Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Today I was book on the Tour de Leicestershire charity ride which was 76 miles in length so I had in the back of my mind to go for an imperial century Start point was 7 miles away so an extended ride to and from and bingo but some times things don't go to plan . Woke this morning to rain lashing against my window oh great I going to get wet :rain:. So out the door at 0700 in foul conditions I would normally not ride in . Turned the 7 miles into 12 got to the start registered a lined up to start no hanging around . Off in the second wave settled into my rhythm passing the slower riders . One rider latched on and we headed to the hills of Charnwood forest .up my local climb of pollybotts the other rider was dropped there was no waiting today so pressed on up the climb to St Bernards Abbey passing the slower riders from the first group . Up the climb of Deans lane through Quorn. Where another rider latched on so out to the first feed station at Rothley where the other rider carried on but I stopped for fluid and cake . Quick stop weather not for hanging about .Was told at the feed station I was the first person in doing the long route ^_^ So off again through Cossington and up humble lane whereI was joined by another ride Craig who was matching my pace so we just linked up . Up the Wreake valley and circling Leicester . Lunch stop at Hungarian really nice spread and warm drinks again we were first of the long routers .Again a quick stop as you soon get cold .The plan of taking spares socks was a masterstroke dry feet again but not for long .Back out into the rain .On to the next drink station at Foston even quicker stop as the cold was really creeping in . At a steep downhill on a twisty road I decided to overcook a corner slip on some mud and put me and the bike into a hedge :cursing: luckly no damage to the bike and a few scrapes for me .Dust myself down and off we set again . Through the last village before the finish one last climb and I notice the back wheel feel soft :cursing: got to the top and yeah after over 8500 miles I got my first fairy visit 1 mile from the finish :cursing: Told Craig to crack on so now Im at the side of the road in the rain soaked through cold struggling to even undo my saddle bag .I thought sod this I knew my sister was at the finish with a car so phone call and 2 mins later the bike and me are in a car to the finish .Craig was waiting and he was the first finisher of the long route .Was going to fixture the puncture there but now was shivering with cold thankfully my sister had bought a hoodie and a towel so after a quick coffee a lift home was called for . So 86.75 miles done in dreadful conditions one crash one puncture the century can wait but annoyingly the legs felt great :bicycle:

Was your off on the road between Foston and Peatling Magna? Is a cracking bit of road to ride on when dry, but it is always a bit muddy and very slippery in the wet.

13 rider

Guru
Was your off on the road between Foston and Peatling Magna? Is a cracking bit of road to ride on when dry, but it is always a bit muddy and very slippery in the wet.
Yes you guessed it . Combination of not being able to see out of my glasses poor road conditions not knowing the road loss of concentration due to tiredness and riding like a plank . It's certainly rolling terrain round there

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Yes you guessed it . Combination of not being able to see out of my glasses poor road conditions not knowing the road loss of concentration due to tiredness and riding like a plank . It's certainly rolling terrain round there

I ride around there nearly everyday, part of my commute. Hope you and more the importantly the bike are okay.

13 rider

Guru
I ride around there nearly everyday, part of my commute. Hope you and more the importantly the bike are okay.
Bike is fine finished the ride then another 16 don't think I've even scratched it . Me few scrapes and sore shoulder it was a softish landing . Hung onto the bike then neat foward roll over the bars as it hit the deck.

iandg

Legendary Member
I rode the Isle of Harris Mountain Festival MTB race on the Cross Check today. 32km 864m of ascent, 2 river crossings (swollen due to last nights heavy rain). Targeted 3hrs for the ride so I decided not to take the camera so that I wasn't distracted. Finished in 3hrs 5mins. Would have ducked under 3hrs if it wasn't for the 40mph+ gusts that I was riding against over the last 4 mile. For the record I was 3rd out of 9 riders - but that's irrelevant as we were all just riding for the challenge rather than the race. Tough but in a perverted way enjoyable :smile:

https://www.strava.com/activities/707136392

14264869_10154518572152486_6850039512802636459_n.jpg

14332986_10154519015357486_2223441778288259474_n.jpg

Still smiling as I hit the last off road section at Bho Glas.

