Job applications and search engines.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Are any of you in a position where you go through prospective job applicants? If so, do you 'google' the applicants' names to have a nosey at their facebook, twitter or other social media accounts? If so, do your findings determine whether or not a particular application goes in the bin or on the shortlist?

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
It is pretty common for prospective employers to check applicants Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Some will decide to bin an application depending on what they see.
Bit of a shi**y business if you ask me.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I had never even considered that employers might do that. Just another consequence of the information super highway that we all take for granted now I guess. Information technology has liberated us in many ways but the world has gone even further from 1984 than George Orwell could ever have imagined.

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I get lots of students applying for RIBA Part 1 and Part 2 work- some students have incredibly stupid Facebook profiles posted. Having a 26 and 23 year old I know not to judge people by what they post, but knowing that people will and do look at others' FB profiles, you'd think they'd tone it down a bit!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It would depend on tbe applicant. If I thought they were unsuitable, I may have taken a look more to confirm my initial thoughts of the applicant. Otherwise I wouldn't as I would preder to go by how the applicant presents himself/herself in the interview and to trust my own judgement rather than to take at face value what they're Facebook page may say. Youngsters tend to exaggerate things when talking to they're friends, and they probably wouldn't do or be like they portray on the fb page.

I would always go with my own instinct and judgement and it has served me well whenever I Interviewed people.

jnrmczip

Personally I think the employer should have enough experience to figure a prospective employee out at an interview as opposed to spying on them having said that when applying for jobs employees should make their profile private so they can't be snooped on.

montage

God Almighty
Change your name on FB etc, sorted

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I had never even considered that employers might do that. Just another consequence of the information super highway that we all take for granted now I guess. Information technology has liberated us in many ways but the world has gone even further from 1984 than George Orwell could ever have imagined.
30 years beyond and counting...:thumbsup:

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Change your name on FB etc, sorted
i don't do facebook, or twitter, although i do have a Google+ account and wondered if my blogging history would show up if i googled my name. What i did find was an entry on Cheaternet, where people log in and slander their ex. There's my name, my approximate age, my county and a list of negatives right there in the google and bing results... but it's not me. My surname is unusual though, so I'm just wondering if this could be a reason I'm not even being offered an interview for any of the jobs i apply for. :sad:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Everyone is entitled to let their hair down. So be silly on the web - but keep it within the select band. Strangers (such as employers) don't need to know about your being silly. Unless it's part of the job description

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
i don't do facebook, or twitter, although i do have a Google+ account and wondered if my blogging history would show up if i googled my name. What i did find was an entry on Cheaternet, where people log in and slander their ex. There's my name, my approximate age, my county and a list of negatives right there in the google and bing results... but it's not me. My surname is unusual though, so I'm just wondering if this could be a reason I'm not even being offered an interview for any of the jobs i apply for. :sad:
Case to be made to change your name?

classic33

Leg End Member
Just googled my name along with facebook & twitter and depending on which one you go for, I'm dead, in prison, no longer resident in this country or wanted by various law enforcement agencies worldwide.

I'm aware that there are at least five facebook accounts opened in my name. Told this by a relative who wondered why I never replied to him.

Top Bottom