Knocked a cyclist off their bike? No problem...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al78

Guru
I don't understand the police reaction. When I got hit and nearly killed last year, same cause, a lapse of concentration, the driver admitted to driving without due care and attention, went to court, pled guilty and received a fine and penalty points. It is as if they somehow decided that because the cyclist suffered only minor injuries, that somehow vindicates the driver, which is illogical.

Joeletaxi

Regular
Just viewed the vid. This looks like a classic case of motorist in a hurry and not even bothering to look. The driver barely pauses and certainly doesnt stop. Its just up to the junction and pretty much straight out.

Being an advocate of hi vis (!), i do think that if cyclist had been wearing one, it might just have given a moment of pause where the lazy motorist might have seen a flash of bright yellow in his/her right eye, but then maybe not. Could the police have off handed it as easily if cyclist had hi vis vest? Maybe not..who knows..either way its clearly driving without due care and attention. I do think there is still a perception that people falling or being knocked of their bikes is akin to some kind of slapstick seaside postcard. If it were children in buggies being rammed,there would be an outcry im sure!

Drago

Legendary Member
You're an advocate of Hi Vis, eh Joe? I must confess, id like to believe, but none of the few studies that have been done have demonstrated that the conspicuity translates into a safety benefit. If you know of something that does then please share it with us.

Top Bottom