14292394_1775292436017009_1020128217267831358_n.jpg

Last edited:

Zimbob

Über Member
A nice sunny day in the Highlands for a run out, but far too windy for my liking :sad:

Just shy of 45 miles, 1800-odd feet of elevation... Given the strong winds, as per usual always a headwind or a crosswind, this felt tough, but affy good fun ^_^

No photos I'm afraid, as we weren't for stopping, apart from a rescue mission...

https://www.strava.com/activities/707461753

Highlight of the day was relocating a tiny, cute li'l mole from the sun-baked tarmac to a shady grassy tunnel away from the road :becool:Poor wee fella looked most disconbobulated at being out in the noon-day sun....

Katherine

Guru
It never stopped raining during the ride awful . Got home fixed the puncture changed clothes warm drink then back out for another 16 miles to total 103 miles for the day could not let you do a ton and me fail ^_^
:bravo: :highfive: A very well done to you.

Which brings me finally to sit down and properly write up my report. ( I'ts been a busy week and I've been trying to keep caught up and respond to other threads, even though this is my favourite, It's not one to be rushed.)
So, last Sunday I achieved my first imperial century!!!!! Yay!!!! ^_^ :bicycle: :dance: :biggrin::wahhey:
I've been excited, nervous and worried leading up to doing 100 miles but now 6 days later and my sore thighs and neck feeling better, I wonder what took me so long. Actually it has taken a lot of time to gradually build up the miles which I'm so glad I did. I was even allowed to go out for a few rides while we were on holiday.
I needed an organised event to make me do this and what better or more worthwhile than The Manchester 100 which is organised by The Christie.

I arrived at Wythenshaw Park, asked the chaps in the next car to help me unload the bike, loaded the bike up with bottles and bags, attached the rider number to the handlebars, togged myself up with helmet, glasses, gloves etc, made my way to the start, said hello to a friend from one of my cycling groups in the registration tent, watched a couple of waves of cyclists set off and decided that I was ready to go - all in the pouring rain! It wasn't cold though. They waved us off in a group of about a dozen and we had to ride slowly until we were out of the park and out onto the main road. They don't swap your registration card for the route card until you go through the barrier into the holding pen ready to set off where it would be awkward to get my reading glasses out without getting in people's way so I was glad that I'd taken the trouble to download and study the gpx file and copy it into ridewithgps and trace it to get the voice turn cues. However I'd only gone a few yard before the cheery voice in my earpiece said "end of route" ! I must have clicked the start of the ride in the wrong part of the park. My hope that it would restart wasn't to be and I didn't want to stop and get my phone and glasses out of my bag. However once we sped up on the main road, I noticed that the little Cateye computer wasn't showing anything so I did stop quickly in a lay-by to tweak the magnet and sensor which must have been knocked whilst the wheel was in the car. This quick stop left me on my own for a few minutes but the first few miles out of Manchester had lots of stops for traffic lights and I soon caught up with and overtook two groups even though I'd been advised to take it easy to start with I couldn't help myself. I'd also been advised that it would be really busy for the first part of the ride and then it would settle down which was indeed true. The worst bit for me was through the country lanes around Mobberly where the overtaking packs didn't seem to have any consideration for the people they were passing, often cutting in very tightly, one rider only just missed my front wheel.

I stopped in the turning to Tatton Park to take off my outer rain jacket, as I had got very warm going up the hill and it had stopped raining. I also took the chance to nibble on some flapjack and reset the ridewithgps app on my phone. It was here that I was delighted that @kapelmuur caught up with me, having spotted my bright pink rain jacket up ahead, he stopped to ask if I was Katherine? Well met. We rode together until the first stop at Anderton Marina where I'd promised myself a cup of coffee and lots of stretches which I'd failed to do at the start in the rain. I hadn't planned to stop too often as I was so worried that I wouldn't get round in the ten hours but I found that I really needed to have short stops for stretches and to nibble on something. In all the practice miles I did I never actually mastered the art of opening any kind of food and keep riding. ( I don't know if it was nerves but I also needed lots of comfort breaks even finding a couple of hedges.)

