struggled, faced injury or illness, I wish you well and can only say, from experience, bear with it and see what happens. If you'd told me 18 months ago that I'd be cycling over 5000 miles this year, doing my first ever metric century, or even the simple thing of working full time I'd have struggled to believe you.

Stevec047

Über Member
My year has been great. The first full year of cycling and I love it.

Started last October with sights set on a 50 mile charity ride in September this year. Ended up doing a 50 miler well before then over the easter weekend. So the next stop was to build up to doing a few more by September. Yeah did that in a matter of weeks after the charity ride.

My main target was to loose weight and since last year I have lost 4 stone in total and now have muscle tone in places I didn't have before.

Hit over 1000miles for the year as well so all good here.

2017 well I want to double the milage enter plenty more events and loose another stone maybe 2. Oh and hopefully a new bike at some point subject to saving for a house.

Needless to say I am hooked and intend to continue this fantastic journey meeting more and more felow riders.

vickster

Legendary Member
3 months off in spring following shoulder surgery, a dodgy knee, plantar fasciitis (plus first year of being self employed) have kept me from achieving my lower than usual target of 1500 miles this year (2500 in previous years)...I'm about 80 short, I might manage it before my next shoulder op on 21 December, I might not

I did do my first audax with @jefmcg but no other cycling achievements of note unfortunately

I am up to 5 bikes though :laugh: :rolleyes:

Next year, try to lose some weight and try to stay fit...I say that every year :sad:

And to add, hopefully settling the f'ing injury claim that's been going on for nearly 3 years :angry:

Last edited:
Only started cycling in July, mainly to keep fit and lose weight, (both achieved), initially it was a bit of a struggle to do any more than 20 miles at a time, but I cycle regularly (6 out of 7 days - perks of being self-employed !). I did my longest ride yesterday, only 35 miles (and the annoying thing is that I could have easily have done another 10 !)
My aim for next year is to crack a 40, 50 and 60 miler ( any more will be welcome) and to do the Monopoly trip like Vickster did at the weekend

Will Spin

Über Member
This is my 1st full year of retirement. I live in a good area for cycling (East Hants, South Downs) so there are some very nice rides around here, hope to complete 5,000 miles by the end of the year (180 still to go), according to Strava I've climbed 229,465ft. Not sure about next year - maybe increase the target.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Been quite a good year for me cycling wise. I had no real goals to speak of except to stay healthy and keep riding. Though I did keep a promise to myself not to go out just to get miles in. Forcing myself not to go out every weekend but have at least 1 weekend off the bike a month. My mileage goal every year is 10,000 miles. This year will by 7th year in a row of cracking that total and recording it on MyCycleLogs (I am currently just over 11,000 this year).

I said I wouldn't do many Friday Night Rides this year and I kept to that. Though the two rides I did, Whitstable and Shoreham were stonking, brilliant rides. Whether I will do any next year is undecided, but I think I would like to crack the 50 rides completed.

For the 6th year in a row I have completed the Imperial Century a Month Challenge. In fact I have completed 31 Imperial Centuries this year (inc. 1 double Imperial). I need another 3 to make it 200 total. I like to think I will do them this year. But if not, no great shakes.

This year, I had one of the very best cycling experiences ever when myself, @Trickedem and @rb58 spent the week in beautiful Andalucia riding a touring loop of some of the most awesome, fantastic mountain road rides one could ever imagine. Including riding up the highest paved road in Europe, the Pica de Valeta at 11,500 feet, a climb of over 30 miles (and a descent of the same). Who would have thought 36,000 feet of climbing in 300 miles would have been so much fun. Damn hard work I admit but such great fun and a wonderful experience.

I'm now 50 years old and this year especially I have noticed that my speed and stamina has dropped compared to previous years. It looks like I peaked a couple of years back. However, the flip side of this was that I did my inaugural CTC Veterans ride for the over 50's. It takes place every 3 years and is a 100 mile ride at a much slower pace then I am used to. Looking at some of the 'real' veterans on the ride. I shouldn't worry about slowing down because if I am riding half as well as some of those guys (70's & 80's) I will be a very happy man. It made me realise that speed isn't everything, just being on a bike enjoying cycling and riding with other like minded people is.

Other minor information that is no good to any one apart from myself.
430 Commuting rides 6,581 miles
30 Rainy commutes
0 commuting riding punctures
54 Leisure rides 4,590 miles
3 Leisure riding punctures

For next year?
More of the same, but to mainly stay fit and healthy, to carry on cycling and to continue to meet more of you excellent Cycle Chatters.

Sorry for the long waffle but you did ask :okay:

Despite a relatively slow start to the year, owing to having been brought down by a pedestrian who decided to run across a dual carriageway, without looking / warning, and having to ride with a knackered shoulder for a few weeks, I've done over 12500 miles thus far. I've ( officially) completed the imperial ton challenge, and a second crack at the Ride London, and become an ( official) B.C. ride leader. In May next year, I'm leading a 180 mile ride for B.C. and the Saints Foundation ( charity wing of Southampton football club ) from Stoke City's stadium to St. Mary's stadium on the last Southampton home game day of the season. I've been signed up to ride the Birmingham sportive. I'm giving serious consideration to doing at least one 200 mile a month ride, for the year ( someone foolishly bet me I couldn't / wouldn't). Now that's a start anyway.

screenman

Legendary Member
Coming up to 5000 miles and 160,000 feet of hills. Not bad for a 47 year old but would have like to have done more.
I have not managed to do a single ride over 45 miles this year, I usually do a 75 or a 100 in a single ride, HOWEVER....I have a whole day off to myself this coming Monday and hoping to be out all day.

I might squeeze 5100 miles.

I hope you are kidding with the 47 bit, a mere youngster.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's been a mixed year but mostly good. I decided to do the Metric Century Challenge this year rather than the Imperial one and my aim for distance was just to try and match the 4,500 miles or so that I did in 2015.

I didn't start off that well, abandoning my first challenge ride of the season after an off (just got wet and bruised) then I couldn't do another attempt until right at the end of the month. It got better though and I've done some good rides, explored some new routes (although not as many as I'd hoped), had some new experiences and racked up more miles than expected after selling my car in May and not bothering with a replacement yet.

Some highlights:
First ride to Bewdley and back.
Enjoying the scenery on the Mawddach Trail and crossing Barmouth Bridge.
Racking up 10 metric and 5 imperial centuries.
Racing the train (and beating it ^_^)
Making a dash for home in the midst of a torrential thunderstorm.
Adding a Dawes Galaxy to my stable (something I've wanted for many years).

Mileage at the time of writing is 5,699 so 6,000 for the year looks quite possible.:ohmy:

Top Bottom