If you could move anywhere in UK where would you move too?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Yorkshire second?????

There is a brave man!!!!!

Exactly, there's no way that it should be that high up the rankings. 😂

gavgav

Legendary Member
If the time in my life was right, then the Lake District. But it has to be the right time, as I’d miss my home town too much in the current life situation and I don’t think moving for an equally stressful job as I have now would do me any good and I’d probably end up hating the place I love as a holiday destination.

One day…

OldShep

Über Member
If the time in my life was right, then the Lake District. But it has to be the right time, as I’d miss my home town too much in the current life situation and I don’t think moving for an equally stressful job as I have now would do me any good and I’d probably end up hating the place I love as a holiday destination.

One day…

If you lived there where would you go on holiday? 😀
I turned down a job in the LD about 40 year ago. Never regretted it I think it must be murder dealing with all those tourists and associated traffic.

Hicky

Guru
I’m fine where I am, I’d just like a couple of things to be improved generally. Littering, leaving shite outside for the scrappy and kids being even slightly more respectful.

Places I’ve visited over the past few yrs…I was surprised Swansea was as nice as it was, Southport/Formby….to name a few.
Harrogate was become a dump since I was there last 10+ yrs ago.

I like the idea of moving to Tod or Hebden but it’s too far away from a motorway.

gavgav

Legendary Member
I turned down a job in the LD about 40 year ago. Never regretted it I think it must be murder dealing with all those tourists and associated traffic.

Yes, agree, I think it’s human nature to always want to explore elsewhere.

Hicky

Guru
It is only 14.5 km (9 miles) from here to J21 of the M62.

It’s 9 miles from where I am now to central Mcr and 1/2 a mile to the M62. While I have kids and probably within 5-10 yrs grandkids….the extra 9 would be a grind, pity as I like the place.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
It is only 14.5 km (9 miles) from here to J21 of the M62.

But that 9 miles can quite easily take 40 minutes. But yeah Hebden is lovely.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

The traffic is fine here most of the year round. Only really gets clogged up at bank holiday times and that's usually only the central lakes area.

We live to the north of Kendal and it is very easy to get around year round - apart from Kendal these last few days when roadworks at a main junction are screwing up things. :cursing:

It took me a few years to wrangle a move here (worked for a Blue Chip company who financed the move too) back in the late 90's and have never regretted it.

Lovely scenery, friendly people in the main, slower pace of life and I have this view from where I sit right now:

20230614_074929.jpg

OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
I’m fine where I am, I’d just like a couple of things to be improved generally. Littering, leaving shite outside for the scrappy and kids being even slightly more respectful.

Places I’ve visited over the past few yrs…I was surprised Swansea was as nice as it was, Southport/Formby….to name a few.
Harrogate was become a dump since I was there last 10+ yrs ago.

I like the idea of moving to Tod or Hebden but it’s too far away from a motorway.

Don't move to hippy Hebden then, all shorts of shoot motors are left on the road... I love the place, stuff what everyone else thinks...but the tarmac is awful esp from heptonstall turn to the town centre.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Has anyone regretted where they moved to and moved back later on?

As a healthy mid-40s person I like the idea of moving to the green belt north or east of the Bradford/Leeds urban area but wonder how I’d fare if I was older and less mobile. I imagine loneliness and the need for medical care would be key factors.

Slick

Guru

As a healthy mid-40s person I like the idea of moving to the green belt north or east of the Bradford/Leeds urban area but wonder how I’d fare if I was older and less mobile. I imagine loneliness and the need for medical care would be key factors.

I haven't, but Mrs Slick has, and to be fair to her, she gave it her best shot by hanging it out for 5 years before insisting we moved again. It was worth it though, as we are now in the perfect spot and she loves it.

My advice to you would be, at mid 40, you are a bit young to be concerned about losing mobility, and if it doesn't work out, you wouldn't be the first to move back home. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.

OldShep

Über Member

Since aged 8 I’ve been rural, remote, all my life. Came with the job. I’m used to it and can’t comprehend living within a dense population.
Lost count of the number of people I’ve met moved to the countryside and are no longer here. I think you list the main reasons people move back. A common factor is when one of a couple dies and the survivor is left alone away from family who they now seem to need.
This thread highlights everything is relative to what you are used to.

Top Bottom