I really enjoyed the route and once passed Northwich it was unfamiliar. The marshals and route signs were excellent but it was reassuring to have the cues, knowing in advance that there was a turn coming up, enabling me to get across for right turns in good time etc. The route took us deep into Cheshire which was lovely. It was dark riding through Delamere forest and it had some some nice down and ups where I could get enough speed going on the descents to keep up a fast momentum on the rises. At 45 miles, I had my first jelly baby as it had been quite hilly and it was the perfect boost. Just before Nantwich we were stopped at a crossroads by a marshal because the road was closed ahead for an air ambulance to land for a cyclist who'd been knocked off their bike. I hope he/she will be ok. We were told to head down the main road and pick up signs for Nantwich and we would pick up the correct route from there. Some of the other people who were stopped at the same time as me were a bit worried by this and no one seemed to want to be the first to go, a bit like waiting for someone to go at mini roundabouts, so I just went and was soon followed by others and started to see plenty more riders as we had to stop for junctions. The busy A49 and the A534 were not ideal and would have been quite unnerving for cyclists unused to being passed by fast traffic. To make matters worse, we were buzzed by a few hundred scooters from the Nantwich scooters club out on their annual rally. I'd say that about half gave us room and the rest were far too close, mostly the ones with L - plates on. After a while the air started to taste of petrol which wasn't nice. However, it was a nice fast flat road and I was able to get the legs going a lot faster for a while. Thankfully the half way point at a high school in Nantwich was finally reached. It was nice to chat with other riders and compare experiences so far. I bought a banana which looked nice and young and gave me a nice boost and some crisps which I had been craving for a while probably because everything I'd consumed up till then had been on the sweet side, even my sandwiches from home were peanut butter and jam. The coffee was not very pleasant, but I was glad of the caffeine. I also spoke to a rider from a different group I've ridden with occasionally, always nice to see a face you know amidst a sea of strangers.

After a showery morning it was lovely and sunny in the afternoon. I had my last stop and a banana at Winsford where they announced that there was only 30 miles to go. They'd been busy all day as it was also a stop for the 60 mile ride. The people there were extremely friendly and encouraging. It was this and the knowledge that there was only 30 miles to go that made me decide not to stop again until the finish. Although I was feeling stiff and achy despite the stretches, I really found my legs in this last third, maybe because I was more relaxed by then and less worried about finishing. The last ten miles seemed to go on forever but suddenly I came round a corner and there was the entrance to the park and the finish line. I slowed down to savour the moment and despite the lateness of the day there were enough people clapping to make me get a bit emotional which I wasn't expecting. After locking up the bike and chatting to a few people I went to collect my certificate. They wanted to know if I'd done it in 6, 8 or 10 hours riding time so I went to check on Strava which I'd forgotten to stop and upload and was astounded to see that I had done it in under 8 hours, though with all the stops I had actually taken 91/2 hours from start to finish.
I knew that I would be overtaken by the speedsters and the packs, which I was, and that I would find myself overtaking people on the downs and flats who would then overtake me on all the ups and this turned out to be the case. I also found that I was always much quicker getting away at junctions than most, so it must have been those factors combined that helped me achieve the dizzy average speed of 14.1mi/h for 102.9mi Distance, 7:19:14 Moving Time, 2,103ft Elevation.

Sorry this report is so long!

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru

Which brings me finally to sit down and properly write up my report. ( I'ts been a busy week and I've been trying to keep caught up and respond to other threads, even though this is my favourite, It's not one to be rushed.)
So, last Sunday I achieved my first imperial century!!!!! Yay!!!! ^_^ :bicycle: :dance: :biggrin::wahhey:
I've been excited, nervous and worried leading up to doing 100 miles but now 6 days later and my sore thighs and neck feeling better, I wonder what took me so long. Actually it has taken a lot of time to gradually build up the miles which I'm so glad I did. I was even allowed to go out for a few rides while we were on holiday.
I needed an organised event to make me do this and what better or more worthwhile than The Manchester 100 which is organised by The Christie.

