" Is it OK to get off your bike and walk up a hill?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3706610, member: 9609"]I get off and push on really steep stuff but if I hear or see anyone coming I stop and pretend i'm taking a picture [/QUOTE]
There are many variations on that theme, I prefer inspection of a rare roadside plant, checking that odd rattle which seems to be coming from the tail lamp or doing my civic duty and picking up a bit of litter, squashed can, etc..
The list is endless......or you could just be gracious in defeat and salute the youngster overtaking you and intent on pedalling to the summit:biggrin:.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Its when you need to walk down a hill that you know you have a problem. ;)
I did that a few years ago on the L2B ride, though admittedly I was on roller skates and didn't fancy descending through a crowd of cyclists with no brakes to speak of

This reminds me of an Arran outing some members of my Ladies group did a while back, I could not go as I was working, had not been at all then, but knew about the hills.
So a few months later I met some of the participants, asked how they got on, I was told:
"Well, we took the train to Ardrossan, then the ferry to Arran, then we started cycling. On seeing the first hill, we turned back and waited for the group in a coffee shop. All in all quite an expensive trip for coffee ..." :whistle: :laugh:

There are hills on Arran?! :whistle:

Hip Priest

Veteran
I feel bad if I have to walk up a hill. Been a while since I had to do it mind. Last time it was because the surface was slippy, so I had to put a foot down to avoid crashing, and then it was too steep to get clipped in.

ayceejay

Guru
So what is the deal then, you come across a hill you didn't know was there and you have to get off your bike and walk at a certain point because you can't get up it on your bike?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've walked up lots of hills. Sometimes I've subsequently ridden up them and felt a sense of personal achievement but that's as far as it goes. I just try and turn the pedals until I can't turn them any more, then I walk or rest for a minute and try again. Shame doesn't enter the picture. I'm doing it for me, not trying to prove something to anybody else.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Walking up climbs is ok if you think that it's ok, but that is a personal preference!

I prefer to ride up hills rather than walk up them, but I don't avoid steep hills that I know I can't manage. I have low gears on my bikes so I can get up even quite long stretches of 20% but 25+% is always going to be a bit tough.

In 2012 I took a forum ride up what was known as the 'Côte de Goose Eye' in this year's inaugural Tour de Yorkshire. That time I struggled and had to walk it but I did have a reasonable excuse - unbeknown to me at the time, my pulmonary artery was half clogged with blood clots! I got my revenge in the TdY sportive a couple of weeks ago - I rode up every climb including Goose Eye and did get a lot of satisfaction from that, especially since 90% of the riders around me were walking and the crowd were screaming at those of us still riding - 'Dig deep, lads!'. If I'd dug any deeper I would have been holidaying on a beach in Australia! :laugh:

Tin Pot

Guru
Only if you have cramped in both legs, cried out like a baby seal being clubbed to death, are still sobbing uncontrollably and yet walking through the pain and tears as though the hill really mattered.

Otherwise, its not acceptable.

Top Bottom