Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Day 2 in the Alps. Up and out at sunrise again, this time to take on the Col du Marais. Raced over to Faverges again and took a left turn to head off through St Ferreol in the exact opposite direction of yesterday's climb of the Col de Tamie. A beautiful little village, St Ferreol, with more than its share of geraniums and a fine old watermill:
View attachment 142812
As with yesterday's ride, this was a comfortable, 4% gradient on average over 10km, though this one topped out at 843m at the Col, officially making it a little under 400m of height gain. The raw stats are a bit misleading, though, as the ride starts with 2km @ 5%, followed by 2 more @ 6%, but then there is a rather dis-spiriting drop of about 75m that has to be won back again just below the village of Serraval. This also meant doing a further 75m of climbing on the descent too, which seemed perverse. Pleased to report that I "beat" this col too, by getting to the top without stopping. Arrived at the col in a light shower, but decided against getting into my rain jacket. The col itself was unremarkable, but the ride up to it was very picturesque. I was sorely tempted to carry on to Thones or take a right onto the road leading to the Col de la Croix Fry for a couple of miles before turning around ... or to return via the Col de L'Epine, which was my first successfully climbed Alp back in 2013. But time waits for no man.
View attachment 142813
As I'd not stopped on the way up, I stopped for photos a few times on the way back down. With wet brakes, the descent was "interesting", but I got round these lovely hairpins below Serraval alright and never had any real scares.
View attachment 142814
Here is a shot taken about half way down, looking back up..... with quite a precipice on the right. (On the climb, I made sure I looked where I was going instead of going where I was looking):
View attachment 142816
Some of the great views I'd had on the way up had disappeared in the clouds by the time I got the camera out. Still looked great though, and the descent was accompanied by the tinkling of cow bells and the sound of rushing water:
View attachment 142815
Stopped off for a selfie at this lovely old bridge over a ravine. Didn't mess about after that, as there was a ruddy great trench of a drainage ditch on my side of the road that made the Rio Olympic road race route look positively wrapped in cotton wool. With the rest of this part of France now wide awake and some large trucks starting to trundle past, I was taking no chances, and kept my eyes on the road all the way back to St Ferreol.
View attachment 142817
Got back to Doussard 1 minute before my promised ETA. Got this col bagging down to a fine art now .... run like a Swiss train service. That's another 25.0 miles to add to yesterday's 24.5, and two of my four targetted cols successfully done. Tomorrow we are off out to Annecy mid morning, so I'll head off at sunrise to do a brisk but spectacular circuit of Lake Annecy instead of doing any climbing.
Cheers, Donger.

Donger that's it I ve had enough will you please stop posting forthwith as I am now really really jealous. Oh go on then carry on I can take it as it might inspire me to do the same next year. Really enjoying your updates and glad you are enjoying it.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Donger that's it I ve had enough will you please stop posting forthwith as I am now really really jealous. Oh go on then carry on I can take it as it might inspire me to do the same next year. Really enjoying your updates and glad you are enjoying it.
Thanks Ted. I really hope it does inspire someone to follow suit. If I can do it, aged nearly 56 and weighing over 20 stone, then most people could do it too. I am grateful to all the cycling buddies who have stuck with me over the years when winching myself slowly up hills on club rides and audaxes and encouraging me onwards.

Many of the Alpine cols that feature in the Tour de France are not in fact as steep as a lot of the roads in the Cotswolds and the Forest of Dean. Most of them have to be accessible for buses and trucks, so are really quite manageable by bike. The main difference is the length of the climbs, with very few of them being less than about 10km (6 miles). So if you want to go and give it a try, do what I did and keep practising your local hills in both directions .... up and over, turn around and up and over again. I had a few trips into the Welsh mountains this year too, and found them to be perfect training. I can honestly say I am loving every second of it. It feels so good to be able to get on your bike and literally go anywhere you want to, irrespective of the terrain. And as for Annecy .... Wow! What a fantastic base and i just can't recommend it highly enough. It really could be you next year. I'm nothing special, and I've found that I can do it.

Buck

Guru
My ride was actually yesterday but I missed the chance to post it then, so here it is...

A later start than planned due to completing a few chores before our boys go back to school this week but I was still off by 11am.

Up and out of the village, I headed up past the Sovereign and at the top turned right waving and saying "hi" to another cyclist only for him to shout my name! We stopped and turned around - one of my good friends who was taking the opportunity to ride out whilst his son played football :okay: He was almost finished and was heading back so I continued on my original route.