I arrived at Wythenshaw Park, asked the chaps in the next car to help me unload the bike, loaded the bike up with bottles and bags, attached the rider number to the handlebars, togged myself up with helmet, glasses, gloves etc, made my way to the start, said hello to a friend from one of my cycling groups in the registration tent, watched a couple of waves of cyclists set off and decided that I was ready to go - all in the pouring rain! It wasn't cold though. They waved us off in a group of about a dozen and we had to ride slowly until we were out of the park and out onto the main road. They don't swap your registration card for the route card until you go through the barrier into the holding pen ready to set off where it would be awkward to get my reading glasses out without getting in people's way so I was glad that I'd taken the trouble to download and study the gpx file and copy it into ridewithgps and trace it to get the voice turn cues. However I'd only gone a few yard before the cheery voice in my earpiece said "end of route" ! I must have clicked the start of the ride in the wrong part of the park. My hope that it would restart wasn't to be and I didn't want to stop and get my phone and glasses out of my bag. However once we sped up on the main road, I noticed that the little Cateye computer wasn't showing anything so I did stop quickly in a lay-by to tweak the magnet and sensor which must have been knocked whilst the wheel was in the car. This quick stop left me on my own for a few minutes but the first few miles out of Manchester had lots of stops for traffic lights and I soon caught up with and overtook two groups even though I'd been advised to take it easy to start with I couldn't help myself. I'd also been advised that it would be really busy for the first part of the ride and then it would settle down which was indeed true. The worst bit for me was through the country lanes around Mobberly where the overtaking packs didn't seem to have any consideration for the people they were passing, often cutting in very tightly, one rider only just missed my front wheel.

I stopped in the turning to Tatton Park to take off my outer rain jacket, as I had got very warm going up the hill and it had stopped raining. I also took the chance to nibble on some flapjack and reset the ridewithgps app on my phone. It was here that I was delighted that @kapelmuur caught up with me, having spotted my bright pink rain jacket up ahead, he stopped to ask if I was Katherine? Well met. We rode together until the first stop at Anderton Marina where I'd promised myself a cup of coffee and lots of stretches which I'd failed to do at the start in the rain. I hadn't planned to stop too often as I was so worried that I wouldn't get round in the ten hours but I found that I really needed to have short stops for stretches and to nibble on something. In all the practice miles I did I never actually mastered the art of opening any kind of food and keep riding. ( I don't know if it was nerves but I also needed lots of comfort breaks even finding a couple of hedges.)

I really enjoyed the route and once passed Northwich it was unfamiliar. The marshals and route signs were excellent but it was reassuring to have the cues, knowing in advance that there was a turn coming up, enabling me to get across for right turns in good time etc. The route took us deep into Cheshire which was lovely. It was dark riding through Delamere forest and it had some some nice down and ups where I could get enough speed going on the descents to keep up a fast momentum on the rises. At 45 miles, I had my first jelly baby as it had been quite hilly and it was the perfect boost. Just before Nantwich we were stopped at a crossroads by a marshal because the road was closed ahead for an air ambulance to land for a cyclist who'd been knocked off their bike. I hope he/she will be ok. We were told to head down the main road and pick up signs for Nantwich and we would pick up the correct route from there. Some of the other people who were stopped at the same time as me were a bit worried by this and no one seemed to want to be the first to go, a bit like waiting for someone to go at mini roundabouts, so I just went and was soon followed by others and started to see plenty more riders as we had to stop for junctions. The busy A49 and the A534 were not ideal and would have been quite unnerving for cyclists unused to being passed by fast traffic. To make matters worse, we were buzzed by a few hundred scooters from the Nantwich scooters club out on their annual rally. I'd say that about half gave us room and the rest were far too close, mostly the ones with L - plates on. After a while the air started to taste of petrol which wasn't nice. However, it was a nice fast flat road and I was able to get the legs going a lot faster for a while. Thankfully the half way point at a high school in Nantwich was finally reached. It was nice to chat with other riders and compare experiences so far. I bought a banana which looked nice and young and gave me a nice boost and some crisps which I had been craving for a while probably because everything I'd consumed up till then had been on the sweet side, even my sandwiches from home were peanut butter and jam. The coffee was not very pleasant, but I was glad of the caffeine. I also spoke to a rider from a different group I've ridden with occasionally, always nice to see a face you know amidst a sea of strangers.

