Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macp

Guru
Great ride 30 - 40mls met a small group who kindly offered a lift.My first experience of riding in a group all be it a small one. Amazed at the lack of wind and speed you can carry tucked behind another rider. I of course did my bit at the front for a bit. Once on my own though it was tough against a 14-18mph head wind. Getting down onto the drops helps though.

D

Deleted member 1258

60 miles the journey, Mappleborough Green the destination. With us being on holiday last week this was my first ride for a week, and somehow I've managed to loose my cycling legs, so if anyone see's then can you let me know please. Lovely day, chilly at first but bright and sunny, a deceptive day, it looked calm and still but there was a breeze blowing. So a slow hard slog of a day but an enjoyable ride none the less.

Sunday Mappleborough Green.jpg

ridewithgps
View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/10995851

20160911_124703.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/708439022/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1473602169

My final ( planned ) Skyride Local, for the year. Sky aren't sponsoring us as of October, so we don't know who will next year ( the deal has been done though, apparently ).

A 32 mile loop from Lordshill into the Test Valley and back. I got another full house, as I was the solo ride leader today.

image.jpeg

A brief stop after some ball breaking hills.

image.jpeg

Lovely weather, empty country lanes:bicycle:.

image.jpeg

Coffee, and a piece of "Baileys and Chocolate cake" at Annie's at Kimbridge.:hungry:.

image.jpeg

The posse at Annie's.

image.jpeg

Me and the posse at the new Ordnance Survey building.

Just over 60 miles done, everyone enjoyed themselves, a lovely day for it too.
:thumbsup:. That's it for Skyride Local's for me this year ( unless I get drafted in, as an emergency). I have to get some Skyride Social's organised now for the rest of the year.

Screenshot_20160911-155340.png
IMG_20160911_102450.jpg
Big ride

Drove the 1.5 to 2 hrs to Bedoin.
Started riding at about 8.10.
Before long the slopes are between 7 and 12 % all the way to the top. As soon as I left the Avignon Nord exit from the A7, it was looming above me. But on the lower slopes the summit was not visible. Stopped for first break about 1/2 way and there it was. Just no relief from the gradient, at least the hire bike is a triple. Reached Chalet Reynard, after which the gradient eases to 7 % for a little. The trees at this stage are gone and we are in the lunar landscape. 9% again to the top. Saw Tom Simpson's memorial on the way. Masses of cyclists. Photos taken, postcards bought
Went down the Malaucene side. Crossed a smaller col called Col de la Madeleine ( not the big one).
Back to Bedoin, freshen up, buy a Ventoux Maillot, and back to the hotel

33.21 miles @ 9.2 mph ave
Total climb 5577 feet.

Changing units. Ventoux climb starts at 309 m and reaches summit at 1912 m

https://www.strava.com/activities/708416271

Attachments

• IMG_20160911_110314.jpg
    IMG_20160911_110314.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20160911_111148.jpg
    IMG_20160911_111148.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20160911_104424.jpg
    IMG_20160911_104424.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Intended to get up and out early this morning, but didn't.
So it was half nine by the time I turned a wheel and set off up Coal Rd with half a plan but nothing too fixed in mind.

Right onto Red Hall Lane and as I neared Wetherby Road I noticed a lot of cyclists heading north. Once I got a bit nearer I noticed most of them were in tri-suits. (Turns out they were competing in this: http://www.xtramileevents.com/events/leeds-triathlon/ - another top secret sporting event...)
Ducked into a gap in the triathletes and was pleased not to get passed by any before I turned up to Whin Moor Lane for the scenic route to Shadwell.
Left on main Street and the descent then climb up to Slaid Hill lights, before turning right onto Wike Ridge Lane for the run down to East Keswick.
Not only were there quite a few leisure cyclists out but the triathlon was obviously heading back to Roundhay Park this way.

Now, regular readers will remember that i rode this way last weekend and then hated the A659 which it eventually deposits you on to. However today i had a cunning plan. On the descent into East Keswick, I took a right into Bardsey and after stopping at the red light, crossed the A58 and climbed the almost sheer cliff face that is Rigton Bank (as featured in the TdY). Well, that gets the lungs working from a standing start doesn't it? Blimey! :sweat::heat:
Anyway I made it past Rigton Green and all the way to the top, so that's an achievement, although I was halfway along Bramham Lane before my lungs stopped trying to escape from my chest...:laugh:
Across Jewitt Lane and the sharp climb then onto Thorner Road and the welcome generally downhill run to Bramham.
Being a glutton for punishment I looped round the village to tackle the Col de Town Hill, which also got the lungs working and meant that i didn't feel too guilty when I stopped for oxygen and a drink at the top of the village:
IMG_20160911_102026367.jpg