I headed up the Haddingley drag (and with the gusting wind it did feel a drag) and took a left down windmill lane - a nice straight descent that brings you to the main road at High Flatts. At the junction there is a Thai Cafe - we keep on meaning to call in to try their wares but as yet we haven't done so - must make it happen.

A right then quick turn left and I was heading into Upper Denby with a nice descent all the way to the Barnsley Road. Straight across here and past the Dunkirk pub which sadly closed a few months ago but is being redeveloped now as The Dunkirk Fine Food and Wine pub - will have to try it when its done - hopefully it will still be more a pub than an eatery?

Pool Hill Lane is a nice undulating road with a couple of short but reasonably stiff climbs (11-13%s) and with a few breaks in the hedges for nice views across the land and my usual beacon of Emley mast.

IMG_3230.JPG

A right turn heading towards High Hoyland and a group of Holmfirth CC riders were coming the other way - a cheery hi and wave to/from them all and I headed down towards Darton. Just before the centre I turned right on Cawthorne Lane and this is where all of that downhill time was paid back. A steady climb back into the beautiful village of Cawthorne.

Through the village and a right turn onto the busy A635 just as the heaven's opened for a short but heavy shower. Luckily the road was relatively quiet and not long after I took a left turn up Coach Gate Lane which is a long and steady lane up to Gunthwhaite Hall and Farm. At the top a right hand bend takes you past the farm and unluckily for me the road was covered in mud and slurry - ah well it'll clean off :smile:

Back into Upper Denby and then left to the main Sheffield Road. The wind wasn't letting up and the sky looked ominous.

IMG_3232.JPG

A quick left then right and I was on the road across the dam head of Ingbirchworth Reservoir and up the Horn Lane climb - again the wind was being unfair and just as I crested the climb, the heavens opened - refreshing !!

A cheery but somewhat submerged greeting to another very wet cyclist going the other way and I just dug in and climbed up the hill back up towards Windmill Hill.

Back past the quarry then I took the opportunity to have a little blast with the last of my legs at a short Strava segment on the Penistone Road - yet again I got just over 30mph and 21s (that's the 5th time) but I have yet to get 20s or below - one day !! (perhaps I should do it earlier in the ride!!)

Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 22.01.02.png

Back down into the village and just as I was changing down off the big ring I hit a pot hole and my chain flew off! Luckily I heard it and pulled over - would have been a bit embarrassing turning past the co-op and pedalling fresh air!!

Back home and a nice 24.2 miles and 1854 feet climbed

https://www.strava.com/activities/700117338

Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 22.04.05.png

Here's the relive.cc video as well: https://www.relive.cc/view/700117338

PS Bike given a good clean and full de-slurried :biggrin:

Last edited:
Someone in work, a member ofH&I bicycle club asked if I'd like to do it. I looked at the website, £17 to ride my usual roads! So I went to Toft beer festival on Saturday night (£2.40 a pint) then had a lazy Sunday morning.

I did think twice about it but as it was a local-ish one thought it would be a good idea to support it.

Today was what ended up as a blat down the Twenty pence and through Impington and Histon,down Kings Hedges and stopped the Garmin at the Golden Hind.Went a bit harder than I was going to but the legs felt ok so gave it a blast for a 30kph average.

Warm down through the city to work via the Little Waitrose where I seemed to meet every red light along the way.

Bit humid and sticky this morning:heat: but a good rife in though:bicycle:.

https://www.strava.com/activities/702177099

TrishE

Über Member
First ride on my new bike today thank you so much to robgul of the forum and his wife for delivering it too!!

Unfolded it easily at Newark station and rode off to millets in town with a big smile on my face ^_^ Took it into the shop with me then back to the marina so not far and it's folded and sitting in the boat ready for tomorrow's commute to work now :smile:
IMAG1272.jpg

postman

Legendary Member
The plan was,visit the grave check out the damage.Did that.Then on to Ilkley,Bolton Abbey,Embsay then in to Skipton.Well i think i have a blood pressure problem,heart was thumping and i felt sick and dizzy.Not good.So a bench stop,then set off again,same thing happened.Not taking any chances turned round and came home.Still feel dizzy,what a waste of a brilliant day,it is superb here in Leeds,oh well new pedals or should i say swapped over pedals feel great.Try again next week.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Quick 13 odd miles commute route check for me today..tried 4 ways to get to the same place and there all similar distance..tho some will be far better in winter as ill get more wind protection..
the new commuter now has ergon grips and mudguards..the OE grips were like stainless steel :laugh:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
The plan was,visit the grave check out the damage.Did that.Then on to Ilkley,Bolton Abbey,Embsay then in to Skipton.Well i think i have a blood pressure problem,heart was thumping and i felt sick and dizzy.Not good.So a bench stop,then set off again,same thing happened.Not taking any chances turned round and came home.Still feel dizzy,what a waste of a brilliant day,it is superb here in Leeds,oh well new pedals or should i say swapped over pedals feel great.Try again next week.
Hope you are feeling well and back out on the bike again soon, Postie.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Alps, Day 3: Took Mrs D into Annecy this morning for market day, so didn't have as much time to play with from sunrise to breakfast time. So opted to do a "Tour du Lac" instead of taking on any cols this morning. Last year I was so taken with the Annecy to Ugine cycle path, running along the West shore of lake Annecy, that I posted an article on the subject (Hope the link works):
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/i...paths-theyd-be-like-the-one-in-annecy.187481/

