If you could move anywhere in UK where would you move too?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kynikos

Veteran
Moved from Yorkshire to Sussex three years and absolutely love. I ride my bike much more simply because the weather is so much better.

As most people will be aware life expectancy is higher down here. I work in cardiology and used to assume it was due to healthcare provision but now I live here I realise people exercise much much more than in the north.

You still might like to compare health spend per head of population between, say Leeds, and Sussex. The difference is obscene...

Slick

Guru
Oxford; or failing that another of the old, civilsed uni cities like Bath or Bristol.

I also like the idea of living some where remote / a lot more rural like the lake district or north Wales, however realistically I need everything on the doorstep for me to interact (people included) and the more rural the less viable the bike is going to become as a main means of transport.

Globally, I'd move to Utrecht in the Netherlands in a heartbeat if I could.

Utrecht is certainly amazing, I can't wait to get back over there. :thumbsup:

Oxford; or failing that another of the old, civilsed uni cities like Bath or Bristol.

I also like the idea of living some where remote / a lot more rural like the lake district or north Wales, however realistically I need everything on the doorstep for me to interact (people included) and the more rural the less viable the bike is going to become as a main means of transport.

Globally, I'd move to Utrecht in the Netherlands in a heartbeat if I could.

I remember cycling through Utrecht with the Bakfiets on the day I bought it. Dark, in near horizontal pishing rain, being guided through the centre by a complete stranger in an absolute swarm of bicycles. From what I saw of it, it was a lovely place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
Re the weather in North Yorkshire it's variable across the county which does extend from the east coast to c. 8 miles from the west coast. Skipton has the least reliable weather forecast for anywhere on in the country. To the east of the Pennine chain with what is supposed to be the prevailing wind direction, a westerly, is the drier area then you have the raised North York Moors / Yorkshire Wolds. As such the eastern side of the Vale of Mowbray/York can take a battering from clouds which have earlier soaked Skipton and the western side of the Pennine chain and then floated east harmlessly for some distance despite how threatening they may look.
The eastern side of the county suffers from weather swept in from North Sea, quite noticeable with the current easterly and low cloud typical along the coast spread inland.

Skipton has a valley running from Colne up too it that channels clouds to it then they are stopped by the hills beyond.

OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
You still might like to compare health spend per head of population between, say Leeds, and Sussex. The difference is obscene...

Much more in Sussex?

I don't know why this is the case unless it's to reduce health inequalities?

Haven't you got private medical insurance?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
To be honest I'd stay where I am in London.

There are lots of beautiful places that I love visiting. I'm not knocking them. With more time and money I'd spend a lot more time visiting them. But I also like coming home. I like being able to walk 5 mins to my local minimarket. I'm happy where I am.

Wasn't keen on London myself but each to their own.

My lovely S-I-L who died aged 60 seven years ago tomorrow could not countenance a move out of London. She loved the bars, restaurants, nightlife and general buzz of the place.

Worth a few million easily she could have had a fantastic life, according to our preferences, in a country location but for hers, she would not have been happy.

It's a good job we aren't all the same!

Top Bottom