Decision time now - loop back round onto Paradise Way for the run down to Aberford, or add a few more miles on?
Look at that weather - it was a no brainer, a few more miles it was. So on Toulston Lane and onto Garnet Lane over the A659 then across the A64 bridge (traffic looked very busy) before the descent towards Stutton. Being immature, I took Fanny Lane through the village and then over Cock Beck and up to the A162 for the climb up towards Towton, being overtaken by a Sunday run by the Close Pass Club :dry:
Right in Towton and past the battlefield on the lumpy road before the descent into Saxton, where I stopped for a couple of photos:
IMG_20160911_105534738.jpg
IMG_20160911_105707385.jpg
IMG_20160911_105628398.jpg

Through the village, avoiding the ramblers who looked at me and then wandered in front of me anyway :dry: and right again onto Coldhill Lane between the harvested fields and onto Copley Lane to Lotherton Gates, before heading to Aberford and the fast descent under the A1(M) bridge and into the village.
Up Main Street then onto Cattle Lane for the run to Barwick.
On the climb up from Cock Beck, I spotted the sight all cyclists dread - the farmer was cutting back his hedges and sure enough there were thorns and bits of twigs everywhere and from the scatter this was clearly the second run at them this morning. :dry:
I did the only thing I could do: I gave the farmer a steely stare and rode onto the other side of the road away from the worst of his thorn flinging, holding traffic* up for a couple of hundred yards until it was safe to return to the right side of the road.

Through Barwick and the climb up Leeds Road, before the descent into Scholes. Looking at the mileage I was going to be short on a metric half if I turned for home here, so carried on through Scholes and out to the A64 for a brief life or death run to Thorner Lane, then Skeltons Lane and Coal Rd, before local roads down to home in time for lunch.

31.9 miles (51.33km) in 2h 11m at an average of 14.6mph and with 1,676ft climbed. I'll take that on a sunny Sunday morning. Great ride, another metric half, good weather and lots of cyclists out, even if some of them were wearing silly outfits. :whistle:
I thought I'd done a decent bit of climbing today until I read a few of the posts further up the thread! :notworthy:
Looks like my route crossed with @Old jon a couple of times too, but I think I'll have been out there a bit later than him today.

11092016.JPG

* - two cars, both of whom I thanked as they passed :okay:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Good one @Stonechat !

We rode with my brother Keith and his wife Joyce today from our house. They have no tandem carrier for the car (yet) so they brought their road bikes. The longest ride Joyce had done on hers was 25 miles...

It was a touch chilly when we went out. There was a time trial on up the road so a few people were warming up. Eventually we did too and turned for Knapwell.
After Elsworth we went up over the hill and along to Hilton. After Hilton I heard Jo say she had a bee in her hat. I looked round to see her stopping, Joyce let out a yell, steered hard left, mounted the grass verge, then rejoined the road. Ace bike handling!
image.jpeg

We then hopped across the A1198 toward Graveley. For a windless day it was a fair old head wind. Keith and I Waited at the top, here's Jo leaving Joyce in the shade

image.jpeg

From Croxton we went the back way to Abbotsley, then stopped at Waresley garden centre for a brew.

Back through the Gransdens and on to Bourn. I shot ahead for the pic

image.jpeg

Just after Bourn I reached in my jersey pocket and passed Jo the keys to the house. Her and Joyce came back via Toft, Making it a 30 mile (ish) ride.
Keith and I went on to Kingston, Eversdens, Haslingfield, Barton and home up Long Road. We weren't hanging about. God fun it was too.

Back home for a shower and a nice lunch in a roasting hot garden. A top morning!

https://www.strava.com/activities/708319397/segments/17377911907

Dark46

Veteran
Todays ride was a tad over 30 miles and I was out with KCC which I've not been out for a while.

As ive not been out for 10 days or so I wanted to take it easy. So I went with the beginners group , so I didn't push myself to hard to early.

As there were no new bees outthere were 4 people that wanted to take it easy and 3 had time restrictions.

We left the estate and headed to Stonebench and then over Elmore lump and down towards the rivers edge. From here we headed for Saul where Shaun needed to use the loo and we had coffee at the Stables.

After the Stables we headed for Arlingham where we had a chat and a few photos were taken over the River Severn.

From here it was back to Longley and up Castle Lane and to the A38
, were a quick dash was made towards Hardwick.

Then we said goodbye to Iain as we turned up Field court drive and Duncan headed for home at the other end of thd road.

So it was just me and Shaun returimg to the start point and I did a little loop of the estate just to take the ride over 30 miles

Attachments

• IMG_20160911_104817.jpg
    IMG_20160911_104817.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20160911_105002.jpg
    IMG_20160911_105002.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 1473587240617.jpg
    1473587240617.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 51

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Full marks @Stonechat , all those hill reps locally look to have paid off. I expect Priest Hill, Tite Hill & Prune Hill will be considered mere lumps in the road now:okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Last edited:

jayonabike