If you could move anywhere in UK where would you move too?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
Don't move to hippy Hebden then, all shorts of shoot motors are left on the road... I love the place, stuff what everyone else thinks...but the tarmac is awful esp from heptonstall turn to the town centre.

Yep every time I pass through Tod I convince myself they must of picked up the wrong grade of chippings for the tarmac….it’s awful!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Has anyone regretted where they moved to and moved back later on?

As a healthy mid-40s person I like the idea of moving to the green belt north or east of the Bradford/Leeds urban area but wonder how I’d fare if I was older and less mobile. I imagine loneliness and the need for medical care would be key factors.

What I like about where I am is the fact that all the day to day services I might need are within walking distance - shops, doctors, restaurants, takeaways, supermarkets. Including a choice of four railway stations in case I need to go further.

Some friends live out in the countryside, and when we've dog-sat there it's lovely to visit ... Until you need something and you have to get in the car. No buses. No trains. No local shops. But very pretty. So I'll continue to visit the pretty places, then go back home where I belong.

Drago

Legendary Member
The countryside is good. Less noise, less litter, less townies with bad manners that make me want to deploy four stiff fingers to the throat, less traffic, and the supermarkets deliver.

The bit of countryside in which I live is quite pleasant. However, I moved here out of necessity - when Mrs D #2 and I got together we were still in two different forces so picked a spot roughly midway betwixt the two - and while it is jolly pleasant I have failed to grow any attachment to the area. I can't fault it, but it simply doesn't tug my rug, so when she quits work it'll be a different bit of countryside for us.

Just discovered this thread. I’m a keen viewer of Escape to the Country and love hearing about people’s escapes. My wife and I holiday in Speyside several times a year and constantly dream about a life up there. But we’ve never been able to fully convince ourselves about the rural lifestyle. Plan B would be Inverness. It might happen one day.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
But that 9 miles can quite easily take 40 minutes. But yeah Hebden is lovely.

Its totally geared up for tourists and exceptionally overpriced. Stuffed with middle class bells thinking they're going to Woodstock. I think its had its day. Locals are priced out by gentrification. There's no proper supermarket only a small Coop and who can afford to do a family shop there? Out of the two Todmorden is less pretentious and silly. Over 25 years ago I nearly bought a house next to the canal in HB, it was just short of 30K but it was too far for work. I'm glad I didn't now as I just cant be bothered with the place and it stinks of weed.

presta

Guru
Has anyone regretted where they moved to and moved back later on?
My mum, that's how I grew up in Essex instead of Leeds where I was born.
As a healthy mid-40s person I like the idea of moving to the green belt north or east of the Bradford/Leeds urban area but wonder how I’d fare if I was older and less mobile. I imagine loneliness and the need for medical care would be key factors.
When I was tempted to move back north I was struggling to satisfy conflicting requirements:
Ground floor but not leasehold.
Bungalow but not on the outskirts.
City centre but not a flood zone.
Access to amenities but not dependent on public transport that might get closed down.

I recall seeing someone saying that York's a difficult place to live because you can't buy anything you need when the city centre's been taken over by tourist shops selling gewgaws.

My parents live in York and it does feel a bit like a film set. The bus into the city goes through normal neighbourhoods then turns a corner and suddenly it's the centre and there's old buildings, museums and tourists everywhere. It's quite strange.

It still seems to function fairly normally as long as you don't go too close to the minster/castle et c.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
For a long time I fancied Dingwall as being a small town with good shopping and not too far from the facilities of Inverness with good public transport.
Now tho’ I think Benderloch just north of Oban is more realistic and near family since I am otherwise on my own. The town of Oban could be more realistic but not so good for triking with too insular population.
Mull where I currently live is getting overrun with touroid and settlers and food shopping and public transport is not too good.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I have low threshold, I'm happy where I am and generally given a little choice could be happy most places.
Nowadays facilities for the ageing and decent cycling opportunities are important.
That would put Belgium, Flanders way up the list.

Sounds like care home might be suitable, have you looked into that?

Chief Broom

Veteran
After rattling around the highlands like a pinball i ended up in Brora and really like it :okay: i would never go back down south. Perfection would be less uncaring NC500 tourist who litter/crap/befoul and do everything they can to make the locals life miserable...Apart from that its a beautiful place with great cycling options :okay:
I hardly ever get stressed about anything but unfortunately there are still other people around......:laugh:
DSCF6046.JPG

Top Bottom