Leeds to Scarborough Saturday September 24: The Yorkshire Adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
[QUOTE 4274320, member: 9609"]This is why I would like to see the route so as I could put a time on it, then I would get an idea if I would fit in, I'm slow and there won't be much fun me trying to keep up or others having to wait. If this is a team club run with averages in excess of 17mph then I just would not be able to keep up. (I don't pedal above 12mph)

I regularly cycle the 50 miles to my mothers which includes 2600' ascent and that takes me 6½ hours (inc all stops)

Also, is insurance and helmets needed ? I have neither.[/QUOTE]

I'll have a route in a couple of days. It will be about 80 miles and will be about 2600ft of climbing all in

The way it will work is just the same as the ride I ran Manchester - Llandudno. I haven't decided exactly what the stopping schedule will be yet but everyone stays together until the first stop. After that we tend to split into smaller groups depending on how fast people want to ride and what time they want to arrive.

Without headwind/tailwind I think most of the group rode about 12-13mph. If you really can't manage that speed then maybe doing some of the ride may suit you better. However, it is often surprising the speed you go at in a group compared to riding alone. Most important is that you don't feel pressured to ride too fast but you also need to be comfortable that you can ride at a pace that will get you to Scarborough at a reasonable time. That's up to every participant to assess for themselves.

No insurance needed. Wear whatever you like

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
No insurance needed. Wear whatever you like

Dinner suit for me then
Cycling-Suit-Inspired-By-Pee-Wee-Hermans-Outfit2.jpg

mike3121

[QUOTE 4274320, member: 9609"]This is why I would like to see the route so as I could put a time on it, then I would get an idea if I would fit in, I'm slow and there won't be much fun me trying to keep up or others having to wait. If this is a team club run with averages in excess of 17mph then I just would not be able to keep up. (I don't pedal above 12mph)

I regularly cycle the 50 miles to my mothers which only includes 2600' ascent so mostly flat and that takes me 6½ hours (inc all stops)

Also, is insurance and helmets needed ? I have neither.[/QUOTE]

my speed was in excess of 17mph coming down the hill leading into Llandudno, it soon dropped to below 10mph once we got onto the flat, the last mile is always the hardest

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Here's the draft route:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13665401

As usual this route is subject to change. I will let everyone know when it is in final form that you can use for navigating on the day.

A few comments:

1) Big thanks to the Leeds locals @growingvegetables @NorthernDave @User46386 for getting a sensible route out of the city. Leeds is not easy to cycle out of as the train station is very central and there are some major roads running through the middle of the city

2) The route is 80 flat miles. OK, there are a few little hills but for those that have done it, it is slightly less hilly than the flat Manchester - Llandudno route. Once out of Leeds it is almost all quiet lanes as we meander through E Yorkshire sticking mainly to the flood plains and river valleys

3) As it is so rural there are limited refuelling options. As a result I propose making this a two stop ride. Have something to eat at Leeds Station before leaving. Then a stop at 25 miles in Cawood at a café. Then another stop at 55 miles in Malton. That should be enough to get us to Scarborough where the fish and chips await

4) I will plot and offer a hiller and slightly longer variant of this route which will leave Malton (our second stop) and will divert into the southern part of the North Yorkshire Moors. Entirely up to individuals which route they prefer. I would say that that hiller Llandudno route was largely to avoid a busy and rather ugly road.. We have no such problems with this flat route.

5) I think the Leeds locals would agree that the first few miles are not particularly easy cycling so for those participants who don't like the idea of cycling out of the city I will propose another meet up point near Crossgates station. Riders could take a local train from Leeds station to Crossgates station if they fel that cycling out of the city was a dealbreaker. That would shorten the ride to something like 70 miles

doughnut

Veteran
5) I think the Leeds locals would agree that the first few miles are not particularly easy cycling so for those participants who don't like the idea of cycling out of the city I will propose another meet up point near Crossgates station.
Had to zoom in there a bit to confirm you hadn't got us riding for a few miles down the M1. I was all set to wear a nappy under my lycra if that was the case.:eek:

mythste

Veteran
Here's the draft route:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13665401

As usual this route is subject to change. I will let everyone know when it is in final form that you can use for navigating on the day.

