Is it getting worse?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think mobile texting is increasing and we've yet to turn a corner where it becomes socially unacceptable. I don't know that it's become any worse, I think you get bad clusters and I've had a spell recently but generally I think we've at least reached the point round here when motorists expect to see cyclists, maybe not to the point where they are actively watching out for them.

mythste

Veteran
Only been commuting by bike for 5 years, and nearly all of that has been outside the rush hour so traffic is much lighter than some of you have to mix with.
I do find that these things seem to come in spells though, nothing out of the ordinary for weeks then 2 or 3 incidents on one commute, just part of being a cyclist on today's roads.

Cant think of a logical reason as to why this is true - but it seems to be the case!

I've gone almost 6 months incident free and I've had 4 in the last week, ranging from near catastrophic lane changes to some fat 30 something blonde literally barking at me whilst passing and finding it hilarious.

The mind boggles. The Miles boggle!

J1888

Über Member
I think mobile texting is increasing and we've yet to turn a corner where it becomes socially unacceptable. I don't know that it's become any worse, I think you get bad clusters and I've had a spell recently but generally I think we've at least reached the point round here when motorists expect to see cyclists, maybe not to the point where they are actively watching out for them.

It's prob because I'm now a cyclist but I've noticed so many people on the phones while I'm walking, on the bus etc - I'm surprised people still do it given that the police are supposed to be hot on catching it...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
It's prob because I'm now a cyclist but I've noticed so many people on the phones while I'm walking, on the bus etc - I'm surprised people still do it given that the police are supposed to be hot on catching it...
One cycling policeman that I chat to occasionally tweets about what he's done that day including taking people to court, I think we could do with more of that to make the public aware that some are caught and prosecuted.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm surprised people still do it given that the police are supposed to be hot on catching it...
:rofl: It's one of the #fatal4 (along with drunkenness, speeding and no seatbelts) and they do occasional crackdowns but if they stopped everyone doing it when they were just passing in an unmarked car, they'd never get anything else done. I can't remember the last trip into town during daylight when I didn't see a driver on a handheld phone (the cycleway I use into town is raised above the carriageway and on the "wrong" side, so I can see into lots of cars easily).

London I think bucks the trend. Cars are getting slower, cycle numbers are increasing. Drivers getting more used to cyclists and given up pushing past as there's no point.

Finally the cyclists' skill and attractiveness in London is leaving the rest of the uk far behind.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
London I think bucks the trend. Cars are getting slower, cycle numbers are increasing. Drivers getting more used to cyclists and given up pushing past as there's no point.

Finally the cyclists' skill and attractiveness in London is leaving the rest of the uk far behind.

In fact at some junctions and routes in London it's starting to reach critical mass with cyclists.
@Sittingduck & @gaz , who commute into Central London will tell you how many cyclists there can be on a daily commute.

Reactions: gaz

potsy

Rambler
In fact at some junctions and routes in London it's starting to reach critical mass with cyclists.
@Sittingduck & @gaz , who commute into Central London will tell you how many cyclists there can be on a daily commute.
I've started to get into the habit of doing a Strava Flyby of my commute once I've uploaded it, some days there are up to 4 other cyclist's that show up on there ^_^

400bhp

Guru
Hard to say whether it's getting better or worse because it depends on your own relative perception and how that changes over time, the route taken and how that differs over time plus how the traffic flow has differed.

On my commute to my current workplace which ive done over the last 2 years (actual route varies) my gut feel is that it has got better. I get poor overtakes now and then but relatively less agressive driving. But its all qualitative.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've started to get into the habit of doing a Strava Flyby of my commute once I've uploaded it, some days there are up to 4 other cyclist's that show up on there ^_^
4:eek: .... How far do you commute? To the end of the road? I think I normally get about 15 or 20 on Strava, just going off to check.

More like 10 to 15, and I generally pass (am passed) by 4 times that amount.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I had 2 on Monday 8am and 2 on Monday 7pm :smile:
We are in the sticks :laugh:

potsy

Rambler
4:eek: .... How far do you commute? To the end of the road? I think I normally get about 15 or 20 on Strava, just going off to check.

More like 10 to 15, and I generally pass (am passed) by 4 times that amount.
To be fair I am on the road at 5.30am :tired:
And because I don't reset the Garmin until after I get home it counts as one ride 'with a 12+ hour gap in the middle' which I have to fast forward through ^_^

Top Bottom