Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ended up working to 04:00 this morning so got a lie in, logged into work did a couple of hours and got the afternoon off. Decided to take the recently put back together in race mode CX bike out for a spin in the woods as I have 2 CX races this weekend and it has not been tested.
Good job I did, ended up taking the bars off in the woods and removing spacers and slamming them as low as they would go. Found I hated the SPD's on the bike so going back to egg beaters if I can find the cleats. Then the bike started to rattle, found the problem, the lockring on the cassette had came loose. Had no tool so went home. Found it fairly horrible off-road compared to my XC MTB , got rattled to bits, but I am sure I will get used to it again. Edit when I got home on investigation I found the shimao ultegra lockring threads were quite deep and would not do up fully flush with the ancient mavic helium hub, found a older unbranded lockring with less thread, the lockring then did up fully. Never noticed it before with those hubs.
cx in the woods.jpg

Last edited:
I fitted a pair of Marathons 1500 miles ago and I had just about got used to seeing a tread pattern. It is an odd sort of distraction and one I hope not to repeat, but this morning it suddenly got worse! After my trundle through Holbeck to Office Lock, just after going under the viaduct that gives the road its name, someone had spilt white paint on the towpath. I thought it had dried, aye there was a crust on top. I now have two highlighted tread patches on the front tyre. I guess you could call it luck.

On I went. After crossing the Ring Road at Lawnswood I took the left branch of the road to ride all the way up to Cookridge, and instead of following the road to Bramhope I turned left again, around the back of Leeds and Bradford Airport, up that hill of many grunts, followed by its nasty little brother, to cross the A 658 and really fly down the Chevin into Otley. Cross the river, up the hill and turn left for Weston. And a sandwich stop. Note to self, there is a road to ride north out of Askwith, maybe next time.

The ride home had to be easy, that flickering tread was almost giving me a headache, so back into Otley, none of this going further up the valley, I know Denton Bridge is shut. The good old A 660 through Bramhope works well for me.

From Headingley ( some event or another happening ) to Kirkstall and the towpath again, missing that paint, around a bit of Hunslet and home 31.6 miles after leaving it. Tired too.
And the map, no paint splodges

View attachment 143293

Jon you put me to shame. Boy how many miles do you ride annually.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Commuting today but with a companion. My brother decided to join me for the ride to work and I took him the long way in (my third time doing the long way this week) via Acton Burnell and Cressage. We allowed 10 minutes longer than I usually would for this route and had a fairly pleasant ride in spite of someone impatient within the first mile and a brisk headwind for the first half.

Doug didn't rush at it like last time we were out together and managed pretty well even though it is quite hilly after Cressage. We parted company just before my work, with Doug going on to complete 30 miles by the time he got home. His longest ride for a while I believe. :okay:

The day at work was fairly mundane until we had the first sample of a brand new product delivered. This provided a bit of excitement and we lost no time getting it set up to try out.^_^

By the time I left work the wind had picked up (gusting to 34mph from met office data) which made the ride home a little interesting. The Galaxy rides nicely in a headwind but is quite skittish in a strong crosswind so field gateways made for an interesting hazard for a while. I was quite glad when I got to the last 3 miles where the wind was helping and a 24mph cruise was quite easy to maintain.:hyper:

27.7 miles for me for the day with a 13.2 mph average.

DSC0003827.jpg

It wasn't really a ride for photography so I just grabbed this one at a drink stop.

DSC0003832.jpg

A sneak peek at something new. The looks are quirky but it's a hoot to ride.

Katherine

Guru

Buck

Guru
Since I am planning on joining Nickyboy's forum ride from Leeds to Scarborough later this month, I thought I'd better get some miles in to make sure I was OK with a c.80 miler. (My best so far is half this - I tend to do shorter, hillier routes)

I'd seen the Selby Three Swans Sportive that was held last week (but hadn't realised it was on early enough to book/go to it!) but I did look at the route and thought it looked a good one for training so used their 60 miler as my choice. (they had a 30, 60 and 100 mile route on the day)

I had planned to do the ride tomorrow with a friend but he couldn't make it so as today was my day off it was to be today! The forecast was for dry weather albeit at the expense of a strong Southerly wind with gusts put 35mph - ah well that'll be resistance training of sorts then :smile: After getting the boys to school and a couple of quick jobs at home, I was off!

Parking in the centre of Selby (£3 all day - bargain!) I headed out into relatively busy traffic - something I'm not particularly used to and I'll be honest wasn't overly comfortable with it - especially as I'm on SPD-SLs and don't always clip in first time! Anyways, no serious incidents to report so all good there!!

