I`m giving the commuting up :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Karlt

Let's try and motivate this potential quitter.:bravo:

I started commuting as I was approaching the age of 40, and found that I just wasn't getting enough exercise. Two kids meant that time was tight. Cycling to work costs me an extra 20 mins over the motorbike or car in the morning (40 mins ride). In the evening, the car would take 40 mins, but I can cycle it in around 35. Therefore I 'lose' 20 mins family time in the morning, when the kids are in bed anyway, and gain 5 mins in the evening. I get more exercise than going to the gym, and it costs me nowt.

I save a fortune, around £3000 a year.......enough to keep me in bikes.

I'm fitter at 43 than I was at 23.

I get to filter through heavy traffic every evening with a manic grin on my face......I love it when tha A1 is closed and Doncaster to grinds to a complete standstill.

Popping into the tc shops takes minutes, and it's free.

I don't mind getting wet, especially at this time of year when I somtimes find it quite refreshing. Not too bothered in the Winter either as I've invested in all the right gear.

I have a variety of machines, which I find important as I can switch if I start getting bored.

Without trying to toot my own horn, I am incredibly fit (at cycling anyway) and it takes almost no effort to cycle the 24 miles round trip every day......even if a feel a bit 'off it' I still find myself arriving at work almost as if by magic. This level took the best part of a year to achieve.

However, I have the perfect commute. A bit of heavy traffic mixed with some country roads. A good distance so I get a good work out without it becoming a chore, and long enough to give a great financial incentive. My own sheltered and secure parking place. Place to store my kit.

BUT, I know I'm very lucky, and most people don't have the perfect commute, so I can fully understand why not everyone can do it every day.
And you're out in Doncaster where it's flat as a pancake. Try it from Chesterfield to Sheffield ;)

As of today, my patience is finished. I`ve been plagued with back trouble, misty/vile weather every morning and afternoon, and the last straw today - gone to collect my bike after work to find the front tyre flat, for the 4th time in 3 weeks. The whole thing has become a chore lately, and now after this, no more. Just weekend cycling for me from now on.

ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrf:evil::evil::evil::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Can't do much about the weather, might be able to do something about the punctures (assuming it isn't somebody messing about with your tyres), but I reckon you can do something about the back.

My back is dreadful but I've been getting more and more upright on my bikes and comfort is exponentially better. My favourite bike now is an old fashioned gents town bike with "north road" bars - makes the commute effortless.

Top Bottom