I am ashamed, very ashamed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I can't remember seeing many so I did a quick google. Just in case anyone else is curious:
View attachment 690042

They’re expanding fairly swiftly, the three I’m aware of around here have appeared in the last year or so. Reckon they’ll make it to other cities soon

I used to quite like the Chicken Leg End

but they have stopped doing them and replaced them with the Mc Crispy which is OK but the bun is rubbish
also SWMBO thinks they are a bit to spicy for her (she has a strange sense of taste) so now the only thing from there that she like is the cheeseburger
which she has plain - so no sauce etc

If she wants one I generally go and get it then come home and cook something else for myself!

Grandkids like it though

Nibor

Bewildered
At least McDonalds are the same price on th motorway as everywhere else unlike every other fast food establishment

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I used to quite like the Chicken Leg End

but they have stopped doing them and replaced them with the Mc Crispy which is OK but the bun is rubbish
also SWMBO thinks they are a bit to spicy for her (she has a strange sense of taste) so now the only thing from there that she like is the cheeseburger
which she has plain - so no sauce etc

If she wants one I generally go and get it then come home and cook something else for myself!

Grandkids like it though

I think many people will be miffed at the demise of the legend.
Have you tried McSpicy the steaming version of the McCrispy?

Fab Foodie

Given the amount of crap added to food generally, I doubt the chip thing is anything major in the great scheme of things, unless you practically live on them.

Ok, so I can see the logic behind it given the explanation. I can also see the fault in it too, but I doubt having the occasional sugar browned chips is really going to cause many problems unless you are diabetic or sommat.

To be totally pedantic, the amount of dextrose added at the factory for colour that ends-up on the chip will be very small indeed, fractions of a percent of the chip weight. Lots of foods have a small amount dextrose added (and sometimes whey powder) for browning via the fabled Maillard reaction. As it's reacting to create brown colour during frying the dextrose basically disappears so it's no longer sugar anyhow!

Rocky

Hello decadence
To be totally pedantic, the amount of dextrose added at the factory for colour that ends-up on the chip will be very small indeed, fractions of a percent of the chip weight. Lots of foods have a small amount dextrose added (and sometimes whey powder) for browning via the fabled Maillard reaction. As it's reacting to create brown colour during frying the dextrose basically disappears so it's no longer sugar anyhow!

Anyone would think you were a food scientist who worked for Macdonalds :whistle:

Fab Foodie

Anyone would think you were a food scientist who worked for Macdonalds :whistle:

Indirectly puhleese....I also moonlight for Burger King, Aldi and several plant-based start-ups....

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd rather eat the wrapper they came in than any "food" McDonalds sell.

Grudgingly I must concede their coffee is quite decent.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
We stopped in an all night Macdonald's on a Friday Night Ride once. As we were about to leave one of the staff came over and said that they'd overestimated the amount of fries that we'd eat and put too many on ... so here's a load of free portions of fries.

Now, I'm no gourmand so I started scoffing them ... but there is a limit. They defeated me.

PK99

Legendary Member
Are you sure about that?
Salt certainly.
I'd expect a small amount of dextrose to be added at the chip factory to standardise seasonal and varietal colour, but see no benefit in adding sugar (sucrose or dextrose) after frying in store.

You are correct.

That is what maccyD do.
The sugar with the salt idea is yet another piece of internet propagated bolleaux.

Top Bottom