After a showery morning it was lovely and sunny in the afternoon. I had my last stop and a banana at Winsford where they announced that there was only 30 miles to go. They'd been busy all day as it was also a stop for the 60 mile ride. The people there were extremely friendly and encouraging. It was this and the knowledge that there was only 30 miles to go that made me decide not to stop again until the finish. Although I was feeling stiff and achy despite the stretches, I really found my legs in this last third, maybe because I was more relaxed by then and less worried about finishing. The last ten miles seemed to go on forever but suddenly I came round a corner and there was the entrance to the park and the finish line. I slowed down to savour the moment and despite the lateness of the day there were enough people clapping to make me get a bit emotional which I wasn't expecting. After locking up the bike and chatting to a few people I went to collect my certificate. They wanted to know if I'd done it in 6, 8 or 10 hours riding time so I went to check on Strava which I'd forgotten to stop and upload and was astounded to see that I had done it in under 8 hours, though with all the stops I had actually taken 91/2 hours from start to finish.
I knew that I would be overtaken by the speedsters and the packs, which I was, and that I would find myself overtaking people on the downs and flats who would then overtake me on all the ups and this turned out to be the case. I also found that I was always much quicker getting away at junctions than most, so it must have been those factors combined that helped me achieve the dizzy average speed of 14.1mi/h for 102.9mi Distance, 7:19:14 Moving Time, 2,103ft Elevation.

You can't beat at bit of Cornish hill training :okay:
Did my 103.6miles in 6.28.42 16mph with 4313ft Elevation thankfully all the big hills were within the first twenty miles . Mind you there was an hour and half rest between mile 86 and setting off again

robjh

Legendary Member
Our 2-person, 2-dog motorhome trip has now brought us to Lake Como in Italy, and while Mrs rjh and said dogs relaxed by the water today I went off to join the hordes of cyclists I see flitting along the roads round here.
It was around 16km down the E side of the lake to Varenna, where I caught a ferry to Bellagio, on a promontary at a fork in the lake and hence appearing to be right n the middle of it.
20160910 (6) Varenna-Bellagio ferry.JPG

I then followed what several websites describe as a 'classic climb', up the spine of the peninsula to a quirky little chapel called Madonna di Ghisallo, reached after about 10km and 500m of climb. It was steady at around 5% and not too hard if taken slowly (as I did) and with a couple of photo stops (which I took). I got up there in about an hour.
View back to Bellagio from the climb
20160910 (12) Bellagio to Madonna di Ghisallo.JPG

I was hardly alone. The Madonna di Ghisallo sanctuary is dedicated to cyclists and cycling, and riders from all over Europe (though above all Italy) were up here, ogling the venerable bikes in the chapel (of Eddy Merkcx and others), paying their respects and generally enjoying the ride and the views. The latter were rather hazy due to the heat.
20160910 (13) Madonna di Ghisallo.JPG
20160910 (20) Madonna di Ghisallo.JPG
20160910 Madonna di Ghisallo interior (1).jpg
20160910 Madonna di Ghisallo interior (4).jpg

I took a longer way back, via Lecco and the southern tip of the lake, then taking the inland Valsassina road back to Colico where I was staying. The initial slog up from Lecco and into the high valley was harder than I'd expected (no contour maps, you see), and I got caught in a rainstorm while on the higher ground, but it then turned into some 20km or more of fast downhill to the lake shore. What's not to like? I finally got home after 9 hours, a few stops, some stiff climbs and great downhills/flat lakesides, and about 110km ridden.

Old jon

Guru
They wanted to know if I'd done it in 6, 8 or 10 hours riding time so I went to check on Strava which I'd forgotten to stop and upload and was astounded to see that I had done it in under 8 hours, though with all the stops I had actually taken 91/2 hours from start to finish.

