Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Went a fair wee run today, still aching :ohmy: Bit windy when I set off but had to go home and swap the long sleeve thin jacket for the gilet version :sun:Some roads closed so stopped for a drink and an animal bar, hidden in the tiny saddle bag just within reach of a chubby wee hand :blush: Lots of building, houses and new school but no work on bypass today so quieter and not so dusty.
Passed some calves in a field near the local dairy (veal waiting room) sad :sad: so no pic taken.
Some other bovine youngsters appeared very interested in my next juice stop (followed by some "get a room" antics by one of the bullocks) :giggle: luckily no pic :ohmy:
A few cyclists out today but not a smile or wave between them :hello:
Mostly very courteous drivers today so all good there.
No idea of mileage, thought about a computer thingmybob but not sure. Tiring but enjoyable run.

:bravo: :highfive: A very well done to you.

Which brings me finally to sit down and properly write up my report. ( I'ts been a busy week and I've been trying to keep caught up and respond to other threads, even though this is my favourite, It's not one to be rushed.)
So, last Sunday I achieved my first imperial century!!!!! Yay!!!! ^_^ :bicycle: :dance: :biggrin::wahhey:
I've been excited, nervous and worried leading up to doing 100 miles but now 6 days later and my sore thighs and neck feeling better, I wonder what took me so long. Actually it has taken a lot of time to gradually build up the miles which I'm so glad I did. I was even allowed to go out for a few rides while we were on holiday.
I needed an organised event to make me do this and what better or more worthwhile than The Manchester 100 which is organised by The Christie.

I arrived at Wythenshaw Park, asked the chaps in the next car to help me unload the bike, loaded the bike up with bottles and bags, attached the rider number to the handlebars, togged myself up with helmet, glasses, gloves etc, made my way to the start, said hello to a friend from one of my cycling groups in the registration tent, watched a couple of waves of cyclists set off and decided that I was ready to go - all in the pouring rain! It wasn't cold though. They waved us off in a group of about a dozen and we had to ride slowly until we were out of the park and out onto the main road. They don't swap your registration card for the route card until you go through the barrier into the holding pen ready to set off where it would be awkward to get my reading glasses out without getting in people's way so I was glad that I'd taken the trouble to download and study the gpx file and copy it into ridewithgps and trace it to get the voice turn cues. However I'd only gone a few yard before the cheery voice in my earpiece said "end of route" ! I must have clicked the start of the ride in the wrong part of the park. My hope that it would restart wasn't to be and I didn't want to stop and get my phone and glasses out of my bag. However once we sped up on the main road, I noticed that the little Cateye computer wasn't showing anything so I did stop quickly in a lay-by to tweak the magnet and sensor which must have been knocked whilst the wheel was in the car. This quick stop left me on my own for a few minutes but the first few miles out of Manchester had lots of stops for traffic lights and I soon caught up with and overtook two groups even though I'd been advised to take it easy to start with I couldn't help myself. I'd also been advised that it would be really busy for the first part of the ride and then it would settle down which was indeed true. The worst bit for me was through the country lanes around Mobberly where the overtaking packs didn't seem to have any consideration for the people they were passing, often cutting in very tightly, one rider only just missed my front wheel.

I stopped in the turning to Tatton Park to take off my outer rain jacket, as I had got very warm going up the hill and it had stopped raining. I also took the chance to nibble on some flapjack and reset the ridewithgps app on my phone. It was here that I was delighted that @kapelmuur caught up with me, having spotted my bright pink rain jacket up ahead, he stopped to ask if I was Katherine? Well met. We rode together until the first stop at Anderton Marina where I'd promised myself a cup of coffee and lots of stretches which I'd failed to do at the start in the rain. I hadn't planned to stop too often as I was so worried that I wouldn't get round in the ten hours but I found that I really needed to have short stops for stretches and to nibble on something. In all the practice miles I did I never actually mastered the art of opening any kind of food and keep riding. ( I don't know if it was nerves but I also needed lots of comfort breaks even finding a couple of hedges.)

