Large Hadron Collider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
If it was in Germany there would be an excellent cafe with immaculate toilets, a pond full of thriving fish, a play area with no dogs allowed signs and a visitor centre which would be depressingly heavy on how nasty atom scientists who worked for Adolf were.

Anyone see Professor Higgs on TV last night explaining what a Higgs Bosun 'is', in about 30 secs..? He didn't do very well. :biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It is a somewhat strange choice. In the past Weinberg used to get dragged out to explain stuff as he's somewhat more telegenic than a lot of the others and a lot more tv stuff and books.

Night Train

Maker of Things
andyoxon said:
Anyone see Professor Higgs on TV last night explaining what a Higgs Bosun 'is', in about 30 secs..? He didn't do very well. :tongue:
So do we now all know what it is we are looking for? Anyone who still doesn't know what the Higgs Boson (aka the Higgs particle, aka the God particle, aka the Higgs field) is please raise your hand. :biggrin:

Night Train

Maker of Things
Uncle Mort said:
Is it a kind of terrier? :tongue:
You have both hands raised there, Uncle Mort.
No, I am not a Physicist, but I think it is unlikely to be a kind of terrier, though I could be wrong. Though if it were they may have spotted one by now for considerably less money.:tongue:

gbb

Legendary Member
I heard a great interview on the radio this morning...they were talking to a scientist about the fears that the experiment could unleash world ending disaster...
'absolute rubbish'....'the black hole that will be generated will be almost sub atomic in size. it will have the equivelent energy of.......two mosquitos' :smile::biggrin:

He was deadly serious...i dont think he realised how funny it sounded....well, to me anyway ;):wacko::biggrin:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
gbb said:
....'the black hole that will be generated will be almost sub atomic in size'...

I thought that was the whole point?;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well it won't be cranked up till after the winter, so have a good Xmas... they did bugger all with it today.......... fine tuning over the winter..my ass.....and the rest of your asses............

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Andy in Sig said:
I don't think that as an Englishman I would allow a foreign (Swiss for God's sake!) black hole to prevent me dashing off a quick expletive littered email about rapidly disappearing mountains.
Only half of it is in Switzerland. The Swiss half of the black hole would run on time and swallow up its half of the Earth in no time at all. The French half of the black hole would go on strike for 48 hours for reasons which will never become clear before resuming effect with nothing changed.

Top Bottom