I`m giving the commuting up :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

As of today, my patience is finished. I`ve been plagued with back trouble, misty/vile weather every morning and afternoon, and the last straw today - gone to collect my bike after work to find the front tyre flat, for the 4th time in 3 weeks. The whole thing has become a chore lately, and now after this, no more. Just weekend cycling for me from now on.

ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrf:evil::evil::evil::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

andyfraser

Über Member
I know what you mean. For me it's the weather and motorists.

After 7 or 8 months of poor to terrible weather I was getting fed up but looking forward to summer. The weather's still crap. I don't remember previous years being this bad but maybe that's selective memory.

If I could get to work on only cycle paths I would do it even though that would probably take longer. I'm sick of doing everything I can to stay safe only for some idiot to decide that they don't care whether I'm safe or not.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I agree totally. I couldn`t even be bothered to repair it tonight, I left and got the bus, the mood I`m in right now I don`t care if my bike rots!!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well i will not bemoan your choice , every one has their own circumstances and if ifs not for you then do what makes you happy.

I only say this because i am full off man flu and even doesed up i feel like cack , facing an 11 hour night shift so im wimping out tonight and taking the car the rest of the week as im off work next 2 weeks ( ourgate DIY hol ) and i don't want to spend half of it recovering from a cold made worse by my toasted immune system due to hours i have been putting in lately .

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
After 7 or 8 months of poor to terrible weather I was getting fed up but looking forward to summer. The weather's still crap. I don't remember previous years being this bad but maybe that's selective memory.
It's rubbish, I actually went back in the house and put a base layer on this morning, it's JULY!!!!!! :cold:

andyfraser

Über Member
It's rubbish, I actually went back in the house and put a base layer on this morning, it's JULY!!!!!! :cold:
We're lucky here because it doesn't get too cold but it's chilly enough in the mornings this week. It's the headwind that gets me though. Some sections I can barely get up any speed which leads to more close passes.

potsy

Rambler
I can relate to your issues speccy, nothing wrong with taking a break for a while, see how you feel in a couple of weeks.

I got into a habit of commuting pretty much every day a few years ago, since a change of job (or three) and a new shift pattern I'm lucky if I manage one commute in four these days.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
As of today, my patience is finished. I`ve been plagued with back trouble, misty/vile weather every morning and afternoon, and the last straw today - gone to collect my bike after work to find the front tyre flat, for the 4th time in 3 weeks. The whole thing has become a chore lately, and now after this, no more. Just weekend cycling for me from now on.

ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrf:evil::evil::evil::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Solutions offered.
1/ Buy a recumbent, bye bye bad back.:okay:
2/ Fit said machine with Marathon Plus tyres, bye bye punctures.:okay:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I can relate to how you feel speccy.

Last few months have been very windy. A long commute becomes a painful chore on some days.

I change my route and ride different bikes to keep me motivated. Also, slow down. Riding flatout everyday is a short cut to burning out.

U

User19783

I can relate to your issues speccy, nothing wrong with taking a break for a while, see how you feel in a couple of weeks.

I got into a habit of commuting pretty much every day a few years ago, since a change of job (or three) and a new shift pattern I'm lucky if I manage one commute in four these days.

I am same,
Rather take the motorcycle.

Top Bottom