I still bounce...............

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
yes at the tender age of 58years I can confirm I still bounce upon impact with the tarmac.
This evening I chose to have a quick blast out to Brighouse on my boardman, no problem.
got to Brighouse and had the brilliant idea of having an equally quick blast along the canal towpath back home, all went well and other than the odd few cyclists the towpath was very quiet. I was travelling along at a fair old rate when I came across a section of the towpath that is in the final stages of repair after the floods on boxing day last year, the area has been filled in with compacted hardcore which stops a couple of inches short of the undamaged towpath, I was fast approaching the edge of the tarmac and thought "no problem I will just give the front wheel a bit of a lift to clear the edge.........................wrong!!! I misjudged it and hit the edge of the tarmac hard.
I must have looked ridiculous flying over the handlebars and landing somewhat ungracefully on the tarmac with the bike then landing on top of me. I have sustained one grazed elbow and bruising to the heel of my right hand, other than that no damage done. A nice young couple on mtb's stopped to make sure I was ok but other than the grazing and a dented ego all was well, I checked my front wheel for true then carried on my way.:bicycle:
Now I know some of the cc massive will be very concerned so I will put your minds at rest.........................................................the bike is ok, a tiny scuff on the left shifter and a little scuff on the pedal so no need to worry about that one guys :tongue::rolleyes:
I am now sitting comfortably with a cold beer, not bad when you consider I set off at 7pm , rode to brighouse, rode back , took a dive then got home had a shower and am now sat having a beer all in under an hour :laugh:

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
yes at the tender age of 58years I can confirm I still bounce upon impact with the tarmac.
This evening I chose to have a quick blast out to Brighouse on my boardman, no problem.
got to Brighouse and had the brilliant idea of having an equally quick blast along the canal towpath back home, all went well and other than the odd few cyclists the towpath was very quiet. I was travelling along at a fair old rate when I came across a section of the towpath that is in the final stages of repair after the floods on boxing day last year, the area has been filled in with compacted hardcore which stops a couple of inches short of the undamaged towpath, I was fast approaching the edge of the tarmac and thought "no problem I will just give the front wheel a bit of a lift to clear the edge.........................wrong!!! I misjudged it and hit the edge of the tarmac hard.
I must have looked like a p1ssed up seagull flying over the handlebars and landing somewhat ungracefully on the tarmac with the bike then landing on top of me. I have sustained one grazed elbow and bruising to the heel of my right hand, other than that no damage done. A nice young couple on mtb's stopped to make sure I was ok but other than the grazing and a dented ego all was well, I checked my front wheel for true then carried on my way.:bicycle:
Now I know some of the cc massive will be very concerned so I will put your minds at rest.........................................................the bike is ok, a tiny scuff on the left shifter and a little scuff on the pedal so no need to worry about that one guys :tongue::rolleyes:
I am now sitting comfortably with a cold beer, not bad when you consider I set off at 7pm , rode to brighouse, rode back , took a dive then got home had a shower and am now sat having a beer all in under an hour :laugh:
Ouch, hope you're ok.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Whoops, my wife went charging round a berm on a MTB pump track last week, without me being able to say where to go, and she hit the loose gravel at the bottom on a hybrid. Bang, down she went. Massive bruise on her thigh and possibly a cracked rib. She did carry on !!! Her leg is a right state.

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Sounds a bit familiar :blush:

Make sure the grazed elbow is clean

It is, only took surface skin off , no bleeding, more of a scuff than a graze.

Shaun

Founder
I shouldn't, but having done similar myself, am going to throw in a :giggle: first followed quickly by a "Ouch! Glad to see you're okay and no major damage!" ;)

I admit to being a bit miffed about scratching my bike at the time though, but have learned to live with it and now remind myself how lightly I got off.

Last edited:

Shaun

Founder
Thanks, my first "off" in over twenty years as well.
Well in that case don't forget to make the tale much bigger when you tell the family; throw in a few rabid dogs chasing you, a juggling clown to swerve around, and a runaway truck loaded with big concrete drain pipes. Hopefully they'll be so pleased you got back alive they'll pamper you for at least a few days ... :laugh:

Top Bottom