Jonathon Tiernan Locke blood passport iffy? (ToB title for Haas?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It has a certain weary inevitability about it this but as Thom says, a race in Japan, end of season?

thom

____
From the road.cc report :

It’s worth noting that in the week prior to the Japan Cup, Rogers had been competing in the Tour of Beijing in China, where clenbuterol is regularly – and illegally – used to build muscle mass in livestock and poultry, provoking regular food safety scandals.

Ahead of the London 2012 Olympic Games, China even banned its athletes from eating meat due to fears that they could inadvertently ingest clenbuterol from contaminated food. China’s 2009 judo world champion Tong Wen was given a two-year ban in 2010 and stripped of her title when clenbuterol was found in her bloodstream.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
It has a certain weary inevitability about it this but as Thom says, a race in Japan, end of season?
If he is using the ToBeijing, clen-filled Chinese meat defence, then he must hope that some of the others at the race test +ve too.
The fact that everyone should know that their meat is dodgy and best avoided won't help him, nor will strict liability

tigger

Über Member
In Rodgers defence, if I understand it correctly, cyclists tend to use clenbuterol early season / in race preparation to shift weight and build muscle. During a competition at the end of th season is an odd time to test positive for it. So this could well be another contamination case, but is it from stored blood or dodgy meat?

..some of the others at the race test +ve too

You'd think that there would be others - I recall a couple of years ago at some football tournament in Mexico that over a hundred junior players tested positive for Clenbuterol due it being commonly used with livestock.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/jonathan-breyne-provisionally-suspended-over-clenbuterol

Jonathan Breyne with traces of Clenbuterol.

So two riders so far who've competed in China but as far as I'm aware, Clenbuterol doesn't stay in the system long, I thought I read 48hrs. So for Breyne, contaminated food is plausible, for Rodgers less so. Breyne is another rider who was looking to make an impression and move up. Blood bags to China and Japan though, does it add up?

raindog

er.....
Brian Smith still insisting JTL is straight
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...spite-UCIs-anti-doping-violation-process.aspx
"I don’t know. Jon could have had blood tests done, but it looks as if the irregularity in the blood test was after the Tour of Britain. I don’t know when, whether it was the week after, whether it was two months after. Sky are saying the test in question was before he became part of the team. If so, it has to be either in October, November or December that a blood test was taken with irregular values.
Consider if that blood test is showing irregular values. He already had his contract with Sky. He knew they are against doping. Why would he do something late on in the year? He already knew he had a contract.
This makes no sense. Looking at it with common sense, it doesn’t add up. That just confirms things for me."

Brian Smith still insisting JTL is straight
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...spite-UCIs-anti-doping-violation-process.aspx
"I don’t know. Jon could have had blood tests done, but it looks as if the irregularity in the blood test was after the Tour of Britain. I don’t know when, whether it was the week after, whether it was two months after. Sky are saying the test in question was before he became part of the team. If so, it has to be either in October, November or December that a blood test was taken with irregular values.
Consider if that blood test is showing irregular values. He already had his contract with Sky. He knew they are against doping. Why would he do something late on in the year? He already knew he had a contract.
This makes no sense. Looking at it with common sense, it doesn’t add up. That just confirms things for me."

He rode the Worlds in September, was he tested then. If he was doping, I'd imagine the worlds would be a target and a big step up for him. Not sure how much stock you can put in Brian Smith either.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
...as far as I'm aware, Clenbuterol doesn't stay in the system long, I thought I read 48hrs...
It was 48 hrs for Contador (positive in the two tests after the rest day), but he only had a tiny amount present. Dodgy steak can give you a high enough dose to go to hospital with Clenbuterol poisoning (which is why there's fairly thorough slaughterhouse testing in Europe, which scuppered Contador's dodgy steak excuse).
It could well have been dodgy steak, but as everyone was warned beforehand, I don't see that getting him off.

Top Bottom