Marvellous!! Top class ride. And a very readable write up, thank you.

Old jon

Guru
A great morning for a bike ride, and I was up early enough to go to work. Now that I no longer have to, waking up and leaving the bed early just does not seem to matter. So two hours before usual departure time, there I was pedalling around Holbeck and along my way to Crown Point Road, and the bridge of that name. It seemed easy riding up to the clock at Oakwood, tailwind it must have been. The tradesmen’s gates at Roundhay Park were open, direction signs with arrow and ‘Cycle Event Route’ started there. I will have to look at what is going on in the town I live in.

Up Boot Hill, at the top turn right onto Red Hall Lane, straight across Coal Road and along Skeltons Lane to Thorner Lane. Through Thorner, up Church Hill and continue to Bramham and once over the top of the A 1 turn right and carry on all the way to Aberford, cross Cock Beck and turn right for Barwick in Elmet ( full name ‘cos its Sunday ) and after a bit of up and downery, cross Cock Beck again. I did post a similar video last April, but look at the greens in this one.

View: https://youtu.be/J4wWfm-KaV4

Through Barwick and Scholes, a bit of A 64 and turn right onto Thorner Lane and along to Skeltons Lane to complete the circle. Then a mirror image of the morning’s ride out to complete a smidge over thirty miles. Wonderful it was.

A version of my ride this morning, I am sure it was steeper than it looks.

11092016.jpg

Lonestar

Veteran
Green Man>Whipps Cross>Bakers Arms>Church Road>Oliver Road>Leyton Mills>Leyton Tube>Stratford>Bow>Mile End>Harford Street>Aston Street>Commercial Road>Caroline Street>CS 3>Westferry>Poplar>Blackwall>East India>Canning Town>Plaistow>Clapton FC>Forest Gate....where the ride ended due to chain jamming meaning I had to walk the last few miles.Not really a worry though although it was about 3am.I did about 16 miles including my furthest eastwards ride on the CS 3.

Had felt unwell and unable to sleep (my legs and back ached really badly)so decided on a ten mile ride at just a bit later than 1am and had seen how many parts of my ex commutes had changed and also places I hadn't visited before mainly on the CS 3.

On stopping for some food in Forest gate at about something past 2am a person took an unhealthy interest in my bike being obsessed with the fact I could lift it with my finger with me telling him it's not that light as it's an audax bike..So when I went in I flipped the gear leavers in case he decided to nick it.On coming out of establishment and riding away forgetting what I had done the chain jammed between the two front cogs and unable to retrieve I walked the rest which was a bit of an adventure in itself.Had no tools on me.Nice ride and plan to do it again exploring the Devons Road route.Nice to know I can avoid the CS 2 completely on my commute now.

Also a lot of p'heads around including one in the CS 2 at Stratford well out of his nut.Tube stations opened and in places many people around and lots of mini-cabs.

My mistake on my third commute this year of taking a wrong turning and ending up at Limehouse really did change mine and a workmates commute leading to the fact I now have the knowledge to avoid a road I have been commuting on for the last 25 years...namely the CS 2 Mile End Road.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Out just after 8 this morning, and decided on part of the ride I was going to do last Monday. New territory for me out to Ripley and back, including a bit of 'lost' time. Did a bit of the Ride London 100 route, and now understand why people want to take part, really nice to ride, even with the limited Sunday morning traffic, so must be ace on closed roads.
Quite a few cyclists out this morning, and in the last few miles I passed 2 groups of the Hounslow & District Wheelers, pretty sure no @Stonechat there though as he's probably somewhere up a French hill at the moment...
27.7 miles, and now know exactly where my October metric half route will be going.

2 notable distances today, just ticked over 4000 miles for the year so far, and the RT-58 which I bought whilst bed-ridden in late June/early July last year has now done 2022 miles. I never thought I'd be achieving a fraction of this little over a year ago, when walking was near impossible and getting back on the bike seemed a distant dream. Amazing what the right doctor can achieve...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Well done!

Top Bottom