A few comments:

1) Big thanks to the Leeds locals @growingvegetables @NorthernDave @User46386 for getting a sensible route out of the city. Leeds is not easy to cycle out of as the train station is very central and there are some major roads running through the middle of the city

2) The route is 80 flat miles. OK, there are a few little hills but for those that have done it, it is slightly less hilly than the flat Manchester - Llandudno route. Once out of Leeds it is almost all quiet lanes as we meander through E Yorkshire sticking mainly to the flood plains and river valleys

3) As it is so rural there are limited refuelling options. As a result I propose making this a two stop ride. Have something to eat at Leeds Station before leaving. Then a stop at 25 miles in Cawood at a café. Then another stop at 55 miles in Malton. That should be enough to get us to Scarborough where the fish and chips await

4) I will plot and offer a hiller and slightly longer variant of this route which will leave Malton (our second stop) and will divert into the southern part of the North Yorkshire Moors. Entirely up to individuals which route they prefer. I would say that that hiller Llandudno route was largely to avoid a busy and rather ugly road.. We have no such problems with this flat route.

5) I think the Leeds locals would agree that the first few miles are not particularly easy cycling so for those participants who don't like the idea of cycling out of the city I will propose another meet up point near Crossgates station. Riders could take a local train from Leeds station to Crossgates station if they fel that cycling out of the city was a dealbreaker. That would shorten the ride to something like 70 miles

Again Nicky, you've outdone yourself!

Had to zoom in there a bit to confirm you hadn't got us riding for a few miles down the M1. I was all set to wear a nappy under my lycra if that was the case.:eek:
^_^
Honest - it's one of the finest bits of riding on the whole route out of Leeds!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well Nick, I don't know what I have done to offend you but once again you have picked a weekend when I am working. Nights from Thu to Sun inclusive :sad:

I thought you would have wanted me on the team as one of the stalwart supporters of your previous rides (well, I have done 2). I know I let myself down a little on the Glossop pub crawl but that was a while ago and I thought all that would be behind us :blush:

Anyway, much as I would love to be on this ride (and the possibility of sharing a room with Rich P) I really can't justify taking a minimum of two nights and realistically all 4 off from work just for a little bike jolly to the seaside. I will continue to watch this thread with interest and if there are any changes to my work arrangements (unlikely) I will be on the list quick as a shot :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can't yet commit to joining you on this one but I liked Scarborough and the surrounding area when I went there for the recent Tour de Yorkshire sportive (TdYs). It would be good to do another ride out there, especially with y'all, so please add my name to the "Expressions of Interest" list. :okay:

Being boring, tight, and sober these days though, I would stop for the fish and chips but would not join you for the drunken debauchery afterwards! :whistle:

The TdYs took us through Dalby Forest from E to W. I assume that the hilly variant of The Yorkshire Adventure would do that from W to E? I would be up for that if anybody wanted company for it, subject to reasonable weather conditions and enough time to do it and get back to Scarborough for fish and chips before my train home.

Looking at the draft route, I see that it enters Scarborough on the A64 and therefore passes very close to Oliver's Mount. I went up that on the TdYs and enjoyed the spectacular views from the war memorial at the summit looking down over Scarborough and the sea beyond. It would be a very worthwhile extra 3.5 miles for anybody who fancied taking some scenic photos..

Slioch

Guru
That route looks a cracker. I've been keeping an eye on this thread as I'd love to do it, but the logistics of work etc in September are still an unknown so I haven't thrown my hat into the ring yet.

As a local who has cycled much of this route may I offer the following observations..........

1) For history lovers, the route passes the site of the Battle of Towton (War of the Roses) just south of Towton at mile 16. There is a battle field "trail" here with information boards at various points. Well worth an hour of your time if that kind of thing rings your bell.
2) The route immediately after Towton (miles 17 to 18) is on farm tracks. For people with skinny tyres it may be worthwhile staying on the A162 north from Towton for half a mile, then turning right onto the B1223.
3) The route from Mile 18 to Cawood is flatter than a flat thing that has been run over by the worlds biggest steamroller. For lovers of all things flat, this will be the happiest 6 miles of their lives.
4) Re' a potential cafe stop in Cawood. A mile before the village at around mile 23 you pass the Cawood Park caravan site on your right, with Mrs B's Lakeside Kitchen. I've not been there personally, but have heard good things about it from friends who live locally. It might be worthwhile forewarning them so they can get sufficient sausage rolls in.
5) The route between Stamford Bridge & Malton (miles 42 to 54) is, for my money, one of the most fantastically scenic bits of riding anywhere in this part of the country, It's rolling countryside, but nothing too challenging. The scenery around there is stunning, and I hope you get a bright day to be able to appreciate it.
6) And for people with time to kill the following day, there's always the old cinder track from Scarborough to Whitby. This can be a bit rough & boggy in places for skinny tyres, but takes in some beautiful scenery and coastline. Robin Hoods Bay, if you are able to get that far, is surreal.

