Just when you think you're fit....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyingfox

I went to Bedford today to support Esher Rugby Club - (unfortunately it was a whitewash).

After the game a lot of the kids went onto the pitch to play kick about.
5 of us got 'persuaded' to play touch rugby with a friend's 9 year old. Talk about being exhausted and out of breath after 20 minutes of running around. I thought I was pretty fit, but obviously not when it comes to other activities. Anyone else had this deflating experience??

puddleglum

Well, I find walking at any kind of speed flippin hard work, so forget about jumping or running! The only other exercise I'm good for is climbing a few flights of stairs at work, but I suspect that's because it uses a lot of the same muscles as cycling.
Cycling seems to have increased my base fitness overall, but not with anything that jars my back or joints in general.

Running isn't a very good idea, I find...and walking for a long time cripples me in the hip flexors and calves.

But yes, cycling is an incredibly specialized activity which means we are likely to be rubbish at anything that isn't cycling.

yenrod

Cycling is simply good for nothing else BUT that.

And it gives you a cardio-cascular system second to not many sports other than it !

Brains

Legendary Member
I do a lot of mountain walking with teenagers. I'm now older than a lot of their parents.

Still beat nearly all of them up a mountain without trying to hard.

The last of the 'fit kids' were born in the early/mid 70's. Up until that point they would give us a run for our money up a mountain, since that time although we get one year older each year, whilst they stay the same age each year. We win.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I'm sure if I only did cycling then I'd be the same (i.e thinking I was fit but finding out that actually I'm just cycling fit)... but I play 5-a-side twice a week and also squash and/or badminton on a fairly regular basis so I'd now like to think I'd be okay at most physical exertion type things... I'm sure someone will be along to say how Welly Wanging would cripple me though.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Cycling has made me pretty fit. I can run(when i want to) for a good distance.
The other week i forgot i had a morning paper round, and i had to be leaving the house in 20mins so i could get down to the meeting point to meet a mate to go into Derbyshire. The paper round was a mile long. I did it in about 15mins(thats with having a full paper bag and delivering papers) then got home, got changed and bombed it(6miles with a haeadwind) down to Lowdham. I got there early aswell:biggrin:
Now before i was cycling, i wouldnt of been able to do that, so i think it does give you a good fitness.
That was the only running i had done for a long time aswell.
I think its because i ride fixed;)

bonj2

i do sports other than cycling, also do swimming, but couldn't play rugby or football to save my life... my basic philosophy in school rugby/football was "avoid the ball"
... as such it was largely boring

and running - nah, too hard on the knees

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I hate football, rugby i dont mind.
The main problem with football is i have too much temptation to just blast the ball where ever i feel like, and apparently my tackles are abit hard:rolleyes:
Football is a wimps game.
In rugby im alright, except i normaly cant be arsed:wacko: And most of the other players will weigh more then me so will squash me:wacko:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
bonj said:
i do sports other than cycling, also do swimming, but couldn't play rugby or football to save my life... my basic philosophy in school rugby/football was "avoid the ball"
... as such it was largely boring

and running - nah, too hard on the knees

I know what you mean like sex is hard on the elbows:wacko:

Top Bottom