Just when you think you're fit....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

papercorn2000

I had a kick about with the school kids (on a residential about 4 weeks ago) and although I can still run rings round them, I went over on an ankle that i injured in 1997, it's still a bit sore today..:laugh:

I'll stick with cycling and the odd bit of hill-running.

A couple of years ago after I done my IT band and physio etc, I was cycling distances again no problem. I then decided to go for a long walk one day the shin splints were agony.

jpembroke

I ran up Snowdon yesterday. As I left Pen-y-pass car park there were a load of school kids leaving at the same time. I got to the top in about 45-50 minutes, stopped for a chat with someone then tanked it back down, passing same kids who had only made it about 1/4 of the way up and were looking seriously p*ssed off and ill. Also, I've got a mate who's a geology lecturer and he says it's a bloody nightmare taking students on fieldtrips; they just wheeze and moan all the time. Nah, kids aren't fit these days. I guess I'm talking about teenagers mind; 9 year olds are a different matter. It must all go wrong somewhere around their 13th birthday.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I went up jacobs ladder in Cheddar Gorge, i ran up it, only being slowed down b y slower people going up. My brother had a few rest stops, and so did many other people.
I ran down it again, and there were these 2(very nice looking) woman going up in their early 20s, they got to the first rest stop and wanted to go back down:eek:
Thats pretty worrying, the first rest stop place isnt that far up:wacko::laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I climbed mountains from age 8 to age about 30, when I rediscovered cycling. It shot me into a different league of fitness and now I can romp up anything hardly getting out of breath.

The problems begin when I come down - it KILLS my feet and legs, especially my quads. After a Scotttish day out I can't walk for 2-3 days.

Cycling is pretty good for ski touring though - the skinning up action is similar and coming down you just need good leg strength and technique.

montage

God Almighty
I do/did a fair bit of trail running/fel running before cycling... Now I only run once a week on average(more if I have a running event coming up) but fair pretty well I guess. Training for the marines at the moment - so overall fitness is pretty good (towards marine selection in october I will taper off cycling onto running)

I would hazard a guess that any of us "teens" on this forum are within the top 1% fitness wise of our age catagories.... blame computer games and maccy Ds!

I just hate injuries that come with sports - shin splints when I ran, now knees are screwed...when will it end!?

jpembroke

rich p said:
I can cycle a couple of thousand miles every day but 10 minutes shopping and I have to lie down.

I know what you mean - I suffer badly from M&S leg. Just a minute or so in that shop and I'm knackered.

Top Bottom