I really enjoyed the route and once passed Northwich it was unfamiliar. The marshals and route signs were excellent but it was reassuring to have the cues, knowing in advance that there was a turn coming up, enabling me to get across for right turns in good time etc. The route took us deep into Cheshire which was lovely. It was dark riding through Delamere forest and it had some some nice down and ups where I could get enough speed going on the descents to keep up a fast momentum on the rises. At 45 miles, I had my first jelly baby as it had been quite hilly and it was the perfect boost. Just before Nantwich we were stopped at a crossroads by a marshal because the road was closed ahead for an air ambulance to land for a cyclist who'd been knocked off their bike. I hope he/she will be ok. We were told to head down the main road and pick up signs for Nantwich and we would pick up the correct route from there. Some of the other people who were stopped at the same time as me were a bit worried by this and no one seemed to want to be the first to go, a bit like waiting for someone to go at mini roundabouts, so I just went and was soon followed by others and started to see plenty more riders as we had to stop for junctions. The busy A49 and the A534 were not ideal and would have been quite unnerving for cyclists unused to being passed by fast traffic. To make matters worse, we were buzzed by a few hundred scooters from the Nantwich scooters club out on their annual rally. I'd say that about half gave us room and the rest were far too close, mostly the ones with L - plates on. After a while the air started to taste of petrol which wasn't nice. However, it was a nice fast flat road and I was able to get the legs going a lot faster for a while. Thankfully the half way point at a high school in Nantwich was finally reached. It was nice to chat with other riders and compare experiences so far. I bought a banana which looked nice and young and gave me a nice boost and some crisps which I had been craving for a while probably because everything I'd consumed up till then had been on the sweet side, even my sandwiches from home were peanut butter and jam. The coffee was not very pleasant, but I was glad of the caffeine. I also spoke to a rider from a different group I've ridden with occasionally, always nice to see a face you know amidst a sea of strangers.

After a showery morning it was lovely and sunny in the afternoon. I had my last stop and a banana at Winsford where they announced that there was only 30 miles to go. They'd been busy all day as it was also a stop for the 60 mile ride. The people there were extremely friendly and encouraging. It was this and the knowledge that there was only 30 miles to go that made me decide not to stop again until the finish. Although I was feeling stiff and achy despite the stretches, I really found my legs in this last third, maybe because I was more relaxed by then and less worried about finishing. The last ten miles seemed to go on forever but suddenly I came round a corner and there was the entrance to the park and the finish line. I slowed down to savour the moment and despite the lateness of the day there were enough people clapping to make me get a bit emotional which I wasn't expecting. After locking up the bike and chatting to a few people I went to collect my certificate. They wanted to know if I'd done it in 6, 8 or 10 hours riding time so I went to check on Strava which I'd forgotten to stop and upload and was astounded to see that I had done it in under 8 hours, though with all the stops I had actually taken 91/2 hours from start to finish.
I knew that I would be overtaken by the speedsters and the packs, which I was, and that I would find myself overtaking people on the downs and flats who would then overtake me on all the ups and this turned out to be the case. I also found that I was always much quicker getting away at junctions than most, so it must have been those factors combined that helped me achieve the dizzy average speed of 14.1mi/h for 102.9mi Distance, 7:19:14 Moving Time, 2,103ft Elevation.

Sorry this report is so long!

Nicely done,always a good feeling doing the first 1oo;hopefully the first of money.

Today was a quick 50k blat on the carbon wheel and tub shod Helium;nice sunny day again,bit of a breeze but otherwise as fine a cycling day as you can get.

https://www.strava.com/activities/708418526

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hope you are ok and most importantly the bikes fixable . It's been one of those weekends I also put me and my bike in a hedge yesterday .
Im guessing the front shifter needs recabling as it clunked earlier in the ride, saddle has a bit of gravel rub, as for me i have road rash on the hip. chain ring cut on the calf and a headache from the sting .
Sod this the bikes are for sale i will take up competitve tv watching :smile:

Mrs M

Guru
About this time of year the Welshpool Rotary Club put on an event I've often thought I'd like a go at, so having seen it announced in the local paper I decided to have a go.

First things first though - I needed to get over there. Welshpool is only about 20 miles away but the choice is to use the A458 which is the main holidaymakers route from the Midlands to the Mid Wales coast :headshake:or over The Long Mountain (not to be confused with the Long Mynd)..... I chose the latter.

