Lazy sods!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've never cleaned my gutters. I didn't know I was supposed to. What disasters have I stored up for myself?
Me too, and I've been in the same place 25 years. Mind you, it rains constantly, so they don't get a chance to clog up!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Leaves in gutters isn't that big a problem, it's the removing of them that is the main problem to most folk as they can't get up there to do it. I often get asked to check someone's gutters as they are pouring over, but my ladder wont reach high enough for many, especially Victorian houses. Once you're up there a trowel and a bit of elbow grease is all you need. Moss also builds up causing problems but it's quite fun to pull it out as it tends to come out in one piece like a very long narrow piece of turf. One of the biggest gutter/downspout blockers are tennis balls. Children hit or throw them onto a roof, they land in the gutter then eventually follow the flow of the rainwater to the top of the downspout to block it completely
Bay windows also suffer leaks if water builds up on the flat leaded roof. Some i go to have about 4 inches of water on top. All it needs is to prod the drainage hole every now and then to keep it clear, but many don't bother so they develop a leak.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

If it's pine needles, you are probably right. Ordinary leaves will turn to sludge eventually and wash down the downpipe. Can you chop the tree down?
It`s outside my boundary, and in a row of trees, even if I was to do it "crafty" the gap would stand out like a sore thumb. I would assume it`s a council issue, but they aren`t interested, I`ve tried before

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Our gutters need doing........

Trouble is its 6 stories up, with another 30' drop down to the river below that.....

Last time we had it done it was a full scaffolding job and cost a bloody fortune.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've never cleaned my gutters. I didn't know I was supposed to. What disasters have I stored up for myself?

If they are draining OK you are fine. If not, then the water can damage brickwork and or get into the fabric of the house. Some folk take things too seriously.

screenman

Legendary Member
I do read them again, but for me being so called middle class has nothing to do with being poor or living in rented accommodation.

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

Any mods online? Please close this thread, it`s got beyond stupid now. Thanks to those who had sensible contributions to add

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom