i have a coach

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Here's the link http://www.cptips.com/trnoptn.htm
Sorry I misread the 500 miles thing I think he means in total rather than per week :B)
Incidentally I am not offering this up as the way to go I only meant it as contrast to Jamma's 50 but that doesn't work now anyway.
But there is a definable contrast between Jamma's 1h 21m riding a week and the 10 hours a week the author of the article seems to be recommending .
It would appear that our aspiring racer needs to up his workload by a factor of approximately 7 times, or more, in order to achieve his aims.
Can't see that happening.:becool:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
You can over train my coach has cut me back a fair bit I was doing over 200miles in a week but I still do a lot more than 50, I think this week I've done 190 road miles. Hope it works out for Jamma, I dare say the first thing the coach will do is up the mileage and/or add HIT turbo training.

You're quite right. The 200 mile figure was a complete guess from me as I've never had a structured training plan. Funny you should mention HIT turbo training. I rode back from Cheshire a few months back with a local Raleigh pro. He told me that his road riding was just for fun, the real training was on the turbo

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
But there is a definable contrast between Jamma's 1h 21m riding a week and the 10 hours a week the author of the article seems to be recommending .
It would appear that our aspiring racer needs to up his workload by a factor of approximately 7 times, or more, in order to achieve his aims.
Can't see that happening.:becool:
Well not until he runs out of excuses

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Funny you should mention HIT turbo training. I rode back from Cheshire a few months back with a local Raleigh pro. He told me that his road riding was just for fun, the real training was on the turbo

Pretty similar to a conversation with Hoppo (Chris Hopkinson) a year or so ago - he did 2 hours a day training on the turbo to do TT's/long distance racing. Actual riding was rare apparently.

Slick

Guru
Congratulations on your decision to try and get to the next step. I'm not sure what went on before, but I would certainly be interested in hearing in what changes he makes to your training and what results you see.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sorry for not following all of your previous posts on the subject, @jamma, and I am not trying to be funny, but ... why is it that you only do 50 miles a week?

If you don't have time to do more, how will you have time to race?

If you don't want to do more, do you actually enjoy cycling?

If your body won't take doing more, why not - do you have health issues?

I am confused!!! (Everybody is saying the same thing, and it is obvious - do more cycling! I am nowhere near fit enough to race, but even I do 80+ very hilly miles a week.)

vickster

Legendary Member
Time management is not something many people find easy.
I think it's easier when you're young, single and presumably living at home with someone else cooking, cleaning, washing...I am assuming jamma still lives at hotel M&D and works locally. That may not be the case of course :smile: although I recall him mentioning shed use or building a bike store being vetoed by the folks or similar

screenman

Legendary Member
I think it's easier when you're young, single and presumably living at home with someone else cooking, cleaning, washing...I am assuming jamma still lives at hotel M&D and works locally. That may not be the case of course :smile: although I recall him mentioning shed use or building a bike store being vetoed by the folks or similar

If you want a job doing then give it too a busy man is an old saying.

I would suggest that many people who do very little get very little done.

Both sayings my dad gave to me 50 years ago.

ayceejay

Guru
I told this story in this same connection on a Jamma thread before but...
I used to frequent Tony Mills shop on Box Hill (Dauphin Sports)in the 80's, Sean Yates would pop in. Sean worked in landscaping around East Grinstead. Sean would get on his bike as soon as he got home, when it was raining and landscaping was not on he would ride his bike instead.
The word passion comes to mind.

Turning on the wayback machine
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I emailed a coach last night and he has given me this plan and i will do it and stick to it

Monday 30 mins . Heart rate 120-140bpm Warm up 5 mins at 90rpm 5 mins at 100rpm session 15 mins Change rpm every minute. Concentrate on keep your bum firmly on the saddle and sweeping back with you legs 1 min at 110 rpm 1 min at 100 rpm 5 mins cool down at 90 rpm 5 mins abs 40 seconds on 20 seconds off legs slightly bent Back part from the floor and goes up to the knees

Tuesday Standing start sprint • on road if possible 20/25 mins warm up HR 120-140bpm, 100rpm 5 sprints at 250 meters 10 mins spinning legs 2 sprints at 500 meters 10 mins spinning legs 1 sprint at 1km 20/25 min cool down HR 120-140, 100rpm • Try and record power output one each sprint

Wednesday 3 hours HR 130-150 100rpm

Thursday TT efforts • on road if possible 20 mins warm up HR 120-140, 100rpm 20 mins TT effort • 15 min HR 170-180, 100rpm • 5 mins HR 180+, 100 rpm 20 mins spin HR 120-140, 100rpm 20 mins TT effort • 15 mins HR 170-180. 100rpm • 5 mins 180+,100rpm 20 mins cool down HR 120-140, 90-100 pm Record power output on TT efforts Repeat ab workout

Friday Rest day

Saturday 3 hours HR 130-150 100rpm

Sunday 3 hours HR 130-150 100rpm

I'm not an athlete, but have late in life seen what may be required.
  1. Natural anatomy - ratio of body and leg length; fast/slow twitch fibres etc etc
  2. Love of the sport - getting out there and doing for the sake of it.
  3. Bastard determination - that pushing through barriers just because they are in your way
IMHO, the last is the most important. If you don't have the grit (and most don't, I don't for example) to push harder than the 7 billion other competitors, then you are not going to make it.

But @jamma doesn't seem to have any of them. If he loved riding his bike, he'd be out there every moment of the day.

If you love cycling, then revel in that for a few months, then check your averages. If you don't ... then find a sport or hobby that you do.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@jamma - people are commenting because they're frustrated that you don't appear to be taking their advice.

50 miles a week isn't enough. My biggest concern here is that you'll be in a large race, be far too slow and simply be a danger to others.

Posting here that you're not riding is evidence that there's not the commitment I'm afraid - I'd be borrowing a bike at a minimum and having the spare to train on.

I won't comment more because I won't see your future threads. Enjoy riding but at the moment don't waste your money on a coach.

S-Express

My biggest concern here is that you'll be in a large race, be far too slow and simply be a danger to others.
In which case he'll just be out the back and dropped, I don't see the danger. There's a huge variation in standard at 4th cat, so riders going backwards when the pace picks up will not be unusual.

Top Bottom