It was an 8am start which gave me plenty of time to get there for registration. The roads were quiet and I made good time. There was a stop at Lea Cross to check on whether another rider was alright - he'd only got to the end of the road before picking up a puncture, not a good start for his planned 50 miler.:sad:

Continuing I had to dodge wasps for the next couple of miles before getting to the more open main road to Westbury which again was quiet. At Westbury the road turns upwards with 656 feet (200 metres) of climbing before I get to my turning for Welshpool. It's a steady climb and the scenery is fantastic though which makes it worthwhile. I saw a Red Kite circling which I know doesn't impress people from certain parts of the country but here it's something special as these birs were the rarest of the rare until just a few years ago when the population started to recover (and not due to birds being reintroduced from foreign parts).

The descent made me marvel at the scenery again and soon I was in Welshpool and arriving at Raven Square Station for the Race The Train event. I was early but they were already registering riders which gave plenty of time to get myself sorted.

The event is what it says: The Welshpool and Llanfair Railway train leaves at 11.15 am and the challenge is for the cyclists to get to Llanfair Caereinion Station before the train does. Fairly easy for any reasonably fit rider but there are a couple of catches: The cycling route isn't the direct way and is very hilly and at least half of the riders on the event have to beat the train for it to count as a win for the cyclists. Game on!

As a surprise my parents and brother and sister came over to ride on the train and see how I did. So, no pressure.;)

The wait for the start seemed to take for ever but then there was the guard's whistle followed by the engine's whistle and the Mayor of Welshpool waved us off. By an accident of numbering I'd been put right on the front row and led everyone away but I didn't stay there long, but wasn't completely dropped either. Once we turned off the main road and onto the lanes things changed. I was able pass a few other riders on the hills despite having one of the heaviest bikes and being the only one carrying luggage.

As everyone settled down to their natural pace I found myself sticking with one particular rider who was slower than me up the hills but could do a pro-style aero tuck on the downhills and get past again. We carried on this game of leapfrog right to the end when he got past on the final descent. I thought it was brilliant fun. I'm pretty sure that by the end he was quite annoyed with me overtaking so often though.:shy:

I beat the train.:wahhey: and came in somewhere in the middle of the bunch which I'm quite happy with.

Having met up with family, seen the stragglers arrive, got my certificate and had a bite to eat it was time to head for home so I retraced my steps (the climbs are much steeper going in this direction) and was able to take in some of the scenery I didn't have time to appreciate on the way out.

After Welshpool the Long Mountain beckoned again and from this side this is also a steeper and higher climb (863 feet or 263 metres in about 2 miles :heat:) with tired legs I needed all my low gears but made it without rest stops.

At the top I decided not to just go back the way I'd come and picked an alternative way down the mountain through Broomhill and Wallop. That put me onto the right road to take another alternative to Minsterley and Pontesbury before heading home. I also detoured through Condover to up the mileage giving me another metric century and taking advantage of the strengthening wind to help me home.

For those who like them, there are the stats for today:
63.2 miles for the day, 12.5mph average (happy with that on a pretty hilly ride), I passed 4000 miles for the year to date, my time for Race The Train was 34 minutes 53 seconds beating the train by 10 minutes and 6 seconds.:hyper: And finally; 24 of the 33 riders beat the train meaning the cyclists officially won the race this year.

Great fun. I'd like to do it again next year.:okay:

View attachment 143612
En route to Westbury and just taking a pause for a drink. There is cloud draped over the Stiperstones

View attachment 143613
Another quick stop getting high up on The Long Mountain. I couldn't have asked for much better weather to ride in today.

View attachment 143614
Down the other side and the town of Welshpool is in sight.

View attachment 143615
My challenger: Countess, which will be pulling the 11.15 train to Llanfair Caereinion.

View attachment 143616
The cycling challengers, with the mayor meeting and greeting.

View attachment 143617
Countess heads off to couple up and we begin the countdown to the start.

View attachment 143618
A jump to the end now as during 35 minutes of furious cycling I didn't take any photos. Countess arrives with train exacty as scheduled but enough riders have beaten her to claim victory (this year at least).

View attachment 143619
On my way back and here is some of the scenery I didn't get to appreciate earlier on.

View attachment 143621
Near the foot of the second climb over The Long Mountain. I used the entire range of useable gears today and reminded myself why I like my Raleigh so much.
Great pics, sounds like a fun day out .

