Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
Went a wee toddle on the Pashley last night just as it was getting dusky so darkness fell as I was out.
Mostly stuck to the light up roads and shared cycle paths but did some country roads at the start :smile:
Was too warm to go out straight after work, plus I wanted my dinner :hungry: but too warm in long sleeves.
Quite a few runners and dog walkers about, plus a few kids (and one adult) on bikes with no lights :sad:
Bit more cautious going out lately, especially in the dark. There's a strange man been reported around Aberdeen who appears to be a jogger. He targets females out running, tells them how tired he is and asks for a piggy back, weirdo :thumbsdown: Decided not to return home via back of golf course just in case "the creeper" was about and asked for a "backie" home :angry:.
Maybe I should get a spud gun or water pistol for my protection on night rides :ohmy: :bicycle:
Enjoyed the night ride and planning more.

Old jon

Guru
Well, that was great! A ride of 35.1 miles on a warm day with a brilliant cool breeze, around some of the flatter bits of Yorkshire. That said, from where I live in Leeds there is quite a bit of up to ride before I cross the city boundary. It does pay back on the return journey though, thank you Mr. Newton.

Through Holbeck to Crown Point Road, and the river bridge at the end. A bit of a climb to Oakwood Clock and along Wetherby Road, up Boot Hill to the pub that shares the name and I had intended to turn left for Shadwell. Some quirk ( terrible things, quirks ) made me pedal straight on. I suppose it is a fair old time since I have ridden the A 58 all the way to Wetherby, going through Scarcroft, Bardsey, and Collingham along the way.

At the Wetherby roundabout turn into Wetherby itself. I would usually give the town a miss but the A 58 had been so quiet, and so was Wetherby, I rode through to the B 1224 junction without a stop. Anyway, across the A 1M on the bridge and two or three miles along the road to the Walton turn, it may look flat but that is not what my legs were telling me.

Turning to point towards home, Thorp Arch, cross the river to Boston Spa and turn left along Main Street as far as the right turn to Clifford. Cinder Lane it becomes, it may be Clifford Road to start with. From Clifford to Bramham to Thorner, oh aye, past Bramham Park. Big wagons, one carrying two PortaCabins, another with what looked like lots of staging. Looks like they are still clearing up from the festival.

Thorner, gasp up Sandhills, Skeltons Lane and Red Hall Lane followed by Boot Hill and home.

The map of meandering,

07092016.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After a week of small ambles to the shops and being kept busy trying to sort out the essentials in the new house, I snuck out this morning with Dad and his fellow fit retired group, West Thames Wheelers 2. Fine rain started the day, and whilst it never got sunny it was humid and sticky. Didn't go far, only Staines up to Windsor Great Park where we stopped for coffee at the Post Office. I'm the younger one....
WTW 7th Sept 2016.jpg

Thanks to 'Pete' for taking the photo, rare to get my Dad in as he's usually behind the camera. Pete arrived just as we were departing, on a very nice 1959 Carpenter which he had built for him in his youth and has owned since new. Wish I'd taken a photo, a very nice machine.
Returned via Tite Hill, and I sat back as TEC in primary as some idiots do try and overtake down here. Stopped halfway down as one of the group had a loose bungee strap flapping around, not a hill you want something like that going into your back wheel on...
20 miles all told.

Went a wee toddle on the Pashley last night just as it was getting dusky so darkness fell as I was out.
Mostly stuck to the light up roads and shared cycle paths but did some country roads at the start :smile:
Was too warm to go out straight after work, plus I wanted my dinner :hungry: but too warm in long sleeves.
Quite a few runners and dog walkers about, plus a few kids (and one adult) on bikes with no lights :sad:
Bit more cautious going out lately, especially in the dark. There's a strange man been reported around Aberdeen who appears to be a jogger. He targets females out running, tells them how tired he is and asks for a piggy back, weirdo :thumbsdown: Decided not to return home via back of golf course just in case "the creeper" was about and asked for a "backie" home :angry:.
Maybe I should get a spud gun or water pistol for my protection on night rides :ohmy: :bicycle:
Enjoyed the night ride and planning more.
Pleased to read you got out and hopefully they will catch that idiot man.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
My ride tonight? Truncated sadly. The second ride in two days! The warm weather helps. I reached the first bit of properly smooth tarmac after five miles or so and I feel bump, bump, bump with each revolution. I stop and have a look at the rear tyre. Side wall has gone with the beginning of a bulge.

