If you could move anywhere in UK where would you move too?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
Je suis très content de chez moi dans un village de l'ouest du Dorset. D'autant plus que je fais semblant de ne pas parler anglais.

Oh, clever trick.

Telle blague

Inadorel

Regular
Highlands of Scotland.
West Highlands (Argyll) is where I live. Fantastic scenery. Miles of beautiful walking/cycling trails - I've walked 30 miles on a circular track straight out of the door of my house and only saw two people (both cyclists by the way!) all day. Wonderful wildlife (pine martens, badgers, deer, etc. etc. in our garden).
It is remote in that it is 7 miles down a single track road to get to the main road (the notorious A83 over the Rest and Be Thankful), and then about 45 minutes drive to the nearest small town, but not that remote as it is about 80 minutes to Glasgow. Property prices very cheap compared to most other places.
We moved here for all these reasons ten years ago and have never seriously regretted it (well not for long anyway).
But as far as other nice places I have lived in or know well - North Lake District is great (I would not call it remote either). Southwest Scotland is lovely too.

Inadorel

Regular
If I could live anywhere it would probably be in a remote village in Scotland or Wales - witha convenient Tesco - or similar
which is probably impossible as big supermarket companies like to have a sizeable population nearby so they can sell the stuff!

Anyway - would be happy to move back to Llandudno area - liked it there but had to move for work/partner(now wife) reasons
somewhere outside the main population area but within mobility scooter range of a supermarket so that I have a good chance of remaining independent for as long as possible - even when I can no longer drive or ride a bike!

Won't as I need to stay round here due to grand-kids and wife's family - but the question was just about me

Most rural villages in our part of the Highlands have online delivery services now. Ten years ago when we moved here we had to stock up at Costco every few weeks - now we have ASDA and Morrisons who deliver. The van comes from Dumbarton about 40 miles away.

Tell me more!
Thinking about it especially if the divorce settlement isn't great.

There is a bloke that does a vlog thingy called "Cruising The Cut"
He isn't the most charismatic of people - rather pedantic and precise - but he does do thing pretty well

Je has done loads of videos - a lot of them detail how to do things
a few years ago he did one about how much it costs - given he pedantic nature I suspect he has every penny ina spreadsheet - and he used this to show exactly what it costs to run a narrowboat

might be useful - but Tom Cruise he ain't!!!

Venod

Eh up
I probably wouldn't move out of Yorkshire, The Hambilton Hills and Yorkshire Wolds would be a consideration, as would the villages between Harrogate and Ripon, and not forgetting Ilkley or Heptonstall.

Slick

Guru
Highlands of Scotland.
West Highlands (Argyll) is where I live. Fantastic scenery. Miles of beautiful walking/cycling trails - I've walked 30 miles on a circular track straight out of the door of my house and only saw two people (both cyclists by the way!) all day. Wonderful wildlife (pine martens, badgers, deer, etc. etc. in our garden).
It is remote in that it is 7 miles down a single track road to get to the main road (the notorious A83 over the Rest and Be Thankful), and then about 45 minutes drive to the nearest small town, but not that remote as it is about 80 minutes to Glasgow. Property prices very cheap compared to most other places.
We moved here for all these reasons ten years ago and have never seriously regretted it (well not for long anyway).
But as far as other nice places I have lived in or know well - North Lake District is great (I would not call it remote either). Southwest Scotland is lovely too.

Most rural villages in our part of the Highlands have online delivery services now. Ten years ago when we moved here we had to stock up at Costco every few weeks - now we have ASDA and Morrisons who deliver. The van comes from Dumbarton about 40 miles away.
80 miles from Glasgow had me thinking somewhere like Lochgilphead or Tarbert, but 40 miles from Dumbarton would be unlikely to get you much further than Inveraray? :huh:

Inadorel

Regular
80 miles from Glasgow had me thinking somewhere like Lochgilphead or Tarbert, but 40 miles from Dumbarton would be unlikely to get you much further than Inveraray? :huh:

80 minutes from Glasgow - 56 miles. But you are not far wrong with Inverary - I live in Lochgoilhead :smile: I don't really call Inverary a town though (I suppose technically it is but it doesn't have much in the way of real shops unless you want to buy a bottle of whisky or a wooly jumper). The nearest places for real shopping are Helensburgh or Dunoon.

Slick

Guru
80 minutes from Glasgow - 56 miles. But you are not far wrong with Inverary - I live in Lochgoilhead :smile: I don't really call Inverary a town though (I suppose technically it is but it doesn't have much in the way of real shops unless you want to buy a bottle of whisky or a wooly jumper). The nearest places for real shopping are Helensburgh or Dunoon.

Ah, forgot about the turn off. :okay:

Have you discovered Hells Glen yet, could be a nice trip out for a coffee on the rest. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom