Large Hadron Collider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeitup

Veteran
yenrod said:
I heard about it quite a while back but now its all making sense.

The LHC will allow employers to 'manouvre' time.

Bastards!! Dont they get enough work out of us??? :thumbsup:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Night Train said:
The theory is that black holes do emit particles, known as Hawkin radiation. Large black holes attract far more mass then they can emit whereas tiny ones emit more then they attract and so evaporate away.
It is theorised that the collision of particles causing black holes is happening all the time through the bombardment of cosmic rays. These are tiny and evaporate away hence the lack of black holes all over the place.

Well I just hope you've got that right.

I had a splendid view of the alps from my office window this morning. If any valleys suddenly start appearing, I will let you all know.

Mr Phoebus

If this is truly "the end" then I should really be visiting my LBS
and purchasing some fine Italian steed that is priced at over £5,000
with my credit card. :wacko::tongue::tongue:

But I don't want to spend Wednesday evening and beyond thinking: "OH, F**k!". :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Andy in Sig said:
What I can't get my head round is that idea that if it does produce a black hole "it will only be a tiny one". Doesn't that miss the point as black holes just swallow everything around them until they become anything other than tiny? Or didn't I read my copy of A Brief History Of Time carefully enough?

Read Warped Passages by Lisa Randall who used to work at Harvard and MIT!

LLB

mikeitup said:
Yes I have. most hilarious book I have ever read.
pmsl all the way through it. :rolleyes:

I like a good yarn too ;)

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
benborp said:
If something were to go a bit wobbly and reality as we know it collapse in on itself etc. It would all happen quite quickly.

I don't think that as an Englishman I would allow a foreign (Swiss for God's sake!) black hole to prevent me dashing off a quick expletive littered email about rapidly disappearing mountains.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
John the Monkey said:
Possibly the most educational rap ever (other than that Mr T one about staying in school, probably).

I remember reading that, as expensive as the LHC is, it's still cheaper than the (current) cost of the London 2012 olympics...

But once this thing's done whatever it's meant to do there are no facilities which Joe Public can come along and use, unless you let kids play sub-atomic marbles.

Canrider

Guru
You forgot the milky tea and the cups of instant coffee..actually, no, they probably already have those.

Top Bottom