From the car park I took a turn north and headed over the River Ouse and headed onto country lanes and a beautiful start to the ride, heading through interestingly named villages such as Osgodby, Skipwith, and Thorganby before the road headed east and I started to feel the effect of the wind. Despite this I felt I was setting a good pace and enjoying the ride. As I neared Crockey Hill, there were lots of cars; camper vans and tractors in the fields either side of the road. Apparently it is the 66th National Ploughing Championships! Talking of ploughing, some dope in a large 4x4 nearly took me out by turning across my path into the car park, only stopping at the last minute. I'd braked hard and this allowed me to swerve and get through the gap he had kindly left me - I thanked him with a few choice words and carried on. I then started to head south towards Stillingfleet. The flat open land was a nice change from my usual hills but offered no shelter from the wind.

IMG_3241.JPG

As I arrived in Cawood there was a sign for Mrs B's Lakeside Kitchen at a holiday/caravan park so knowing there'd be little else on offer until Tadcaster, I pulled in and had a coffee and a sandwich (I then realised this is one of the refreshment stops on the Scarborough ride so no doubt some of the roads will be familiar next time!!)

I then headed north through Ryther and it was only later (as I got to the junction I realised I'd missed a turn just after Rather village that would have taken me south past the RAF base at Church Fenton then north past this junction). Not a problem, I would just do that part of the route on the return leg.

I headed north then east and then a right on a quite busy A162 to take me into Tadcaster. Some of you may know that the main road bridge across the Wharfe was destroyed in the terrible weather and floods of last winter. I rode up to where the road was closed then walked down to the river bank to see what progress was being made. Looks like they are sorting the foundations but its going to be a very long job and the 300+ year old bridge will not be the same once complete. Hard to believe that the water was up to the top of those arches!

IMG_3242.JPG

I walked over the temporary footbridge and continued my ride from the north side of the river. Taking a left and enjoying a quiet circular ride through Wighill, Healaugh and Bilbrough before riding over the very busy A644 and on towards Colton Bridge and Bolton Percy again into the wind which made it a bit more of a slog.

Back into Tadcaster I was coming up to around 50 miles and at the crossroads I turned left at the traffic lights only to have another 4x4 try to turn in front of me (Grrr!) Thankfully the day had been marked by the vast majority of cars and vans passing wide or holding back on the bends each time.

Again over the foot bridge and heading south now. I was starting to feel a little tired - my previous best distance was 40 miles so I was already 10+ on that. South on the A162 and remembering that I needed to complete the Church Fenton part, I mistakingly continued past the junction I needed for a few metres thinking I needed to keep heading south but a quick correction and I was back on towards Ulleskelf.

IMG_3243.JPG

South to Church Fenton and then East and North towards Ryther and I came out at the junction I'd missed first time! No harm done and a right turn to start the south easterly drag back to Selby.

Tired legs and the strong wind made this feel harder than it should have done but eventually, Selby was in sight and as I came into the car park I was relieved but also elated at the distance I'd covered and I knew my average speed would be respectable. Shame my friend couldn't make it as someone sharing the front would have made a real difference.

Bike safely in the car and a quick drink before heading home and a nice hot shower.

Here's the link to the Relive.cc https://www.relive.cc/view/706037000

Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 21.33.01.png

64.8 miles / 104 km with just 1,1119ft of climbing but a nice average speed of 15.6mph

