Just seen a cyclist arrested and taken away outside my office.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
The guidance (which another poster has provided) doesn't make it legal, it just means the police are less likely to enforce the law. My question is why this is OK? By the same token, the Met don't enforce against car drivers entering ASLs - does it make it OK to break that law?
No one said it's ok. If you're going to get all hard on people, get hard on the people you'd do anyway so in the case of pavement cycling that's the inconsiderate ones currently.

As to ASLs, leaving aside the fact that they are a complete waste of space; taxpayers money etc and conform almost exactly to the blindspot of a truck, I've never seen a police officer ignore someone that they saw driving into an ASL which I believe is a key part of the law: they have to actually see you drive into it not just be in it.

Brandane

Legendary Member
What a waste of money, why couldn't the trial and execution have been carried out on the scene?
No, no, no! Think modern attitudes towards such things. The nice Policeman should have said "Terribly sorry sir, but it appears from our records that you might have unintentionally forgotten to pay a fine which was more than likely unfairly imposed on you in the first place. Now sir, if you can find the time, would you please nip down to a Police office and pay the outstanding amount. Only if you have enough cash left over after your cigs, beer, and visits to the bookies, of course. Sorry to have bothered you Sir; be careful about those pesky red traffic lights, and have a nice day."

OP
OP
M

Markymark

[QUOTE 3930553, member: 45"]So they arrested a criminal with an unpaid fine.

What does that have to do with the imaginary police harassment of cyclists?[/QUOTE]
Nothing. It seemed over the top considering the cars steaming passed whikst it was happening.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My apologies. I have removed my original post.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Too many assumptions made on your part - as to what I was doing or failing to do.
I had checked that my way was clear and the traffic stationary behind the red lights to my right and left ...
Assumption nothing. The previous post says "I wasn't expecting anyone to be coming from his direction" which misled me, if you checked that the way was clear.

Crandoggler

Suppose your opinion would be the same if it was a motorist jumping 2 red lights and had an outstanding unpaid fine? :rolleyes:

Drago

Legendary Member
Handcuffs and back of the van seems a little excessive to me. He was honest about who he was as they did a identification thing about scars with him.
excessive? It's not a punishment - It's for both his safety and that of the officers.

If he'd paid his fines and/or not drawn attention to himself he wouldn't have ended up wearing them - that behaviour was his choice, and his alone.

Top Bottom