Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After a couple of hours spent working in small spaces plumbing in a new shower, I popped out for a quick spin out to Windsor Great Park and back via Chobham. Few spots of rain within 5 minutes of leaving home came to nothing, unlike the rain that caught me in Sunningdale. A rather damp 16 miles.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
A week off work this week and the weather forecast looks fantastic, so over the weekend I planned a few routes.

Today's plan was to get up at normal work time (5:45) and get out of the for 7am and redo the CC Market Bosworth ride from the other week.

Alarm goes off at 5:45, I turn it off and turn back over! I eventually get out of bed at 6:30. Go downstairs for some breakfast, no bread! So I have to do with cornflakes and a cup of tea. I leave the house at 7:20 and it's warm enough to set off in ss top. It was surprisingly windy though and any riding in a southerly direction was quite hard work.

Anyway was a slog getting out of Leicester as all the roads were very busy with rush hour traffic, so plenty of filtering had to be done.

Once out of Leicester the traffic quietened down and it was a glorious ride all the way. Only issue was when I got to the cafe stop at circa 75 miles it was closed and I'd been looking forward to a Latte and bacon roll for the whole ride. Rather than look for another cafe I continued with the route and stopped at the Tesco in Birstall for a meal deal.

114 miles done and my 50th imperial century done. The ride was a lot easier the other week when done in company.

https://www.strava.com/activities/709657027

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A week off work this week and the weather forecast looks fantastic, so over the weekend I planned a few routes.

Today's plan was to get up at normal work time (5:45) and get out of the for 7am and redo the CC Market Bosworth ride from the other week.

Alarm goes off at 5:45, I turn it off and turn back over! I eventually get out of bed at 6:30. Go downstairs for some breakfast, no bread! So I have to do with cornflakes and a cup of tea. I leave the house at 7:20 and it's warm enough to set off in ss top. It was surprisingly windy though and any riding in a southerly direction was quite hard work.

Anyway was a slog getting out of Leicester as all the roads were very busy with rush hour traffic, so plenty of filtering had to be done.

Once out of Leicester the traffic quietened down and it was a glorious ride all the way. Only issue was when I got to the cafe stop at circa 75 miles it was closed and I'd been looking forward to a Latte and bacon roll for the whole ride. Rather than look for another cafe I continued with the route and stopped at the Tesco in Birstall for a meal deal.

114 miles done and my 50th imperial century done. The ride was a lot easier the other week when done in company.

How's your Eddington Number looking?

They are always more of a chew when you do them solo.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I was tired when I got home tonight. I had a shower, then vegged for 20 minutes.....

I couldn't resist a warm evening so I did a slow spin down to Toft, Comberton, across to Harlton then through the Eversdens . From Kingston I rode up to Caldecote. I had a car behind me, it was going slow due to the multitude of speed bumps. With that a muntjac sauntered out with all the time in the world, I'm sure he was smoking a cigar.

All of a sudden he came out of his trance and his little hooves were scrabbling on the Tarmac trying to get the hell out of there. He did.

15 miles once home. I dread the dark nights....

https://www.strava.com/activities/709900458

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Another cheeky post work ride.

No time for anything epic, just a quick blast out into the countryside and then loop back on roads that the bike could probably steer down on it's own. But it's a work night ride and that's what counts. Warm, surprisingly windy, but oppressively humid the second you got out of the wind.

IMG_20160912_180321193.jpg

7.1 miles (11.4km) in a breezy 26m at an average of 16.5mph, with a mere 259ft climbed.

12092016.JPG

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Having had the weekend off the bike while at Donington for the British GT final and spent too much time walking around, it was time to get the legs back to cycling mode.

The weather was perfect - bright, sunny & warm but with a little bit of a breeze so I went out for a few hours with the only plan being to head roughly into the (southerly) wind on the way out and take advantage of the ail wing for a large portion of the return leg. No route was planned and a couple of "where does this road go" turns almost had me joining the A12 dual carriageway.

I ended up with a total of 77 miles going out via Ipswich, under the Orwell Bridge and up to Holbrook where a tow from the 92 bus gave me a PB on the uphill stretch putting me on the same time as some of the top riders from the women's Tour of Britain from a few years ago. From there it was riding around the villages before dropping down into Essex via East Bergholt, then up to Higham and a meandering route back home via Claydon and the North of Ipswich.

https://www.strava.com/activities/709805210

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Worth riding to work for

image.jpeg

Another nice morning and another commute.
A steady run down the A10 and then on to the Camcycle path to give the S-Ones a go on rougher surfaces;7k later and a third best time on a segment,so I think we can say they roll nicely.

