Large Hadron Collider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Y

yenrod

The Velvet Curtain said:
These throretical physicists sure know how to party.

The worlds gonna end by these people and they are dancing ????????? :smile:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I heard an anecdote likening the LHC with the first atom bomb tests.
Apparently some scientists predicted that once the bomb was detonated it would burn all the oxygen in the atmosphere!:biggrin:

Mr Pig

tdr1nka said:
some scientists predicted that once the bomb was detonated it would burn all the oxygen in the atmosphere!:biggrin:

The bottom line is that if these clowns keep pushing buttons sooner or later they are going to f*** up.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
What I can't get my head round is that idea that if it does produce a black hole "it will only be a tiny one". Doesn't that miss the point as black holes just swallow everything around them until they become anything other than tiny? Or didn't I read my copy of A Brief History Of Time carefully enough?

Night Train

Maker of Things
Andy in Sig said:
What I can't get my head round is that idea that if it does produce a black hole "it will only be a tiny one". Doesn't that miss the point as black holes just swallow everything around them until they become anything other than tiny? Or didn't I read my copy of A Brief History Of Time carefully enough?
The theory is that black holes do emit particles, known as Hawkin radiation. Large black holes attract far more mass then they can emit whereas tiny ones emit more then they attract and so evaporate away.
It is theorised that the collision of particles causing black holes is happening all the time through the bombardment of cosmic rays. These are tiny and evaporate away hence the lack of black holes all over the place.

Top Bottom