:okay:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Well Nick, I don't know what I have done to offend you but once again you have picked a weekend when I am working. Nights from Thu to Sun inclusive :sad:

I thought you would have wanted me on the team as one of the stalwart supporters of your previous rides (well, I have done 2). I know I let myself down a little on the Glossop pub crawl but that was a while ago and I thought all that would be behind us :blush:

Anyway, much as I would love to be on this ride (and the possibility of sharing a room with Rich P) I really can't justify taking a minimum of two nights and realistically all 4 off from work just for a little bike jolly to the seaside. I will continue to watch this thread with interest and if there are any changes to my work arrangements (unlikely) I will be on the list quick as a shot :okay:

Sorry Skol. It's always a nightmare picking a date as there's always someone miffed. A little crumb of comfort.....we will do the Friday night carb loading again in Manchester if you can make it. Nothing too heavy, even if @MossCommuter comes

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
That route looks a cracker. I've been keeping an eye on this thread as I'd love to do it, but the logistics of work etc in September are still an unknown so I haven't thrown my hat into the ring yet.

As a local who has cycled much of this route may I offer the following observations..........

1) For history lovers, the route passes the site of the Battle of Towton (War of the Roses) just south of Towton at mile 16. There is a battle field "trail" here with information boards at various points. Well worth an hour of your time if that kind of thing rings your bell.
2) The route immediately after Towton (miles 17 to 18) is on farm tracks. For people with skinny tyres it may be worthwhile staying on the A162 north from Towton for half a mile, then turning right onto the B1223.
3) The route from Mile 18 to Cawood is flatter than a flat thing that has been run over by the worlds biggest steamroller. For lovers of all things flat, this will be the happiest 6 miles of their lives.
4) Re' a potential cafe stop in Cawood. A mile before the village at around mile 23 you pass the Cawood Park caravan site on your right, with Mrs B's Lakeside Kitchen. I've not been there personally, but have heard good things about it from friends who live locally. It might be worthwhile forewarning them so they can get sufficient sausage rolls in.
5) The route between Stamford Bridge & Malton (miles 42 to 54) is, for my money, one of the most fantastically scenic bits of riding anywhere in this part of the country, It's rolling countryside, but nothing too challenging. The scenery around there is stunning, and I hope you get a bright day to be able to appreciate it.
6) And for people with time to kill the following day, there's always the old cinder track from Scarborough to Whitby. This can be a bit rough & boggy in places for skinny tyres, but takes in some beautiful scenery and coastline. Robin Hoods Bay, if you are able to get that far, is surreal.

:okay:
Thanks for the feedback. I've already identified the Lakeside Kitchen. In truth it's the only café for miles around so good, bad or indifferent....we're going there. It actually looks rather nice.

I'm delighted to accept advice from locals but so as not to clog up the thread I'll PM you to talk about some of your (and my) ideas. I'll stick you on the "expressions of interest" list to get you in the system. No problem if you ultimately can't make it

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I can't yet commit to joining you on this one but I liked Scarborough and the surrounding area when I went there for the recent Tour de Yorkshire sportive (TdYs). It would be good to do another ride out there, especially with y'all, so please add my name to the "Expressions of Interest" list. :okay:

Being boring, tight, and sober these days though, I would stop for the fish and chips but would not join you for the drunken debauchery afterwards! :whistle:

The TdYs took us through Dalby Forest from E to W. I assume that the hilly variant of The Yorkshire Adventure would do that from W to E? I would be up for that if anybody wanted company for it, subject to reasonable weather conditions and enough time to do it and get back to Scarborough for fish and chips before my train home.

Looking at the draft route, I see that it enters Scarborough on the A64 and therefore passes very close to Oliver's Mount. I went up that on the TdYs and enjoyed the spectacular views from the war memorial at the summit looking down over Scarborough and the sea beyond. It would be a very worthwhile extra 3.5 miles for anybody who fancied taking some scenic photos..

Yes, the hilly route would leave Malton and probably go through the Dalby Forest and enter Scarborough from the N rather than the S. I'll have a think about some routing options. No problem about heading back after fish and chips. I suspect some others will do the same

Top Bottom