I`m giving the commuting up :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Weather's been a bit dull but wasn't that cold... maybe we are just a bit tougher up north ;)

Hooray.. you win the first Goodwins Law for Norverners award... :okay:

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I`m going to the gym in the early mornings so hardly any traffic around when I leave home luckily, and getting a 4/5 mile walk in the evenings, so still getting my exercise fix during the week:okay:.

Will have a break and just keep the cycling for the weekends so it stays enjoyable, can go back to the 80/100 mile rides I use to do, taking in Dartmoor and having as many guilt free cafe stops as I can cram in!

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Unless you commute 'off peak' then driving is actually quite enjoyable :whistle:
This would be me. Driving to and from work is a breeze at the times I travel. Best thing about commuting by bike is the £££ I save on fuel and maintaining a good level of fitness. It'll be different story when the clocks go back... ;)

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Let's try and motivate this potential quitter.:bravo:

I started commuting as I was approaching the age of 40, and found that I just wasn't getting enough exercise. Two kids meant that time was tight. Cycling to work costs me an extra 20 mins over the motorbike or car in the morning (40 mins ride). In the evening, the car would take 40 mins, but I can cycle it in around 35. Therefore I 'lose' 20 mins family time in the morning, when the kids are in bed anyway, and gain 5 mins in the evening. I get more exercise than going to the gym, and it costs me nowt.

I save a fortune, around £3000 a year.......enough to keep me in bikes.

I'm fitter at 43 than I was at 23.

I get to filter through heavy traffic every evening with a manic grin on my face......I love it when tha A1 is closed and Doncaster to grinds to a complete standstill.

Popping into the tc shops takes minutes, and it's free.

I don't mind getting wet, especially at this time of year when I somtimes find it quite refreshing. Not too bothered in the Winter either as I've invested in all the right gear.

I have a variety of machines, which I find important as I can switch if I start getting bored.

Without trying to toot my own horn, I am incredibly fit (at cycling anyway) and it takes almost no effort to cycle the 24 miles round trip every day......even if a feel a bit 'off it' I still find myself arriving at work almost as if by magic. This level took the best part of a year to achieve.

However, I have the perfect commute. A bit of heavy traffic mixed with some country roads. A good distance so I get a good work out without it becoming a chore, and long enough to give a great financial incentive. My own sheltered and secure parking place. Place to store my kit.

BUT, I know I'm very lucky, and most people don't have the perfect commute, so I can fully understand why not everyone can do it every day.

cd365

Guru
I have found this week hard for some reason. Probably the wind and the chill that it is bringing. The cycle home last night was hard since it was into a strong headwind. I have work a long sleeved cycling jersey this week! My fingers are freezing in the morning, my own fault for sticking with thing fingerless gloves. I did wonder why I am cycling.
I have a weekend in Benidorm starting tomorrow (a stag do), I'm hoping that will help recharge my batteries and the weather will take a turn for the better and the wind calms down a bit.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Let's try and motivate this potential quitter.

Thanks BP:okay:
I started commuting as I was approaching the age of 40, and found that I just wasn't getting enough exercise. Two kids meant that time was tight. Cycling to work costs me an extra 20 mins over the motorbike or car in the morning (40 mins ride). In the evening, the car would take 40 mins, but I can cycle it in around 35. Therefore I 'lose' 20 mins family time in the morning, when the kids are in bed anyway, and gain 5 mins in the evening. I get more exercise than going to the gym, and it costs me nowt.

I save a fortune, around £3000 a year.......enough to keep me in bikes.

I'm fitter at 43 than I was at 23.

I get to filter through heavy traffic every evening with a manic grin on my face......I love it when tha A1 is closed and Doncaster to grinds to a complete standstill.

Popping into the tc shops takes minutes, and it's free.

I don't mind getting wet, especially at this time of year when I somtimes find it quite refreshing. Not too bothered in the Winter either as I've invested in all the right gear.

I have a variety of machines, which I find important as I can switch if I start getting bored.

Without trying to toot my own horn, I am incredibly fit (at cycling anyway) and it takes almost no effort to cycle the 24 miles round trip every day......even if a feel a bit 'off it' I still find myself arriving at work almost as if by magic. This level took the best part of a year to achieve.

However, I have the perfect commute. A bit of heavy traffic mixed with some country roads. A good distance so I get a good work out without it becoming a chore, and long enough to give a great financial incentive. My own sheltered and secure parking place. Place to store my kit.

BUT, I know I'm very lucky, and most people don't have the perfect commute, so I can fully understand why not everyone can do it every day.

Top Bottom