i have a coach

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BorderReiver

Veteran
Being familiar with the concept of "out the back and dropped" first hand, I don't really see how it would be dangerous. Demoralising definitely- especially if you have paid for a coach and then not got the miles in!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
He doesn't.
He's averaged approximately 33 miles a week so far this year.;)
I do more than that social riding for bacon sandwiches and cake. I'm Mid 40s no aspirations to race at all and still fit in a game of hockey and hockey training during the winter.
I suspect your coach will say ride more....

S-Express

All these people saying stuff like "I do more miles than that, etc" haven't really grasped the concept of training. It doesn't matter if you ride double or treble the distances that jamma is riding. What matters is how you use the time you have available. Someone who rides 200 miles a week to work and back is still going to get dropped in a race by someone who rides half that distance, but has a better threshold and VO2max.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
All these people saying stuff like "I do more miles than that, etc" haven't really grasped the concept of training. It doesn't matter if you ride double or treble the distances that jamma is riding. What matters is how you use the time you have available. Someone who rides 200 miles a week to work and back is still going to get dropped in a race by someone who rides half that distance, but has a better threshold and VO2max.

There's some truth to this. If the OP had say, 3 hours a week max to train and that time was used wisely, it would probably be enough to drop someone who just rides around everyday clocking up hundreds of miles a week - but only on distances up to 10 miles!

S-Express

Yeah, but we aren't talking half the distance but 1/6. Diminishing returns are one thing but there is a minimum threshold for even maintaining basic fitness .

The point I'm making is that it is irrelevant how many more miles others ride in comparison.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Even looking at Strava's very approximate fitness and freshness thing will tell you that under 5 hours a week on the bike has you going backwards. It takes me to do a pretty hard 1 hour ride per day minimum to keep it level once I'm half-way fit. Much more than that to get to that level and beyond.

A 500 mile base certainly makes more sense, rather than 500 per week(!) I haven't read it all, but there seems to be some fairly sensible info in that link.

If I read the link correctly, this 500 mile base is on a 10 hour per week basis, which means that's probably around 3 weeks' riding...

A Jamma bashing thread. Amazing how many people want to get involved, again and again and again.

Many years ago I remember reading the training schedule of an aspiring olympic cyclist who was pretty much full time in Uni and working to support himself as well. Most days he trained an hour a day, weekends more and stuck in a longer cycle of training when holidays permitted. He did pretty well if I recall, of course he had the physiology but the training talk was of intensity and time.

It's Jamma's life, his money and his time. If he's doing it wrong he'll soon find out, I'm not really sure why everyone is so worked up about it.

JoshM

Do you think there's a reason why people keep saying the same thing when you post these threads @jamma? Could it possibly be that the advice is right yet you seem unable or unwilling to take it? It gives people the impression that what you want is a magic fix all that wil turn you in to a decent rider without having to work at it. Tools, like your expensive bike, and a coach will help, but you're the engine, and like a car if the engine isn't primed then no matter how nice the bodywork the car won't be fast.

Want some help fitting in your training into your daily schedule? Ask. Post your week and ask for help spotting training opportunities. Need a nudge out the door on a wet cold night - post. Someone will help. But people will, and are, getting a little peed off with you posting about your latest magic trick while you ignore them. You can't blame them for that, surely?

S-Express

. But people will, and are, getting a little peed off with you posting about your latest magic trick while you ignore them.

To be clear, I'm not getting peed off at all. Quite happy for jamma to ask the same questions 100 times and I will give him the same answer each time - although to be fair, I may just link him to previous answers, after the first 50. It's only the internet.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
What's the significance of 10 miles?

On so few hours a week it's likely that your performance might drop off more over longer distances relative to someone who's used to a higher mileage.
Try riding at a given speed and use a hrm to see when it starts to become harder for you to maintain that pace, ie. your heart rate starts to increase as you're having to put in more effort. On fewer hours, that drop off point would probably occur a lot sooner.

S-Express

On so few hours a week it's likely that your performance might drop off more over longer distances relative to someone who's used to a higher mileage.
Try riding at a given speed and use a hrm to see when it starts to become harder for you to maintain that pace, ie. your heart rate starts to increase as you're having to put in more effort. On fewer hours, that drop off point would probably occur a lot sooner.

We're getting into the realms of theory here, but even if you only trained for three hours per week that could mean a 90min tempo ride, a 2x20 and a tabata session. That could easily be enough to get you around a 1hr 4th cat crit (most are usually less than that) without disgracing yourself. So I don't see that his performance would drop off prematurely and would certainly be enough for an hour's worth of racing once or twice a week.

Top Bottom