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Slr with the fabulous CC peeps meeting at Wellington Arch chilling out in the baking sunshine which was nice as it was bloomin freezing when I left the shires this morning. Headed round a very confusing and busy Hyde Park cycle ish road works track. Then to Regents Park for a toilet break departing through Camden where we appear to have lost one so returned but with no sign we headed back for a nice trip to Alexandra Palace which has some stunning views of London Town
image_zpsclziwena.jpe

Quick coffee break at the cafe with the lake.
image_zpsjkl99yqz.jpe

From there we were expertley chauffeured over to RAF Henfon which is never heard of what a cracking place it is
Free entry and open every day except Xmas day apparently.
image_zpsadde6fik.jpe

image_zpshfvdzx0f.jpe

image_zpsrqj5eoni.jpe

image_zpsozjuak3b.jpe

We were then treated to a fly past by a Spitfire and followed by a demo by this clearly rich gentleman
image_zpskqomyo5r.jpe

A 70 year old Merlin engine roaring away is the noise of the gods it was stunning. From there we followed the A5 all the way back through the badlands of Cricklewood and done hurendous traffic for a Sunday. I sloped off as we entered Paddington and back to the station and home.
Only 31.5 miles in 3 hours 21 with 1057 ft of climbing in a sedate 3 hours 12 mins. A lovely day and home for a cracking roast dinner all in all a lurrrrrvely day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/708435112/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-GB&v=1473602381

Cheers
Mark.

https://www.strava.com/activities/708863624

Well chuffed today as I managed the 2nd of my targets for this year, which was a 20 mile solo loop at a 20mph average.

The first target was to ride a solo imperial ton and I've managed two of those this year.

The third is to ride 6k miles this calendar year and am currently at 5200, so hopefully should make 7k by the end of the year.

Only got into this cycling malarkey seriously last year following a hip replacement, so am pleased with my progress and the associated health benefits. 54th birthday tomorrow so may have a few jars to celebrate reaching my mid-fifties. Can't see me getting much faster before age starts to become a handicap.

Need to set some good achievable targets for next year to keep me motivated.

:smile:

Graham

Mrs M

Guru
https://www.strava.com/activities/708863624

Well chuffed today as I managed the 2nd of my targets for this year, which was a 20 mile solo loop at a 20mph average.

The first target was to ride a solo imperial ton and I've managed two of those this year.

The third is to ride 6k miles this calendar year and am currently at 5200, so hopefully should make 7k by the end of the year.

Only got into this cycling malarkey seriously last year following a hip replacement, so am pleased with my progress and the associated health benefits. 54th birthday tomorrow so may have a few jars to celebrate reaching my mid-fifties. Can't see me getting much faster before age starts to become a handicap.

Need to set some good achievable targets for next year to keep me motivated.

:smile:

Graham
Well done, happy birthday for tomorrow .

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
16.5 miles today, plenty of cyclists out enjoying the optimum weather, very pretty out, and not as windy as yesterday, which was 11.7 miles. In todays weather,
76F
24C
Winds calm
Relative humidity 39%
Barometer 30.17
Partly cloudy
Grasshoppers kept hopping into my spokes.\
29617019765_721be6b409.jpg
Yesterday:
73F
23C
Winds NW 17 G 28
Relative humidity 51%
Barometer 30.00
Scattered clouds, but wind was everywhere.

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
About this time of year the Welshpool Rotary Club put on an event I've often thought I'd like a go at, so having seen it announced in the local paper I decided to have a go.

First things first though - I needed to get over there. Welshpool is only about 20 miles away but the choice is to use the A458 which is the main holidaymakers route from the Midlands to the Mid Wales coast :headshake:or over The Long Mountain (not to be confused with the Long Mynd)..... I chose the latter.

It was an 8am start which gave me plenty of time to get there for registration. The roads were quiet and I made good time. There was a stop at Lea Cross to check on whether another rider was alright - he'd only got to the end of the road before picking up a puncture, not a good start for his planned 50 miler.:sad:

Continuing I had to dodge wasps for the next couple of miles before getting to the more open main road to Westbury which again was quiet. At Westbury the road turns upwards with 656 feet (200 metres) of climbing before I get to my turning for Welshpool. It's a steady climb and the scenery is fantastic though which makes it worthwhile. I saw a Red Kite circling which I know doesn't impress people from certain parts of the country but here it's something special as these birs were the rarest of the rare until just a few years ago when the population started to recover (and not due to birds being reintroduced from foreign parts).