My only reservation about cycling around the lake was the horrible traffic on the on-road section at the Southern section of the East shore. And so it was with a little trepidation that I set out this morning to do my own version of the 2013 TdF time trial route (only much slower than Bradley Wiggins did it). Set out at sunrise with my lights on and wearing my brightest (Gloucester Rugby Club) cycling jersey. It came as a rather nasty surprise that this road is a commuter rat run between 7:15 and 7:45 in the morning, and I got buzzed by several close passes that made it an uncomfortable experience. At least the lake shore views went some way towards making up for it:
231 Early morning, Lake Annecy.JPG

By the time I reached the village of Angon, the day was getting brighter, and I was pleased to find a new section of lakeside cycle path with viewing platforms and boardwalks:
233.JPG
Had another nasty surprise when I got to Talloires and found that the cycle lane stopped abruptly, then switched to the opposite carriageway. Took a couple of minutes to get across the road, then I set off up a long straight hill that suddenly morphed into a proper climb with switchbacks ... I'd forgotten about having to climb up and over the Roc de Chere. This was followed by a lovely new tarmac surfaced cycle path that plunged back down straight as an arrow into Menthon St Bernard. However, it looked a bit of a death trap to me, as it was crossed by dozens of entrances to private driveways, any one of which could have had a car coming out of it at this time of day. (Wouldn't get past elf & safety back home). What's more, the path appeared to then end abruptly and completely for a couple of miles, leaving me at the mercy of the rat race traffic breathing down my neck. Not pleasant at all. I'm not at all sure whether there was any cycle path, but I had just not seen where it had gone .... my full concentration had been on the traffic, so I may have just got lost. Was pleased to see the path return at Veyrier and onwards into Annecy:
234.JPG

I stopped off to take a picture of the marina and the castle, (wearing my Gloucester Rugby Club cycle jersey, you will recall), and had just got going again when the peace was shattered by a loud call of "GLAWW-STERRR!" from who knows where.
235 Annecy.JPG

I looked around but couldn't tell whether it was a pedestrian or a passenger in a passing car. Small world though. I knew the way from here, and positively bombed back to Doussard along the familiar West shore, overtaking dozens of other cyclists on the way. These were the familiar sights of the old railway tunnel at Duingt:
236 Duingt Tunnel.JPG

and the old railway station at Bredannaz (complete with facilities for cyclists, and directly opposite a cyclists' cafe):
237 Bredannaz Station.JPG

Got back in good time to find the drizzle of yesterday was a thing of the past, and another glorious sunny day was here.
238 Glaw-strrrr.JPG

For the record, the round trip was 25.1 miles, which I did in about two and a half hours, stopping repeatedly to take in the views and take photos. Also had to stop at one point in Annecy for a cyclist-specific traffic light. (Bradley never had that to contend with).

I must say I didn't much enjoy the East side of the lake, despite the terrific views. It is a rat run (particularly early in the morning), and I would not recommend it for family cycling. (Stick to the West side). I understand they are planning to extend the path all the way round the lake, and work is already well under way. On the one hand that would be a welcome move. On the other, being also a keen motoring tourist, it would also be a shame. There are currently loads of places on the East shore where you can pull over and park for free right by the water, and people park there all day to have picnics and go swimming. There are plenty of councils in England that would charge a packet in parking fees for that, and it would be something of a loss if the parking spaces were replaced by another cycle path.

Oh well, back to the mountains tomorrow. (Plan to do the Col de Leschaux, having stopped irritatingly just short of the col last year, without realising it).
Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A different ride today, out with Mrs ND on her new Carrera Subway One for her first 'proper' ride (the previous rides have been home from the shop with it and a mile or two to set it up for her).