https://www.strava.com/activities/706037000

13 rider

Guru
Today I was booked on the Tour de Leicestershire charity ride which was 76 miles in length so I had in the back of my mind to go for an imperial century Start point was 7 miles away so an extended ride to and from and bingo but some times things don't go to plan . Woke this morning to rain lashing against my window oh great I going to get wet :rain:. So out the door at 0700 in foul conditions I would normally not ride in . Turned the 7 miles into 12 got to the start registered a lined up to start no hanging around . Off in the second wave settled into my rhythm passing the slower riders . One rider latched on and we headed to the hills of Charnwood forest .up my local climb of pollybotts the other rider was dropped there was no waiting today so pressed on up the climb to St Bernards Abbey passing the slower riders from the first group . Up the climb of Deans lane through Quorn. Where another rider latched on so out to the first feed station at Rothley where the other rider carried on but I stopped for fluid and cake . Quick stop weather not for hanging about .Was told at the feed station I was the first person in doing the long route ^_^ So off again through Cossington and up humble lane where I was joined by another ride Craig who was matching my pace so we just linked up . Up the Wreake valley and circling Leicester . Lunch stop at Hungarian really nice spread and warm drinks again we were first of the long routers .Again a quick stop as you soon get cold .The plan of taking spares socks was a masterstroke dry feet again but not for long .Back out into the rain .On to the next drink station at Foston even quicker stop as the cold was really creeping in . At a steep downhill on a twisty road I decided to overcook a corner slip on some mud and put me and the bike into a hedge :cursing: luckly no damage to the bike and a few scrapes for me .Dust myself down and off we set again . Through the last village before the finish one last climb and I notice the back wheel feel soft :cursing: got to the top and yeah after over 8500 miles I got my first fairy visit 1 mile from the finish :cursing: Told Craig to crack on so now Im at the side of the road in the rain soaked through cold struggling to even undo my saddle bag .I thought sod this I knew my sister was at the finish with a car so phone call and 2 mins later the bike and me are in a car to the finish .Craig was waiting and he was the first finisher of the long route .Was going to fixture the puncture there but now was shivering with cold thankfully my sister had bought a hoodie and a towel so after a quick coffee a lift home was called for . So 86.75 miles done in dreadful conditions one crash one puncture the century can wait but annoyingly the legs felt great :bicycle:

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
Today I was book on the Tour de Leicestershire charity ride which was 76 miles in length so I had in the back of my mind to go for an imperial century Start point was 7 miles away so an extended ride to and from and bingo but some times things don't go to plan . Woke this morning to rain lashing against my window oh great I going to get wet :rain:. So out the door at 0700 in foul conditions I would normally not ride in . Turned the 7 miles into 12 got to the start registered a lined up to start no hanging around . Off in the second wave settled into my return passing the slow riders . One rider latched on and we headed to the hills of Charnwood forest .up my local climb of pollybotts the other rider was dropped there was no wait I'm waiting today so pressed on up the climb to St Bernards Abbey passing the slower riders from the first group . Up the climb of Deans lane through Quorn. Where another rider latched on so out to the first feed station at Rothley where the other rider carried on but I stopped for fluid and cake . Quick stop weather not for hanging about .Was told at the feed station I was the first person in doing the long route ^_^ So off again through Cossington and up humble lane whereI was joined by another ride Craig who was matching my pace so we just linked up . Up the Wreake valley an circling Leicester . Lunch stop at Hungarian really nice spread and warm drinks again we were first of thd long routers .Again a quick stop as you soon get cold .The plan of taking spares socks was a masterstroke dry feet again but not for long .Back out into the rain .On to the next drink station at Foston even quicker stop as the cold was really creeping in . At a steep downhill on a twisty road I decided to overcook a corner slip on some mud and put me and the bike into a hedge :cursing: luckly no damage to the bike and a few scrapes for me .Dust myself down and off we set again . Through the last village before the finish one last climb and I notice the back wheel feel soft :cursing: got to the top and yeah after over 8500 miles I got my first fairy visit 1 mile from the finish :cursing: Told Craig to crack on so now Im at the side of the road in the rain soaked through cold struggling to even undo my saddle bag .I thought sod this I knew my sister was at the finish with a car so phone call and 2 mins later the bike and me are in a car to the finish .Craig was waiting and he was the first finisher of the long route .Was going to fixture the puncture there but now was shivering with cold thankfully my sister had bought a hoodie and a towel so after a quick coffee a lift home was called for . So 86.75 miles done in dreadful conditions one crash one puncture the century can wait but annoyingly the legs felt great :bicycle:
Well done. Shame about the weather and the puncture. It's been lovely here today.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
My longest ride for more years than i care to remember at 54 miles doing the Northamptonshire Historic Church ride with aa cycling buddy who doesnt use cycle chat !!!!!

We started at Great Doddington then took in the following places , Earls Barton, Mears Ashby , Sywell ,Holcot ,Brixworth ,Cottesbrooke ,Hazelbeach ,Naesby ,thornby ,Cold Ashby ,Creaton , Spratton ,Church Brampton Lunch in Chapel Brampton , Pitsford ,Moulton and finally Sywell a great ride in the rain .

Only incidents were a front broken spoke a mile from home so i turned around and swapped wheels and then about the 10 mile point a rear spoke went so we carried on and it only towards the end could i start to feel any vibration .

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Like @Buck I've signed up for the @nickyboy Scarborough ride in a few weeks, so wanted to keep my legs turning and headed out this morning covering some of the early part of the route.

