Jonathon Tiernan Locke blood passport iffy? (ToB title for Haas?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Lockes biological passport discrepancies are not public so saying well he's had glandular fever and linking that to PED abuse (a tenuous link) is pretty weak speculation but was phrased strongly. Thats not to say its not an issue but not acknowledging the other side of the argument is ****. With less than a minutes worth of effort you can find a reasonable causal link between elite athletics and glandular fever but that takes effort and burning calories from the neck up.

Sure but that original article is about more sustained low cortisol levels which is not quite the same as the article you've linked to, which talked about lymphocyte cycles over much shorter periods, as you would expect. Clearly the low cortisol levels were on the unexpected scale.

However you're right, it's speculation at this point what the irregularities are and also right that it shouldn't have come out. Personally, the article I linked to gives me more faith in Tiernan-Locke than speculation on the irregularities

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Lets just wait and see what comes out before jumping to conclusions.

Lets hope there is a logical explanation and there is a satisfactory outcome and he is allowed to get on with his career.

If he has doped and it is proved, well he deserves to be hung out to dry.

lukesdad

This is largely wrong. Relatively few riders have had the finger of suspicion pointed at them and if you mean Horner, well, USADA have spent a fair bit of time and effort conducting out of competition tests on him, they must be reading the posts on here.
:laugh:

lukesdad

Being cynical with evidence (UCI are investigating) is different to 'well someone's won a competition and a foreigner' (like the Vuelta) so something must be wrong cynical. Sky's different training approach is well documented. The effect on Wiggins' results has been dramatic - he went backwards from 3rd in the TdF in 2009 to 23rd in his first year at Sky so its pretty reasonable to suspect a different regime might hit Locke too.

Until some facts come out about the discrepancies who knows what they are, how significant they are and whether the discrepancies would provide enhanced performances. It could be the one test from 2012 has less suspect figures than this year.

If he has cheated, its surprising none of the well informed experts on this forum detected it. The threshold for slinging mud with little factual evidence is pretty low.
Bollox ! Wiigins 2010 performances had nothing to do with the Sky training approach, he got his arse kicked for slacking.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
theres a lot of typing and polluting the space without at least having a bit of backing.

Welcome to the internet!

Lockes biological passport discrepancies are not public so saying well he's had glandular fever and linking that to PED abuse (a tenuous link) is pretty weak speculation but was phrased strongly.

I thought the glandular fever thing was supposed to be an explanation of his poor performances rather than a hint at doping, but I may be misreading.

But isnt the real back story how Locke's tests came to be released into the public?

Well, take this with a pinch of salt because it's no more than innuendo, but it seems like quite a coincidence that a negative story about a Brit cyclist should be leaked at the same time as a Brit is elected as the new president of the UCI on a platform of cleaning up the sport.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Lets just wait and see what comes out before jumping to conclusions.

Quite. At the moment, there isn't even a formal allegation of wrongdoing, just a hint of "something that needs investigating". And so he's being investigated. I bet these anomalies crop up more often than we know about. Investigating them is what the authorities are there to do. It's only when their investigations turn up suspicious results that it gets reported. And we now know that historically, even some of those suspicious findings don't always get reported.

Booyaa

Veteran
So are we allowed to speculate about people doping or do we need to provide screeds of scientific evidence to back it up first?

OP
OP
Strathlubnaig
but it seems like quite a coincidence that a negative story about a Brit cyclist should be leaked at the same time as a Brit is elected as the new president of the UCI on a platform of cleaning up the sport.
The story about JTL was in the news the night before the UCI meeting and subsequent election, which Cookson could well have lost, that's a red herring theory.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Cyclingnews is reporting that Endura Racing say that JTL was assessed physiologically by both Garmin and Sky during the period in question and neither reported any anomolies. He also trained with Sky extensively during this period - which does make it a bit weird that Sky has basically said that this is none of their business (apart from the fact that they are trying to avoid commenting on what should be a confidential process, of course).

The BBC reporting on the same statement emphasizes the claim that JTL asked the UCI if he could be part of the biological passport program (it wasn't compulsory for pro-conti teams) and they refused.

On another note, the posts on the Cyclingnews site about the JTL case are verging on the insane. Mind you, a lot of it seems to be down to one guy, who seems to be a sock puppet connected to McQuaid (who also just posted under a different story that the reason why 146 riders didn't finish the World's and that teams are going under is... Brian Cookson - lolwut?)

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The story about JTL was in the news the night before the UCI meeting and subsequent election, which Cookson could well have lost, that's a red herring theory.

Au contraire, I'd say that if you want to influence an election, putting a damaging story out the night before it happens would be ideal timing.

(I don't really believe this is the actual explanation for the leak, by the way, I'm just throwing more baseless speculation into the discussion for the fun of it.)

U

User169

Au contraire, I'd say that if you want to influence an election, putting a damaging story out the night before it happens would be ideal timing.

(I don't really believe this is the actual explanation for the leak, by the way, I'm just throwing more baseless speculation into the discussion for the fun of it.)

McQuaid's son is JTL's agent.

Top Bottom