The descent made me marvel at the scenery again and soon I was in Welshpool and arriving at Raven Square Station for the Race The Train event. I was early but they were already registering riders which gave plenty of time to get myself sorted.

The event is what it says: The Welshpool and Llanfair Railway train leaves at 11.15 am and the challenge is for the cyclists to get to Llanfair Caereinion Station before the train does. Fairly easy for any reasonably fit rider but there are a couple of catches: The cycling route isn't the direct way and is very hilly and at least half of the riders on the event have to beat the train for it to count as a win for the cyclists. Game on!

As a surprise my parents and brother and sister came over to ride on the train and see how I did. So, no pressure.;)

The wait for the start seemed to take for ever but then there was the guard's whistle followed by the engine's whistle and the Mayor of Welshpool waved us off. By an accident of numbering I'd been put right on the front row and led everyone away but I didn't stay there long, but wasn't completely dropped either. Once we turned off the main road and onto the lanes things changed. I was able pass a few other riders on the hills despite having one of the heaviest bikes and being the only one carrying luggage.

As everyone settled down to their natural pace I found myself sticking with one particular rider who was slower than me up the hills but could do a pro-style aero tuck on the downhills and get past again. We carried on this game of leapfrog right to the end when he got past on the final descent. I thought it was brilliant fun. I'm pretty sure that by the end he was quite annoyed with me overtaking so often though.:shy:

I beat the train.:wahhey: and came in somewhere in the middle of the bunch which I'm quite happy with.

Having met up with family, seen the stragglers arrive, got my certificate and had a bite to eat it was time to head for home so I retraced my steps (the climbs are much steeper going in this direction) and was able to take in some of the scenery I didn't have time to appreciate on the way out.

After Welshpool the Long Mountain beckoned again and from this side this is also a steeper and higher climb (863 feet or 263 metres in about 2 miles :heat:) with tired legs I needed all my low gears but made it without rest stops.

At the top I decided not to just go back the way I'd come and picked an alternative way down the mountain through Broomhill and Wallop. That put me onto the right road to take another alternative to Minsterley and Pontesbury before heading home. I also detoured through Condover to up the mileage giving me another metric century and taking advantage of the strengthening wind to help me home.

For those who like them, there are the stats for today:
63.2 miles for the day, 12.5mph average (happy with that on a pretty hilly ride), I passed 4000 miles for the year to date, my time for Race The Train was 34 minutes 53 seconds beating the train by 10 minutes and 6 seconds.:hyper: And finally; 24 of the 33 riders beat the train meaning the cyclists officially won the race this year.

Great fun. I'd like to do it again next year.:okay:

View attachment 143612
En route to Westbury and just taking a pause for a drink. There is cloud draped over the Stiperstones

View attachment 143613
Another quick stop getting high up on The Long Mountain. I couldn't have asked for much better weather to ride in today.

View attachment 143614
Down the other side and the town of Welshpool is in sight.

View attachment 143615
My challenger: Countess, which will be pulling the 11.15 train to Llanfair Caereinion.

View attachment 143616
The cycling challengers, with the mayor meeting and greeting.

View attachment 143617
Countess heads off to couple up and we begin the countdown to the start.

View attachment 143618
A jump to the end now as during 35 minutes of furious cycling I didn't take any photos. Countess arrives with train exacty as scheduled but enough riders have beaten her to claim victory (this year at least).

View attachment 143619
On my way back and here is some of the scenery I didn't get to appreciate earlier on.

View attachment 143621
Near the foot of the second climb over The Long Mountain. I used the entire range of useable gears today and reminded myself why I like my Raleigh so much.

Edit to add: The official results have been posted. It seems that the first rider home set a new record time for the course. I finished in 13th place. 25 out of the 33 actually beat the train and there was 1 DNF.

They also mention that since the event first ran, the train is in the lead with 5 wins to the cyclists 3.
:bravo:

Top Bottom