A little bit calmer through the city(although another 3rd best inadvertantly nabbed),a quip stop in the 'trose and then the short cut from East Rd to Mill Rd and then to work.

https://www.strava.com/activities/710452174/

Depending on how they stand up and wear the S-Ones may be my go-to tyre for the XLS.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Nice steady lazy ride this morning. Decided to go to Nice Pies cafe via the Great Central Way, Abbey Park and Watermead Park, 50 mile round trip with probably 20 plus miles of it on cycle paths. Not that I go whizzing around anyway, but it made a nice change having to bimble along at a slower pace, my legs needed it.

Anyway, since I was on a lazy ride, I even stopped to take a photo in Abbey Park:

WP_20160913_09_49_50_Pro.jpg

and this is was the reason for the ride:

WP_20160913_11_04_27_Pro.jpg

That cake was beautiful.

This is the actual cafe:

WP_20160913_11_04_56_Pro.jpg

and finally the hi tech bike parking in the background:

WP_20160913_11_04_39_Pro.jpg

Just over 53 miles and very very warm out there

https://www.strava.com/activities/710702238

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Set off for Brighouse to meet my brother 09.15, got there to find he had gone into the town centre so met him there.Spent an hour sat in the sunshine nattering then set off back to Halifax via the canal towpath, got to Salterhebble and took to road to cycle right across Halifax to call at the computer shop where I get my supplies. By the time I got there the temperature had hit 25'C and the sweat was pouring off me, finished off the water bottle I had taken with me then rode home, distance ridden today approximately 18 miles, sweat ....buckets....
Edit; Was out on the Raleigh Pioneer again.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
I had thought I might have squeezed a ride in yesterday, but it was not to be. I had to restring a mandriola, and you get all too few chances in a lifetime to do that, so, sorry bike. If you need to know, a mandriola is a mandolin with a bass string added to each course. Awesome instrument.

Back to topic. Thirty four point eight miles ridden today, starting with the wander of Holbeck and the towpath from Office Lock to Viaduct Road. The paint is still there. Cardigan Road and all the way up the A 660 to Lawnswood, turning right at the lights after the Ring Road to pass Adel Church. Continue on to Eccup Lane, riding around north of the village, past the New Inn and the rather wonderful drop through Weardly to the A 659, which is shut on the 20th of the month for resurfacing. Turn right towards Harewood and left to cross the Wharfe on Harewood Bridge. It often feels like more, but it is only a mile to the right turn for Kirkby Overblow with its steep approach in two steps . . .

There is quite a list of little villages between Kirkby Overblow and Sicklinghall, The next time I am around there I shall finish the video at Clap Gate. If I remember. Wetherby for a sandwich stop, in the shade of the Town Hall. The simple way home seemed appropriate, given the warmth, so out of town, take the third road off the roundabout and pedal the A 58 all the way back, leaving that road to pass the Oakwood Clock and rejoining the A 58 at the Fforde Grene junction. I shall have to find the history of that place, it was once a pub and must have taken its name from somewhere. Anyway, a good ride.

Instructions to bicycle a squiggle

13092016.jpg

13 rider

Guru
Day off work first job this morning was to clean the bike as I am ashamed to admit after Saturdays ride in the rain it was put away absolutely filthy . While cleaning the bike it got a good inspection as I crashed on Sat luckly can't find any damage not even a scratch .
So set off after dinner for a planned hour to see how the legs were . First five miles the legs didn't seem to work but then found my rhythm did my favorite loop out to St Bernards Abbey around Shepshed and back. Heading home legs felt great so decided to extended went up and over the Beacon to see if my descending confidence was still there after Saturdays off . Steady start the let it go down the steep bit new top speed ^_^ bike computer says 45 mph Strava says 50.1 mph I believe the bike computer which ever way it's faster than @Supersuperleeds :tongue: so confidence still intact . On to Quorn then followed my commuting route home . 35.6 miles in the bag at 16.3 mph so the legs are not to bad and this months metric half century in the bag . What a difference in the weather on Saturday I was at the side of the road shivering with cold and soaked through :rain: today I got home soaked in sweat :sun:

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Whilst digging through various boxes post-move to find a picture of the cat which seems to have wandered off, I found a Surrey CC map of cycle routes. A mooch over that and I was decided, an exploratory off road rode on the MTB. Bike found, but no pump. More box searching, no pump. So I went out on the RT-58 for a spin to Chobham and back, which was nice.
Both the CX and RT are overdue a clean, so both go the treatment after lunch. New chain fitted to the RT-58, and perhaps unsurprisingly found MTB pump....
Oh well, back on the commute tomorrow, so the exploring will have to wait.

Top Bottom