If you could move anywhere in UK where would you move too?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, as many of you know its been all change for me.

We moved for many reasons, to be closer to Mini D's school (bus service likely to be pulled and ill be f****d if any child of mine will everbe driven in a car to school - to my mind that sets a terrible example and theyll carry that behaviour into adulthood), Mrs D's variable health, the desire for a bigger house, and me wanting a new house where I'm not constantly firefighting with having to repair/bodge bits that are constantly breaking or falling off.

So we ended up in a new house, a detached 4/5 bed townhouse down a private lane that serves 5 houses. It's a small development overall, perhaps too small to be described as an estate. Its what the developers optimistically call an executive development, all decent sized houses, all well spaced and not crammed in, no one overlooking anyone else, people not using the road as a car storage facility, and we front onto open countryside (I actually know the guy that owns the fields, he won't be selling while there's a breath left in his body.)

So for the first time ever I'm living in town (I did buy a flat in MK when I was in the army but was hardly ever there and sold it for almost double two years later when I left), albeit right out on a limb where things are quite chilled and spacious, yet the facilities are all an easy walk or cycle ride. Theres a bit of bustle, things feel more up tempo, but being retired I'm an observer rather than being swept along with it. I have to say I'm quite enjoying it.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Interesting how no-one has ambitions to move to a city.

Yes, it is interesting. The only city (that I can think of) to which I'd consider moving would be Chester.

Venod

Eh up
York is a city I would live, but there are not enough hills for my liking, Sheffield is great for hills and I would happily live in the Dore Totley area providing easy access to the Peak District.

OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
York is a city I would live, but there are not enough hills for my liking, Sheffield is great for hills and I would happily live in the Dore Totley area providing easy access to the Peak District.

Dales to the west, NYM to the east, wolds to the SE.

It's the tourists that would get to me.

As the op I may well move soon, either Haworth or Verwood Dorset for sad personal reasons.

MikeG

Guru
Interesting how no-one has ambitions to move to a city.

One of the interesting things about it is the contrast with the trends in Europe. Throughout southern Europe you find an exodus to the cities, with only old people left in villages. There are umpteen abandoned villages, and it's perfectly possible to buy an entire village if you so choose. Europeans aspire to living in cities, but Brits aspire to getting out. This is another reason why there are endless Brits buying up rural properties in France, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece, and so on.

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I am pretty happy in the middle of Bristol where I am now, as Bristol is a fantastic city to live in, primarily because there's a lot of culture, music, theatre etc, all walkable from our house, likewise (excellent) pubs and restaurants, but we can also walk out into the countryside quite easily and walk to a deer park in half an hour. It's also handy for caving in South Wales and for that matter getting a bus / train to London or anywhere else.

Oxford would also appeal to me for similar reasons albeit further from proper hills and caves.

Now I'm retired, Mrs PP is keen to move oop North in due course. I'm OK with that, particularly moving to the lake district, ideally Keswick. OK, less culture than the big city but has got cinema and theatre, and everything you need is walkable, and only a short drive / bus ride from the main North-South railway at Penrith. Better for hillwalking than Bristol, and I will likely take up canoeing or Swallows and Amazons type sailing if I was up there. I'll be missing South Wales caving but Yorkshire's caves are not so far, and Scotland walking is much nearer if I'm still fit enough for ice axy stuff. London and ferries to France are a long way off however. Penrith is perhaps plan B; nice enough town, and likely less busy than Keswick, albeit I prefer the latter. Granted not quite in the lakes proper, but the nice houses are a good bit cheaper and there's more of 'em in Penrith and it has a mainline railway station in the town

We'd toyed with Stirling in the Southern Highlands (or is it Northern Lowlands?). Quite a nice place with local medium level hill walking and much much nearer access to proper Scottish winter hills. Excellent rail links to Glasgow & Edinburgh for "culture" and what not. Cumbria is still the favourite choice though

More theoretically, I can also see an appeal in moving to Aberystwyth. A small town on the west wales coast, which, in part because it is fairly isolated and has a university with all that brings, is a far more lively and cultured place than would otherwise be the case. That said, whilst I have many happy memories from 40 years ago, returning to somewhere is not always a good thing.

I can even see some appeal in London, assuming the budget was sufficient for a modest flat in an OK part of central London; realistically that would need a million quid or more, and I don't think I'd really want to swap a four floor house in a nice part of Bristol plus some extra money on top for a 2 bed flat in Marelybone or whatever. A long way from any outsoorsy stuff though

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
Too many tourists and constant traffic jams these days. Somewhere like Pocklington, whilst still has traffic, would put you nearer the hills.

You are right about the tourist and traffic, we spend a lot of time in York and despite the above we still enjoy the city, Pocklington is nice little town.

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Edinburgh was on the list for us. I was born and brought up in Birmingham, but answering a job advert on a whim saw me moving to Poole in the late 70's. We love it here as we're in walking distance of a couple of SSSI's and excellent bus service. I said I'd never live in a city again, but Edinburgh would be the exception.

Gunk

Guru
We sort of are. Ripon is officially a city but more like a town to me. We moved out of Hull to a small village but the other half thinks it's too remote (but hated it when we lived in the city, you just can't win!!!)

We live in a city and love it, but get that it’s not for everyone

Top Bottom