Slowly return home. All dressed up and nowhere to go.

Mrs M

Guru
My ride tonight? Truncated sadly. The second ride in two days! The warm weather helps. I reached the first bit of properly smooth tarmac after five miles or so and I feel bump, bump, bump with each revolution. I stop and have a look at the rear tyre. Side wall has gone with the beginning of a bulge.

Slowly return home. All dressed up and nowhere to go.
Never mind, there's always tomorrow :smile: :bicycle:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
How hot has it been today? :sun:

Not too hot to take the offer of going for a cheeky post-work / pre-tea ride though!

Decided to use not to use the hybrid and that i'd stick to roads despite the hour, so kept to the quiet ones by heading down into Cross Gates, then up Manston Lane into the greenery. There was a surprisingly breezy breeze in my face on the way out, which was welcome from a cooling point of view but did nothing for my efforts though.

Stopped at the farm for a drink and then saddled back up for the return trip, with the breeze now effectively behind me it was oddly airless and felt like it was getting hotter by the minute. I had intended to repeat the run, but it was just too darn hot.
A long loop around Pendas Fields, climbing back up and then the shallow descent to Barwick Rd, before another loop around Manston for miles, then up to home avoiding the kids playing in the road ("nice bike mister" :okay:) and back in time for tea.

7.07 miles (11.37km) in a respectable 26m at a pleasing 16.2mph average, with a barely worth mentioning 249ft climbed and an Avg Temp of 20.3 °C.
All good fun but by 'eck I nearly melted! Tonights ride reminded me why I must make more effort to get out midweek.

No pics, but I did make a map:
07092016.JPG

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Took advantage of a quiet morning, got the boardman out and had one of the best rides this year. Visited my dear old mum in the nursing home, then crossed the valley to my supplier to order some bits and pieces then took the scenic route home. I noticed some big improvements in speed on the uphill bits and surprisingly a noticeable lack of changing gears on the hills too, it never ceases to amaze me the fitness gains I have achieved even at the age of fifty eight years all thanks to cycling and working out at home. It just goes to show age should not be a barrier to better health.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Alps, Day 4. Now it's just getting stupidly beautiful. Don't need to find any new cols now .... it's all so great around here. This morning I went back along the lakeside cycle path to St Jorioz heading up the Cote de Puget aiming to do the Col de Leschaux. I tried that one last year, and only got as far as St Eustache. This time I got to the top of the climb to La Chapelle St Maurice. Like yesterday, this entailed climbing then descending, then climbing again, with quite a climb on the "descent" too. It turns out that la Chapelle St Maurice is at an altitude of 950 metres, while the Col de Leschaux is "only" 897. There didn't seem any point in dropping down to take a look at it.
239.JPG

Again I opted not to stop on the climb, so took my pictures on the way back down. The highlight of the climb was when I came across a couple of deer in a meadow, and watched them for a few moments as I cycled by before they went bounding for cover in the tree line. I decided to do this climb again because of the views over Lake Annecy on the way down. Definitely my favourite local ride ... possibly my all-time favourite.
243.JPG

The descent is loaded with lovely smooth switchbacks and long, smooth, straight bits. I hate to think what kind of speed @Dark46 would get to down there. I was just happy to be free-wheeling and drinking in the views.
244.JPG

Just as I took this photo, the French cyclist coming the other way smiled and came up with a beautifully laconic, but apt comment. "C'est la recompense, eh?". The view was indeed "payback" for the effort expended grinding your way up there and putting in (by my reckoning) at least 600 metres of climbing.
245 C'est la recompense, eh.JPG

This ride just went to show that you don't need to constantly find climbs that have cycling history. Sometimes the best rides are ones that Le Tour has not yet discovered. Watch out for the Cote de Puget in future years. There were signs that it has recently been used in a tour of Savoie race, and it truly is a little (or not so little) gem. Mrs Donger got this shot of me returning to the house. I was still grinning from the descent.
246.JPG

I am floating on air. Cheers, Donger.

Top Bottom