Just how much "unwanted gold" do you have in your house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What is this an anti-recycling thread!

All the ad does is remind you that your gold has an intrinsic value (unlike most items you dont use any more and throw in a cupboard) and that you can get some money for it.

What is the problem with that? There is a similar one for old mobile phones which have a bit of gold and other recyclable metals in them.

Velorum

Over The Hill said:
What is this an anti-recycling thread!

All the ad does is remind you that your gold has an intrinsic value (unlike most items you dont use any more and throw in a cupboard) and that you can get some money for it.

What is the problem with that? There is a similar one for old mobile phones which have a bit of gold and other recyclable metals in them.

I think that its more about shite adverts aimed at the gullible.

;)

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Velorum said:
I think that its more about shite adverts aimed at the gullible.

;)

Indeed it is. I heard they are offering "up to £500 an ounce". Now forgive me if I'm wrong, but gold is currently selling for around £1000 an ounce so you would indeed have to gullible to go with these people. Not to mention the inevitable discrepancy between your estimated weight (if you bother to actually weigh it) and their claim as to what it weighs. Add that to the number of items that "go missing in the post" and all in all, you can hardly claim this company is doing it for altruistic "re-cycling" reasons, really.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I suppose the thing is, yes, they are paying under the odds, but how many people with a bit of unwanted jewellery are going to even think of selling it through the normal channels (whatever they are - surely any pawnborker or jeweller pay a price that will make them a decent profit). It's quite possible to buy or sell a house without paying out for estate agents, or to buy or sell a car privately and get a better deal than if the dealer takes a cut. But most people don't want the hassle. Someone offers to do something for you, and take a cut...

Personally, I doubt I own even half an ounce of gold, but there must be people out there with loads - the sort of people (mainly women, I suspect) who get given jewellery evey Christmas and birthday and anniversary, because neither they or their other halves can think of anything more interesting...

Top Bottom