It's a route I've done myself many times squeezing in a quick post work ride, but at a more leisurely pace today for obvious reasons.
Please to report that not only did she do really well, but she really enjoyed the time out, so all is good and we might have got her back into cycling. :okay:
And this despite the chain coming off twice (a slight tweak needed).

Just over 9 miles in a steady 1h 13m at an average of 7.4mph on mainly quiet roads / bridleways with just a short section on one slightly busier road. And by heck was it hot - like being abroad at times.

No pics, but here is a map:

06092016.JPG

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Once I'd ridden home and had a shower (Twas a bit humid out there) I got changed, got my Cube bike ready, went to get the rear light from my Spa bike...

It wasn't there! I'd left it charging on my PC in work. So my journey began by going back to whence I came. Once I had my light I switched it on as it was a gloomy day again. I left town via Storeys Way and Huntingdon Road. Through Girton and Impington, along the horrible, busy straight road over the A14 and in to Dry Drayton. A left into Park Lane between bramble and haw covered hedges.

Up the other Madingley hill and head for Hardwick, but I wanted to ride for more than 20 miles. Down Long Road I shot(but fairly slowly), up the other side and turn right at the village hall sign.

Around a right angle bend, then the houses start. I wasn't going fast at this point.

A dark, fuzzy biplane shape came into my vision.... CRACK!

A dragonfly had flown into my face. My mouth was slightly open and it got me full on in the teeth and a bit of my lip. It bloody hurt too! I hope the dragonfly was ok.
So for the next 5 minutes I had a painful tooth and one hell of a musty taste in my mouth. I'd like to think I tasted pleasant to him.

From Toft I came back up the hill. The sun was retiring for the night, he put in the briefest of appearances

image.jpeg

22 and a bit miles. I'm so glad my gob wasn't wide open.

https://www.strava.com/activities/702811432

Mrs M

Guru
First ride on my new bike today thank you so much to robgul of the forum and his wife for delivering it too!!

Unfolded it easily at Newark station and rode off to millets in town with a big smile on my face ^_^ Took it into the shop with me then back to the marina so not far and it's folded and sitting in the boat ready for tomorrow's commute to work now :smile: View attachment 142897
Very smart bike :smile:

Thanks Ted. I really hope it does inspire someone to follow suit. If I can do it, aged nearly 56 and weighing over 20 stone, then most people could do it too. I am grateful to all the cycling buddies who have stuck with me over the years when winching myself slowly up hills on club rides and audaxes and encouraging me onwards.

Many of the Alpine cols that feature in the Tour de France are not in fact as steep as a lot of the roads in the Cotswolds and the Forest of Dean. Most of them have to be accessible for buses and trucks, so are really quite manageable by bike. The main difference is the length of the climbs, with very few of them being less than about 10km (6 miles). So if you want to go and give it a try, do what I did and keep practising your local hills in both directions .... up and over, turn around and up and over again. I had a few trips into the Welsh mountains this year too, and found them to be perfect training. I can honestly say I am loving every second of it. It feels so good to be able to get on your bike and literally go anywhere you want to, irrespective of the terrain. And as for Annecy .... Wow! What a fantastic base and i just can't recommend it highly enough. It really could be you next year. I'm nothing special, and I've found that I can do it.
Donger it just proves that a lot of it is mind over matter doesn't it. What I mean by that is if you tell yourself your going to reach the top of a mountain you will. I,ve done a few climbs in the Alps myself Alpe Dhuez,Izoard, Galibier ( easy side if there is one ) Les De Alpes and like you I am no stripling but I must admit I did them on a triple. I remember getting to the top of Dhuez and chatting to a Dutch fella and his son and we had a good laugh about how long it had taken me.
My hardest climb though was from Bourg oisan to the Croix De Fer.I kept struggling on to reach my goal stopping when I needed to and at one of those stops another cyclist stopped and must of seen that look in my eyes and told me that I musn't give up and had to carry on which I did for a while until I could go no further and I turned around and went back.
The next twelve months could not go quickly enough as I went back and finally did it. Another one ticked and that's why your journal is so inspirational.
Another anecdote from that trip was I had stopped on the mountain going back and a young and little girl was riding up behind me on her fully laden bike and when her how she made it look so easy she just said she was stubborn. And she soon went past me and disappeared into the distance.
I wont bore you with the detail but I seem to have a kidney problem at the moment so I am a bit restricted at the moment but If I can get it sorted in 2017 I am definitely going to ride the Ventoux to celebrate my 66 birthday.
I take your point about there being some hard climbs in the UK but I just love riding those climbs that the great cyclists have ridden over for so many years.Regards Ted

Top Bottom