The usual spin up an local roads, then the climb up Leeds Road to Scholes, where a group of cyclists were waiting by the Coronation Tree. Past them and right up the hill, then the long descent into and through Barwick (where twit turned across me in his stupid blue car, resulting in a test of the brakes) and all the way on to Cock Beck, then the climb up Cattle Lane before reaching Aberford.

Right at the T-junction, through the village and left into Lotherton lane under the A1(M) and the climb to Lotherton Gates, before picking up Coldhill Lane for the enjoyable run down to the Saxton turning. Up the sharp climb and between the freshly harvested fields on roads that could almost be in France and into the village, then right for the climb and then descent down to the A162.

Right then left into Barkston Ash and the long straight run to Church Fenton. Over the bridge by the station and through the village, stopped briefly at possibly the worlds most pointless temporary traffic lights, before turning onto Brackenhill Lane for the run along the airfield perimeter and out into the countryside.
Over the East Coast mainline bridge and into Ryther, where today I turned left, back towards Ozendyke then Ulleskelf and eventually onto Raw Lane for the run back to the A162.

Right here and eventually down the hill, before peeling off left towards Stutton and through the village before tackling the Garnet Lane climb, over the A64 and eventually turning left onto Toulston Lane towards Bramham.
Right at the top of the village intending to test my speed down the Windmill, but stopped short by a "Road Closed" sign. A cyclist was just coming back "You can't get through, they're turning everyone back". I'm not sure what was going on, but I could see a group of pitchfork wielding locals, sorry civilians in hi-viz vests at the top of the hill, so I too turned round and decided to head through the village. Took the first right, Prospect Bank, which is actually a dead end (although being in Bramham it's more likely a cul-de-sac...), so back up to the top and along to Vicarage lane, which is a nice downhill past the church and village hall and eventually pops you out onto Clifford Rd, where I turned right and headed for, well Clifford.
Up the hill, and into the village and down High Street, avoiding a mini-group ride who pulled out of a side road before taking a left onto Cinder Lane for the run up to Boston Spa, where the mini-group caught up with me as I waited for a gap in traffic.
Up Main St and then right down to the bridge, but pulled in to let the group past. Over the bridge and up the other side as a sizable peleton headed the other way, including a couple who looked old enough to know better trying to get all Chris Froome aero down the hundred yards of hill to the bridge...:rolleyes:

Right in Thorpe Arch and up Church causeway, past the signs saying it's closed during the day for two weeks from 26/09 for resurfacing (it needs it), past the church and down the hill, before taking the left onto Dowkell Lane, then right onto Wood Lane all the way up to Walton Rd and the ride into Wetherby.
Over the A1(M) bridge, round the roundabout and into the town.
As always it was busy and I had the misfortune to get stuck behind a numpty with zero positional awareness in a Merc SLK with a cheap 'cherished' plate but apparently no indicators...
Down to The Wilderness car park intending to have a '99' by the river, but the ice cream van wasn't there!
So I had an peanut bar and took a photo instead:
IMG_20160910_105929184.jpg

Back on the bike and up the mountain out of the car park only to find the usual route blocked by roadworks, so followed a diversion round and then decided not to tackle the traffic in Wetherby again and headed back out the way I'd come and then the A168 to the roundabout and then onto the cycleway to climb the hill up to Wattlesyke roundabout.
Onto West Woods Rd for a rapid run down to Thorner Rd, then right up the hill along the edge of Bramham Park, before turning onto Thorner Lane, through the dip and onto Bramham Lane for the single track road all the way down to Rigton Green, where I caught up with a family on MTBs.
Fortunately they turned down the hill towards Bardsey, while I climbed back up onto Holme Farm Lane towards Milner Lane, then along the ridge before the sharp descent and climb into Thorner where the church bells were ringing.

Through the village and the obligatory climb up Sandhills (Van Zyl Hill), setting a new PB on the climb to Skeltons Lane, then Coal Rd and finally local roads to home.

45.00 miles (72.42km) in 3h 1m at an average of 15.0 mph, with 1,978ft climbed. Would have been nice to get an imperial half in but time was against me, so pleased with that. This was the 3rd new PB up Sandhills since getting the new bike, and I've now taken a total of 37 seconds off my best on the old bike, which is just amazing :okay:
A lot of other cyclists about, mostly friendly and the weather was far better than forecast which was a bonus.

10092016.JPG

Top Bottom